Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member POLL/Questions

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

Exclamation New Member POLL/Questions

There have been lots of new members join in the last month or so.

Im curious and have a few questions. (Im a curious guy)

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com?

2. Why did you decide to join?

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? No idea

2. Why did you decide to join? Lack of knowledge here

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while?
    Right away

Hope this helps you

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    M Roadster

google search for "bmw forum"

I wanted to join a BMW forum, this one has the most frequent posting

I registered and starting posting within a day or two.

I ask these silly questions for a reason. Anybody can google and find BFC and get free information without joining. I want know why you took the extra effort and joined.

I joined because I like posting on online car forums and it's nice here

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    ^Same here. Googled BMW Forum. Liked the neat tidy and understandable format. Amount of users/info.

I think I actually joined when I had a E28 525e. Wasn't much going on there so I rarely posted. Became more active in reseach of an E34 when I had my Merc 190E.

My Cars
    01 740i Sport
    1. Google search for "e38 Forum"

2. I decided to join because you all seemed very helpful. I was considering buying a 7 and needed a question answered.

3. I lurked for quite some time. Poking around, searching for the information I was looking for. Now I find myself logging on just to see the topics.

4. I didn't post right away only because I didn't need to. As I said, I used the forum as an information resource and honestly, being new to the e38, I have no way to offer help.

All in all, you guys/ gals seem like a great group and it's great to know there is a place like this to ask questions and have fun doing it!

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    Sorry, I am not within the 6 month old rule, BUT I found bf.c by googling E38. Why was I googling E38? Because the one forum that we have local here in Toronto is filled with 3 Series guys and not enough knowledge on the 7's. Now more and more are joining with their 7's, but it still lacks the knowledge available on bf.c, bimmerboard and E38.org
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

My Cars
    1998 750il, 1997 328i
    1. Saw a sticker on James Clay's Bimmerworld car. asked him about BF. He said it was awesome.

2. I am hopelessly lonely and don't have a facebook. Just kidding. my car seemed like a money pit at first, so i thought i might be able to learn some things to save some scratch.

3. technically i lurked for 6 months without a membership. does that count. then i joined and posted right away.

4. i felt like my knowledge was to small to contribute anything worthwhile.

5. though not a question, i feel it was implicit, i am a magician so if anyone needs entertainment for your party, let me know.
    Last edited by Lynn@Bimmerworld; 01-20-2010 at 11:48 AM.

My Cars
    01 750iL

probably Google, don't rightly know...

I finally bought the car.... and this forum seemed to have the best info on the e38. It was also one of the most active

I lurked as a non member for at least a year (maybe 2), maybe more...

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?

Didn't have a car yet, I was using it for research mostly. I had nothing to add to the conversation.
    WTB: Dinan Spring set, for the 750iL

You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."

My Cars
    735i
    Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google

2. Why did you decide to join? Easier for people to answer your questions accurately if they know you and where you're from.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Besides the self introduction post, I'm still lurking.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? Being an Audi > BMW convert I know nothing about Beemers, so it will be some time before I can offer advise.

My Cars
    1998 750il, 1997 328i
    ^^^ be careful. Beemers refers to motorcycles. when talking cars it's bimmers. unless of course you were referring to Frank Beamer of VA Tech...

My Cars
    '00 528i Sport

-
    I Googled 'BMW Forum' like many others; I checked a few out & I like this one best. :-)

- My older brother in Korea bought me a '94 750iL (which might be a Highline...? We'll see when I get pics... I talked about this in my first post.); I wanted to learn more about the car, so I joined.

- I try to be an active poster; I guess I'm doing well... But yes, I do watch too (if that make sense, haha...).
    Last edited by quintquintr; 01-20-2010 at 05:13 PM.

anncam is offline BMW = Broke My Wallet BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95 740IL, 04 Linc LS

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Researching information on parts and how to and my search engine came back with this site and E38.org.

2. Why did you decide to join? Wanted to see if I was getting hosed on the repairs I needed to do.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? I wanted to join right away but the registration process didn't like my email address, so I lurked for a week.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? The info, help, encouragement, conversations and debates have been awesome.

My story, I haven't worked on a car since the early 90's, playing around with a 73 Dodge Charger, 84 RX7 and an 88 Mustang. Those cars were far less complicated (especially the Charger). Parts were easliy identifiable and replaced. When I opened the hood of the 740IL I just closed it and said F that.

I bought the car from my youngest brother who needed money in way. The car would not fetch much as many things needed work. I decided to be generous with his selling price and overpaid, I figured I can give it the needed TLC over time.

After finding this site and reading all the threads, I decided to speed up the process and get this baby back in shape. Thanks to all who have contributed.

anncam (Bill)

If you would be so kind as to reply, I would like to hear from you as OUR goal is to make this the BEST forum.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old.

Ill start with my story:
    Had a very hard to diagnose electrical problem on my car. I googled for help. Found this site. I liked the format and the way help was presented.
    I lurked around a bit, and saw that the people were cool and it seemed like every problem got solved. I started posting to help others. My kinda place. Still here.

It's mind over matter.....
    If you don't mind then it really doesn't matter.

