Thread: M42 Timing Chain Tensioner - Replace Uncompressed - New Question

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36

M42 Timing Chain Tensioner - Replace Uncompressed - New Question

before i get flamed i have searched this and i know a lot of useful info already exists but i'm struggling to find out if it is possible to replace the tensioner while it is uncompressed.

i really don't fancy the posibility of the chain jumping a tooth.

i'm sure i have read somewhere in the past about people who have done this, i just can't find the thread again, sorry!

thanks in advance

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    If you really need to change the tensioner, it's quite simple. There are like 5 parts to it: sleeve, spring, plunger and 2 snap rings? I'm looking at a Haynes manual.. You should get one - very informative. Uncompressed? I think all you do is remove the plug, slide the assembly out, and put it back together the same way. Don't let the spring "spring" out on you - there is abit of force on it and easy to fling the parts onto the ground.

I've never heard of a timing chain jumping, unless the engine has been abused, or has many many miles on it. Pull the valve cover, inspect the timing chain components, and change the gaskets while you're at it?
    Tbd

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I thought 4 cyls had timing belts??????? Just looked on realoem has a chain. nevermind
    Last edited by jmo69; 01-13-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    318is, GSX-R1000

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36
    Quote Originally Posted by richbarn2 View Post
    EXCELLENT! thanks mate that was exactly what i was after. this was the thread i had read before but couldn't remember where, doh!

cheers bud

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Aha! now I know what you meant by "uncompressed". I've never had a new one in my hands before.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1996 328/4/5
    just wondering if any1 needs a timing chain brand new from pelican parts. I bought it and cant remove my old chain so I'm just going to return it. I paid 58+shipping I'll sell it for 50 shipped

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36
    i fitted my new tensioner today uncompressed as per richbarn2's post, thanks again mate!

it was all done in a grand total of about 10 minutes and i don't understand why anyone would install it compressed and wait for the brown trouser moment until the oil gets there.

one tip for anyone doing this is to save yourself any trouble getting in there remove your washer bottle - a two minute job.

hope the pics below help give someone an idea how to do this job, i would deffo recomend it.

remove the washer bottle.

get a breaker bar in there with a 19mm socket.

see the difference in length, new tensioner at bottom will hopefully remove some chain slack.

Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I've never heard of a timing chain jumping, unless the engine has been abused, or has many many miles on it?
    it has 325,000k's so i guess you would say that is high mileage,

pulled the rocker cover today though and was happy with what i saw. i havee to say i don't really know what i'm looking at but it looked good anway

no grooves on the cam lobes so i'm guessing that is a good thing.

also top timing chain rail looks good and the the top of the two side rails look good too. god knows the actual sides are like though. i'm pulling the chain cover soon to replace the front oil seal so i'll check them out then.

Last edited by richardguile; 01-19-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318is, GSX-R1000
    Glad I could help.