Thread: Intermittent whining type of noise 2001 330i

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

Intermittent whining type of noise 2001 330i

HI guys, thanks in advance.

I have a 2001 BMW 330i (bane of my existence ;-)

In the recent cold when i start my car there has been a noise from under the hood, when i lifted the hood the noise seemed to be coming from one of the belts towards the front ( i dont know anything about mechanics by the way ;-) the noise is worse when idling and when in drive or reverse with foot on brake, if i put into park it is still intermittnelty there but not as bad, after some miles it seems to go away

So i took it to my mechanic and he quoted me the following:

remove pulleys labour $195.50
    A/C Tensioner Pulley $115.00
    ACC Idler Belt Pulley $49.00
    ACC belt tension pulley $89.00
    A/C Belt $26.72
    Alternator Belt $37.30

When i search for some of these parts on pelican parts some of them point to the same item and some i cant find at all, i was not given part numbers on the quote.

does this all seem like it would be the problem and can anyone direct me to the parts i question so i can maybe get someone else to do them if i can get the parts cheaper ?

thanks in advnace guys

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Try posting your problem in the General BMW Mechanical Help section of the forum or having this thread towed there. Given the fact that you have no mechanical know how of your own you pretty much have to trust your mechanic. If you want part numbers for the above parts try RealOEM.com. Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    mmmm forgive me but i cant see how to take this thread to the meachincs section ?

However just as a quick question, the noise has now gone since the cold weather has gone so its back to normal ? is this good ? i mean yes its good but surely if it only did it when it was cold then does it really need over $500 worth of kit doing ?

cheers

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI 5 SPD
    i really doubt you need all of that its likely just a bad belt....

go to an auto parts store and buy some stuff called "Belt dressing" it will come in a spray can

when the engine running spray the belts with the spray and your problem will likely go away for a few months....

BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE MOVING BELTS AND FAN WHILE DOING THIS!!!!!

your belts are likely jsut slipping a little bit ive done this on my old BMW and it solved the squealing problem, apart from that you could have you mechanic just replace the belts....i doubt theres anyhting wrong with the tensioners on a newer car like this.

My Cars
    E46
    same problem happened with me and all it was is the idler pulley. it depends on what kind of whining noise it is