Thread: Do I Have a Problem: Oil Level Sensor?

My Cars
    07 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Do I Have a Problem: Oil Level Sensor?

07 3.0Si with 15,000 miles on the clock with the electronic oil level sensor; no apparent oil consumption problems. Had a dealer oil change for annual low mileage service about 3 months and 2000 miles ago. As a habit I always check oil level each time I use the car. I realize that with someone else performing the oil change, the actual oil level (a little over/exact/a little under) is unknown due to the characteristics of the electronic sensor. I did get a "full" readout after the oil change and for the last 2000 miles since.

On the way up to participate in the Tour de Orange on New Years Day (great event) the oil level readout indicated one increment low, so on my return I added 1/4 liter of 5-30 BMW oil. My expectation was that the readout should now indicate the level at full; the readout still indicates one increment low. Do I add more oil? Another 1/4 liter, less, more? Is this an idiosyncrasy of the sensor? Is the sensor not reading accurately? Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA
    If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Personally, I would trade it in for a car with a dipstick. Relying on an electronic sensor for your oil level is like relying on a TPS monitor for your tire pressure levels. That's why, sadly, I already own the newest BMW I'll ever own...
    ...Short of trading it in, you'll need to have the level checked at a dealer. Which is EXACTLY what they want.
    Last edited by vicj; 01-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quick trivia...

What's the last BMW gasoline inline 6 car to be offered with a dipstick?
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    07 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by the hack View Post
    quick trivia...

What's the last bmw gasoline inline 6 car to be offered with a dipstick?
    z4m?
    If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.