Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a website (pics inside)

My Cars
    1997 328i

Building a website (pics inside)

Hey guys idk where to put this topic. But the shop is local. But neways.

My local shops site is well.......boring and i wanted to spice things up for them. Make it look more "official"

So while at work the past few days i have been coding this site for them.
    I work in IT but im not close to a web coder. I cant get too deep into fancy flash or java coding. I was wondering if i could get some opinions from yous guys.

Good and bad comments welcome.

Sorry about pics i can only do screen shots since the site is not live.
    The only pages that are "done" are the first two screens and last.

Later
    Last edited by Tehshewz; 01-12-2010 at 04:06 PM.

My Cars
    stuff
    It's spelled "upcoming".

With a site like that, you may be better off using a content management system like Joomla, or if the site is staying small, WordPress.

My Cars
    Bmw
    I'm not sure if you're allowed to have manufacturer logo's without permission. Common over-looked problem with newbie designers.

My Cars
    02 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatxx87 View Post
    I'm not sure if you're allowed to have manufacturer logo's without permission. Common over-looked problem with newbie designers.
    Bingo!

My Cars
    stuff
    Yeah. Also consider using .flv instead of youtube linking. Pet peeve of mine on sites and it looks REALLY unprofessional. I feel the same way about Google Maps. If you must have it in there, link to it from the address, or create a separate link. Pick a more tasteful car photograph. Not everyone likes the Johnny Ricer look, so you'd alienate your market before you started. You also don't have much content on the site. Consider creating a <div> for the site content that's only around 750px wide, to include the header graphic/navbar/etc.

I won't go too far in picking apart the design, but really, research basic design theory. I'm more of a developer than a designer, but in freelance work (I'm a FT developer w/a corporation), I do the whole deal. That looks AWFUL. Basic design = why I suggest using a content management system to newbies, and use a good template, and just modify it. Also, I can see that you're developing locally in HTML. Good prototyping idea. Fucking abysmal when it comes to using it. You also want a CMS/at least dynamic code, so that you don't have to be called upon to mess with the raw code every time something needs to be changed on the site. This isn't Geocities in 1999. Times have changed, and this kind of stuff is SO easy now, there's no reason to hard-code a site like this.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedTheory View Post
    Yeah. Also consider using .flv instead of youtube linking. Pet peeve of mine on sites and it looks REALLY unprofessional. I feel the same way about Google Maps. If you must have it in there, link to it from the address, or create a separate link. Pick a more tasteful car photograph. Not everyone likes the Johnny Ricer look, so you'd alienate your market before you started. You also don't have much content on the site. Consider creating a <div> for the site content that's only around 750px wide, to include the header graphic/navbar/etc.

I won't go too far in picking apart the design, but really, research basic design theory. I'm more of a developer than a designer, but in freelance work (I'm a FT developer w/a corporation), I do the whole deal. That looks AWFUL. Basic design = why I suggest using a content management system to newbies, and use a good template, and just modify it. Also, I can see that you're developing locally in HTML. Good prototyping idea. Fucking abysmal when it comes to using it. You also want a CMS/at least dynamic code, so that you don't have to be called upon to mess with the raw code every time something needs to be changed on the site. This isn't Geocities in 1999. Times have changed, and this kind of stuff is SO easy now, there's no reason to hard-code a site like this.
    Thanks for the comments!
    Yeah i have been just doing this in spare time here at work.
    Im waiting for access to the domain so i can install joomla.
    I have been just using this basic HTML thingy to get a ruff idea
    Ill be posting updates as i move along.

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedTheory View Post
    Pet peeve of mine on sites and it looks REALLY unprofessional. I feel the same way about Google Maps. If you must have it in there, link to it from the address, or create a separate link.
    I disagree with your opinion of Google Maps being integrated into a page like he's showing. Personally, I always really like to see that. If I'm going to get directions to a location, odds are super high I'm going to throw the address into Google Maps anyway so having it already done saves me a step or two which I really appreciate.

Cosmos on Black '98.5 M3 Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    98 540i6
    that first car is killing me.

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by antik View Post
    I disagree with your opinion of Google Maps being integrated into a page like he's showing. Personally, I always really like to see that. If I'm going to get directions to a location, odds are super high I'm going to throw the address into Google Maps anyway so having it already done saves me a step or two which I really appreciate.
    I'm not saying to not include the functionality. Again, it'd be best (from a design and professionalism) standpoint to include it as a link. In any case, having your site content dependent upon other sites is an awful idea.

What do I know though, it isn't like I do this for a living or anything

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    I don't know how wed they are to that car being on the front page, but I'd never, ever take my car to a shop whose idea of showing their best was that atrocity. If they must have a modded car as their face, I'd suggest a car that's been enhanced for performance, not "look at me".

If it's a professional business, keep it professional, unless their business is bling.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    stuff
    That being said, if they're trying to market to Bimmerforums, I'd recommend pictures of useless "splitters"/rear wings, headlights with the circle lights around them, and "custom cut" springs. Oh, and 195mm wide tires on a 12in wide wheel.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM3SMG View Post
    I don't know how wed they are to that car being on the front page, but I'd never, ever take my car to a shop whose idea of showing their best was that atrocity. If they must have a modded car as their face, I'd suggest a car that's been enhanced for performance, not "look at me".

If it's a professional business, keep it professional, unless their business is bling.
    Atrocity?! Having seen that car in person I would say its one of the nicest E36 M3 that I have personally seen. Its very well done and different and its won a trophy or two. As far as performance goes it would more than likely pass by your car like it was sitting still. IMO
    95 318Ti my mod list makes M3 drivers angry.....theres a good chance my 318ti owns your M3

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMMAGNUS View Post
    Atrocity?! Having seen that car in person I would say its one of the nicest E36 M3 that I have personally seen. Its very well done and different and its won a trophy or two. As far as performance goes it would more than likely pass by your car like it was sitting still. IMO
    Just because you think it's well done doesn't mean you don't have poor taste.

Performance doesn't mean anything parked at the top of a website. Customers are still going to pass judgement on your shop quickly and that is part of the information they'll use.

Frankly, I don't disagree with George.

My Cars
    1997 328i

Performance doesn't mean anything parked at the top of a website. Customers are still going to pass judgement on your shop quickly and that is part of the information they'll use.

See now, there us a loop hole to your comment.

Just because you don't like the car.
    Doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like the car.

Now, the whole point of this thread was to comment the layout of the site.
    Not jump on the bimmerforum bandwagon and pick at something that is different and doesn't look like a stock, dropped M3 with BBS's.

Later.

My Cars
    318ti

Couldnt the same logic you just used, be used on yourself? I'm not trying to start an argument in someone else's thread but what is wrong with the car? You saw 1 picture of it and from there you decided it was done in poor taste. Is it because its...................wait for it............different!?

Now I realize I may be biased as a local guy who has actually seen the car but this shop may want the attention, should they have used a run of the mill e36 M3 like yours?

One thing I have noticed on these boards lately is that alot of you guys are like sheep being led around by the OEM m3 bumper and mirror shepherds. That car is special because it is different unlike your car which is almost gauranteed to be following along with everyone elses and is more than likely slow as well.
    95 318Ti my mod list makes M3 drivers angry.....theres a good chance my 318ti owns your M3

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    Couldnt the same logic you just used, be used on yourself? I'm not trying to start an argument in someone else's thread but what is wrong with the car? You saw 1 picture of it and from there you decided it was done in poor taste. Is it because its...................wait for it............different!?

Now I realize I may be biased as a local guy who has actually seen the car but this shop may want the attention, should they have used a run of the mill e36 M3 like yours?

One thing I have noticed on these boards lately is that alot of you guys are like sheep being led around by the OEM m3 bumper and mirror shepherds. That car is special because it is different unlike your car which is almost gauranteed to be following along with everyone elses and is more than likely slow as well.
    You're right, my comment applies to myself as well. I intended the suggestion in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehshewz View Post
    See now, there us a loop hole to your comment.

Just because you don't like the car.
    Doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like the car.

Now, the whole point of this thread was to comment the layout of the site.
    Not jump on the bimmerforum bandwagon and pick at something that is different and doesn't look like a stock, dropped M3 with BBS's.

Later.

I can appreciate that different may mean special but if it's business you want, the important consideration isn't what you or I think: it is what your target audience thinks. The entire point of a website is to attract business. IAMMAGNUS has reinforced exactly what you and he are objecting to: the wealth of "sheep" around here might be somewhat representative of the BMW-owning community. Those are the folks whose green you're looking to take and you may be repelling them by showcasing such heavily customized, taste-specific vehicle as your shops' prime accomplishment. Whether or not the same is true for the local BMW-owning demographic is what should be identified and, if necessary, the site should be adjusted accordingly. You clearly have an affinity for the vehicle and that's great but, apparently, not universal which means you might give it a little more consideration.

Content and presence is what the site is lacking. Poor design can be overlooked, forgiven, and improved if what you provide in the meantime is useful. Get the site online and get your customers to provide feedback.

SpeedTheory has a great point: getting the site off a static html, you must hammer it all into a text editor solution, will certainly allow the site to grow faster. A CMS is a great idea.
    Last edited by antik; 01-18-2010 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Atrocity?! Having seen that car in person I would say its one of the nicest E36 M3 that I have personally seen. Its very well done and different and its won a trophy or two.
    And the second I want to put color-matched rims, a two-tone paint job, and a bunch of ground effects, I'll give a call to the person who did that work.

However since I'm more inclined to performance over having the Pimp My Ride crew work on my car, I'd avoid a shop that considers that their best foot forward.

Different doesn't presuppose (or imply) good. Neither does a trophy.

However, you're entitled to your opinion and clearly we differ on what looks good.
    As far as performance goes it would more than likely pass by your car like it was sitting still. IMO
    Quite possibly, if it's had enough work done on it.

There's a laundry list of cars that'll pass my car "like it was sitting still". If they look like that, I'd just assume have them out of my field of view ASAP anyway.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM3SMG View Post
    And the second I want to put color-matched rims, a two-tone paint job, and a bunch of ground effects, I'll give a call to the person who did that work.

However since I'm more inclined to performance over having the Pimp My Ride crew work on my car, I'd avoid a shop that considers that their best foot forward.

Different doesn't presuppose (or imply) good. Neither does a trophy.

However, you're entitled to your opinion and clearly we differ on what looks good.

Quite possibly, if it's had enough work done on it.

There's a laundry list of cars that'll pass my car "like it was sitting still". If they look like that, I'd just assume have them out of my field of view ASAP anyway.
    lol welcome to the fold my sheep like friend. Theres no doubt in my mind most things pass you by much like your car

real quick whats wrong with a 2 tone paint job and color matched wheels? Also where do you even see "a bunch of ground effects"?
    Last edited by IAMMAGNUS; 01-18-2010 at 05:44 PM.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    lol welcome to the fold my sheep like friend. Theres no doubt in my mind most things pass you by much like your car
    Live your dreams, snowflake. Sooner or later, you'll realize the only one looking is you.
    real quick whats wrong with a 2 tone paint job and color matched wheels?
    "color matched wheels"
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    sorry that car is horrible. Two toned, E46 bumper, color matched wheels... I'd take my car elsewhere if I saw that. But if that is the market of people the website is trying to attract then go for it.

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    I guess this thread has strayed from overall site feedback to ripping the picture on the front page.....

In any event, I guess this is my opinion: A company's website is their window to the world. When a potential customer looks at the website, what thoughts and opinions will go through their head? With this particular website, I would think the company specialized in tuners, customizations, etc. Whether this guy or that guy on bfc likes the look of the car is unimportant....

Is the picture indicative of the goods or service you provide? If it is a repair shop, then why drawn attention to a picture of a heavily-customized car? Website visitors will get the impression that the shop actually does the customization. It's not about being "sheep" or trying to "stand out." If you're advertising (and, let's face it, advertising is probably half of what a website is) something that you don't actually sell or do, then that's bad advertising.

I could probably babble on and on about this stuff, but I guess I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by bdr127; 01-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by bdr127 View Post
    I guess this thread has strayed from overall site feedback to ripping the picture on the front page.....

In any event, I guess this is my opinion: A company's website is their window to the world. When a potential customer looks at the website, what thoughts and opinions will go through their head? With this particular website, I would think the company specialized in tuners, customizations, etc. Whether this guy or that guy on bfc likes the look of the car is unimportant....

Is the picture indicative of the goods or service you provide? If it is a repair shop, then why drawn attention to a picture of a heavily-customized car? Website visitors will get the impression that the shop actually does the customization. It's not about being "sheep" or trying to "stand out." If you're advertising (and, let's face it, advertising is probably half of what a website is) something that you don't actually sell or do, then that's bad advertising.

I could probably babble on and on about this stuff, but I guess I'll leave it at that.
    Very well put I couldnt agree more like I said I have seen the car and know the guys at the shop and they do lots of custom fab stuff and swaps google them on BF and you will get a quick idea. They do lots of repair and maintence work as well though.

I got side tracked with other posts in this thread it just bugs me that people cant think out of the box. Even if you dont like the car which is fine thats your business, why go on here and rag on someone else's car which is by far IMHO nicer, more unique, and as far as performance goes lightyears ahead then most. Even if you could redo the car yourself you probally couldnt afford to anyway.

this is to no one in particular just in general. I would love for a few guys in this thread to post pics and list mods of their car.

sorry for the rant

My Cars
    stuff
    Very well put I couldnt agree more like I said I have seen the car and know the guys at the shop and they do lots of custom fab stuff and swaps google them on BF and you will get a quick idea. They do lots of repair and maintence work as well though.

I got side tracked with other posts in this thread it just bugs me that people cant think out of the box. Even if you dont like the car which is fine thats your business, why go on here and rag on someone else's car which is by far IMHO nicer, more unique, and as far as performance goes lightyears ahead then most. Even if you could redo the car yourself you probally couldnt afford to anyway.

this is to no one in particular just in general. I would love for a few guys in this thread to post pics and list mods of their car.

sorry for the rant
    Are you twelve? This thread isn't about that fucking car. Yes, it looks like shit, but some people like polished turds. The OP is trying to market the site. That kind of ricer shit appeals to a VERY small number of people. A clean, well-maintained, stock-looking car appeals to a much larger number of people. He's trying to sell products and service, not get into Hot Import Nights.

My Cars
    2010 335d
    I would put the video of that 325ix doing donuts on the front page. Dont listen to the haters, car looks fantastic!

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    OP: I apologize for straying the talk.

What I was trying to convey, and I guess I could have done better, is that if the point of the shop is to mod cars for show, then the pic is great.

If the point of the shop is to be a repair/maintenance car, a more stock-looking car would be much more appropriate to the intended customer base (which is presumably all BMW drivers).

If the point of the shop is performance modifications, a car that is more distinctly a performance-oriented car (such as a track car, sponsored race car, or one with clearer focus on modifications of a performance nature) would be better.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast