RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Milky deposit in filler cap panic!!!!

My Cars
    323ci e36 manual

Milky deposit in filler cap panic!!!!

I dropped the oil on my 323 e36 150k miles about a month ago just after we had freezing temperatures in England down to -8c for about 2 weeks just checked dipstick seemed ok however oil filler cap had thick yellow sludge on it runs like new never uses any oil or coolant could it be the change in temp ie condensatiion or am I to expect the worse it had a bit on last winter but not as much any ideas thanks!

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Rest easy, it is just condensation.

My Cars
    87 325is
    That is common in cold weather and is simply a sign that the car isn't being driven hard enough and long enough for all of the engine to reach the temperatures necessary to boil of blowby condensates. At the temperatures cited 30-40 minutes of sustained highway speed driving are needed for all of the engine to reach equilibrium temperature.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    323ci e36 manual
    Thank f@@k the oil seemed ok when I drAined it I'll keep an eye on it anyway thanks for your help

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    If it does not disappear after a prolonged drive at full operating temperature, it may be a sign that your CCV system should be overhauled.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    323ci e36 manual
    Ok thanks is that a diy job by any chance

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    It can be, but it does require a degree of mechanical aptitude, as you will have to do some disassembly of external engine components to get at the CCV and associated hoses. There are several good DIYs here on the site.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    323ci e36 manual
    I'm pretty handy with it fitted pas pump overhauled brakes etc but it's come a lot warmer mow so fingers crossed it should be ok anyway now

My Cars
    BMW 330CI
    I had "milky Deposits" on my oil filler cap also. I new it was condensation mixing with the oil that was the cause and didnt bother because it was nothing serious. I didnt realise the trouble that lay ahead ( read my post ). I live in Scotland and we had temps. as low as -15 where I live and it didnt rise above 0 for 4 weeks. I would take the advice from O2Pilot and overhaul the ccv components before you have the same problems as me.

My Cars
    325CI
    It is a easy job to do ( in my opinion ), theres plenty of info on this site regarding it, check on youtube theres even a vidio of someone replacing his.