My Cars
    84,94,95,97 740s/745i

- I owned to many BMW's needed info. googled

-needed a to find a place to vent about how much trouble they are so found this place and spilled my heart out and cryed and everyone was very supportive

- right away. "I own 5 BMW's... 4 are 7 series.. FML"

My Cars
    89 735i, 75 malibu
    I bought a 89 BMW 735i It had problems and I don't have money to go to a mechanic especially a BMW mechanic. So I googled the problems I have with mine and this websit popped up. I lurked for a little while then decided to join. I join the forums of just about every car I owned (240sx, 300zx, RX7, MarkVIII, NSX, Caprice, 75 Malibu just to name a few) Still have a couple of those.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

google'd it

needed to know what there was for aftermarket parts out there and performance mods. also a nice title past time to read, talk, and meet new people.

posted the odd time...

after i got to know people, then i started to post more and more... i'm a shy person naturally. that's the way i am.

but for instant with another person, depending what their post is regarding, some people may "cut them up" for it. some people have different opinions and different experiences and it not always agrees with someone else. or people can be noobs just first off... for example... (someone paints flames on their 7) people go right off and call the person a moron for it. well in the future then, maybe that person with the custom paint doesn't want to post anymore, it sort of scares them off. then new comers read their post about the custom paint and then they get the impression, oh there's a bunch of noobs on here, maybe i'll lay low for a while. like a snow ball affect basically...
    Last edited by ProStreetDriver; 01-20-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    2000 740i
    #1 - Had an issue with the hood latch and Googled "2000 BMW 740i hood latch" and struck GOLD. I'd been looking for something like this for a few months but I guess I never asked the right question.

#2 - Had the hood latch question and wanted to tap into the expertise and experience of the forum members.

#3 - joined right away.
    Last edited by mark2280; 01-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.

My Cars
    2023 300XE
    Searching online about servicing info.

I bought a 745 in Nov

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Active right away, I'm a very vBulletin admin/owner of another site, non car related.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation?I had to learn the lingo, but nothing too terriblly bad though.
    Affordable CMS WebSite Design:
    www.3MultiMedia.com

My Bimmer Profile

My Cars
    2001 740iS & 2001 X5

I was considering buying a 540 or 740 and wanted to research the cars on various forums.

I bought a 740i and it was an easy process to join. This forum seemed to have the most activity and the posters seemed friendly & knowledgable.

I'm still lurking and watching until I have something to contribute. I am learning a lot though and appreciate everyone's knowledge/help.

I'm still not technically advanced enough to be involved in many topics/conversations. I've recently replaced my interior cabin air filters and the third brake light bulb, but the information everyone provides gives me the confidence (& info) I'll need to do more challenging work.

I still need to post pics of my car, but the weather hasn't been cooperating.
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 01-21-2010 at 01:40 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740 il, 2004 R1
    1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Asked on the R1-Forum if anyone knew of a good BMW Forum and someone suggested this one.

2. Why did you decide to join? To be honest i just wanted to look at some pictures of other 7's but it would say i needed to be a member, so I said what the hell might as well.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? As you can tell by my join date Oct 05 and my post count, i didnt post for years.

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? When I bought the car i really didnt have any problems for a few years and didnt know much about them anyways. I didnt research anything, I wanted it, I bought it. Also had ppl tell me not to wrench on it cuz theyre a pain in the ass, so i would just let my local indy do work. Then when lil nik nak stuff would arrise i started searching the board.

I have also looked at other boards and this one seems to be the best. Lots of knowledgable ppl always willing to help, easy to navigate, and there isnt a bunch of sponsor banners all over the place.

Keep up the great work everyone

My Cars
    2009 E82 125i M Sport
    1. After buying a bmw 7 series car and trying to locate a forum to learn how to fix various issues.

2. Needed to ask specific questions that i couldn't locate on Google.

3. Lurked for a couple weeks then started posting after being unable to locate my specific issues.

4. People are helpful, but they answer questions in such a way that they assume you already know how to complete certain tasks... Which just leads to more confusion / additional questions.
    Last edited by Bacender; 01-21-2010 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    e38, 72c10, 67tr4a
    i've been on other car forums, mostly mr2oc.com for atleast the last 7/ 8 years...when i got the 7 last year, i knew i had to find a forum for the bmw. i liked the format of this forum because it was similiar to mr2oc (but on a much larger scale)....it is a great resource....i have used it many times this past year to aid me in many of my 7 related projects....i have to admit i do tend to lurk more than post, but im coming around a little more in the last month or so...seems like its been easier to navigate lately???? =)

the only thing with the tech portion of these threads (its not just this board) PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO START POSTING THE SOLUTIONS TO THEIR PROBLEMS!!!! FOLLOW UPS ARE SO IMPORTANT, I HATE SEARCHING THEN READING THROUGH A TON OF THREADS WHERE NO SOLUTION WAS EVER POSTED....ITS VERY HELPFUL TO OTHERS USING THE FORUM. =)
    Last edited by sneakysneaky; 01-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38 740il
    i joined bfc before i got my e38, since i needed to do homework.

i NEVER lurk on a forum. i always post. since i was like 12, i probably have 100,000 thread posts, if i were to sum it up. maybe even more...

My Cars
    95 525i 5-speed
    made an account to look at pictures of a driveshaft in an e32 because I had the same problem with mine, and then realized this is a cool site.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport

1. How did you learn of BimmerForums.com? Google is my friend

2. Why did you decide to join? Camaraderie and quick, knowledgeable answers.

3. Were you an active poster right away or did you "lurk" around and watch for a while? Lurk

4. If you "lurked", Why? Were we forthcoming in our help? Or did you feel perhaps not technically advanced enough to be involved in a conversation? I was in the process of learning about the E39 prior to purchasing one. In the end, I bought an E38 without any regret based on the helpful tips here.

I would like to extend this to any member less than 6 months old. Sorry, but I joined something like 3 months before buying my E38 a year ago. Don't hate me for posting in your "Market research" thread

My Cars
    01 740i Sport, 06 530i

From a buddy that owned a 850.

I bought my first BMW and want to get answers to my questions.

Lurked around for about a week before joining.

I looked around for awhile first to make sure there were not the same sort of attitudes I had encountered on other forums for different hobbies.

Jake

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast