Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield trim cost?

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i

Windshield trim cost?

I have the rubber around my windshield starting to crack off, so I need to go get it done. I know it is probably a dealer thing, but in addition to price, I wonder about turnaround time.

I'll either get stuck at Crevier or Pacific.
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I don't "love" BMWs, or even have much of a strong "like" for them, it is that when I get behind the wheel, everything seems right and whatever I do works out perfectly.

anncam is offline BMW = Broke My Wallet BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95 740IL, 04 Linc LS
    My brother installs and repairs windshields. They use the rubber piece all the time. I would imagine any windshield installer would have them. Try Safelite. They're a pretty big windshield manufacturer and installer.

It's mind over matter.....
    If you don't mind then it really doesn't matter.

My Cars
    2000 740 il, 2004 R1
    I think i paid like 30 bucks for it and installed it in like 20 min.

Here it is.

http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts...NE-E38740.aspx
    Last edited by 740R1; 01-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.

My Cars
    01 740iL, 98 M3
    Here you go Tim...

51318125887Windshield Moulding Upper Trim Seal for Front Windshield (Black) $30.01

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL

Check out my write up I did on this issue.

Any windshield replacement company will tell you that you have to take the windshield out to do the job right, that may be true as the gasket should go between the glass. if you are paying out of pocket, you are taking a big chance that the windshield will crack, 50% of the time it supposidely does. therefor i did this myself and am very happy with the results. Check out my write up.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/481753

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il Aspen Silver, 2005 X5 Titanium Grey
    Safelite did my windows for around $360 and that included the rubber trim also. This was done outside of insurance, my deductible would have been $500.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    safelite came to my office to do someone else's car and they told me that somethings were 'dealer only'. perhaps they were being lazy. my detailer told me the samething today too.
    Last edited by TestShoot; 01-13-2010 at 01:11 AM.

I don't "love" BMWs, or even have much of a strong "like" for them, it is that when I get behind the wheel, everything seems right and whatever I do works out perfectly.

My Cars
    e38, 72c10, 67tr4a
    that diy yourself fix looks like the way to go, nice write up. i maybe doing this myself when it warms up....anyone have the number for the lower seal? thanks...

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    Make sure you get an OEM trim piece, not a generic one. These cars are super sensitive when it comes to windshield placement, trim, etc., and if you don't get it right you will get wind noise. For only a few bucks more get OEM. I got mine from BMA Parts. They're in LA and will courier it to you.
    99 facelift E38 gone but not forgotten | 2001 Topaz Blue Z3 3.0 (9/00): ASA AR1's, Kicker sub, stone guards & more

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    i know bma well, that is why i give them the nod in my siggy. when i got the car, the rad blew on a test drive, so i got the car at a steal, went to bma and dropped it in.

bullet performance around the corner told me to go to the dealer and that it should not take long, and with the xm antenna, the trim has to be cut a little.

My Cars
    S500, E320

motoman540 is offline 001101110011010000110000 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95' 740i sold :'(
    When I go over 70 mph I hear a wind related whine that comes from the top of the windshield. Is this trim responsible for this?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Possible. Or your jack pads missing under the frame rails also sound "just like this".
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    9/98 D740iS
    It should be free if your insurance covers the cost of replacing the windshield.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    I have AAA as my insurance company. This was the car getting detailed this week. The upper rubber is basically rotted and cracked on the front, and it looks like someone took a screwdriver to the rubber on the rear windshield, so it is mostly aesthetics, not leaking or anything like that just yet.

My Cars
    2000 740 il, 2004 R1
    Are you looking at replacing the windshield or just the top rubber trim?

Oh and nice lookin car you got there!

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by 740R1 View Post
    Are you looking at replacing the windshield or just the top rubber trim?

Oh and nice lookin car you got there!
    Just the trim, but if the glass gets broken, oh well. Certainly not as expensive as my detail job to replace the glass.

And thanks I love the car a little more each day, eespecially since I have only ever seen one other in my color, and that was just an "i" not an "iL".

My Cars
    2000 740 il, 2004 R1
    Should be ok.

Just a tip....Let the car sit out in the sun for an hour, that'll soften up the rubber trim and make it alot easier to remove. Also let the new strip sit out in the sun, makes it easier to work with.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Mine was replaced on the day I took possession as it was cracked pretty badly. The new rubber stayed in place for about six months then started to lift up and out at speed. I took it to Safelite and they applied some silicone and taped it down for 24 hours. Hasn't come back out since. Luckily Vegas does not get much rain...so there have been no problems (even when it does rain).

My local dealer does not do replacement glass or gaskets...they will farm it out to an auto glass house familiar with the BMW process.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    Errr...you just pull off the two side arms on the windscreen, they pop right out. Then you can just pull out the rubber trim. Then you use a bit of lube and bang the other one in. It's that simple, it's designed so you don't have to go moving the windscreen out of place to replace the trim.

I've got a writeup on the board here. I'll search for it.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...indscreen+Seal

In addition to this, I took out the two rubber tabs in the slot for the trim and made it sit much better.
    Last edited by Aindriu; 01-14-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman540 View Post
    When I go over 70 mph I hear a wind related whine that comes from the top of the windshield. Is this trim responsible for this?
    No. The reveal molding is purely cosmetic and serves no other purpous other than to just fill in the gap between the windshield and roof panel.

A lot of other vehicles don't even have a reveal molding.
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    BMW
    Great DIYs! Its come up almost identical as my E30 molding did.

We have the molding available here if you are in need.

ClickHEREto order or for more information.

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by TestShoot View Post
    I have AAA as my insurance company. This was the car getting detailed this week. The upper rubber is basically rotted and cracked on the front, and it looks like someone took a screwdriver to the rubber on the rear windshield, so it is mostly aesthetics, not leaking or anything like that just yet.

Sweeeett 7 you have!! Love the color!
    Also love that white 69 Camaro that can be seen in the reflection of your door. Oh the days!!

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    01 740iL & 92 GTI
    ^^^I agree

No BITCHASSEDNESS!!

My Cars
    1999 740iL, 2001 Z3
    the molding does not prevent leaks. Even if you remove it totally you will not get water in the cabin. The waterproofing is done with the thick bead of windshield adhesive that holds the windshield in. The molding does, however, play a significant role in reducing wind noise. It smooths out the lip that would exist from the top of the glass to the roofline, plus it keeps wind from blowing across and through the sunroof drain holes that exit underneath. You can't say that it's just cosmetic.
    99 facelift E38 gone but not forgotten | 2001 Topaz Blue Z3 3.0 (9/00): ASA AR1's, Kicker sub, stone guards & more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast