Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Cut Off Switches

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Battery Cut Off Switches

With the cold weather lingering on the east coast, there has been much talk about battery cut off switches. Most do not realize that when BMW shipped the 8 series to the US it had factory installed cut off switches for the battery. My 850 CSi was a BMW NA car for a period of time when it was new, and they did not remove the cut off switches. It was told to me by a friend who was the service manager at a BMW Dealership during the time the 8 was brought in said it was part of the pre-delivery checklist to remove the switches and send them back to BMW. Evidently the 8 was not the only BMW that had this switch. He said they used to send boxes of them back. Here is a picture of my switches which were never removed.

GimmieSumMo72 is offline That's my BOY!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E60 E31 Past: E38 E36
    thats cool... any part # for them?
    1991 850i diamantschwarz metallic w/ 2 toned black/light silver grey interior: Mods: 20% Tints, OEM Style 37 rims (Winter), 18" BBS RG-R's Diamond Black (Summer), M3 Style Lip Spoiler, Wokke V2.0 Chips, Magnaflow 14833's, Dinan Performance Transmission Chip, CSi front spoiler, 3000k 35w Fogs, 5000k 55w Lows, Custom Randy/Dinan Suspension, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, Goodrich SS Brake Lines

2004 530i schwarz-2: Mods: 20% Tints, Powdercoated Black OEM Style 122's (Winter), LED Fogs & Sidemarkers, Staggared Style 166's, Apexcone 55w 3000k lows, LED 20w Angel Eyes

My Cars
    '92 850, 6spd, Black

My Cars
    two 8er 6 speeds + 7ers
    Harbor Freight has the same exact ones.
    CB42613, CB42577, DH29770 and counting...

My Cars
    91 850i, 07 Jeep SRT8
    Off topic: is that the right way to position the floor jack inside of the compartment? I have been putting it the other way around in there haha (which worked well).
    CB01718 850i Lagunengruen Metallic / Silbergrau Leder

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Funny you post this now.

I got mine 2 days ago, as one was up on Ebay.com last month. I have been looking for one for 3 years since I first saw a post about it.

The option is listed as

S818A MAIN BATTERY SWITCH |Battery master switch 900A APPR. VEH.IMMOBILIZAT. ACC. TO AZT/TUEV Electronic immobilizer.

Many people se this on their list, but can't find it. As you said, they were taken out, but I guess a handfull of them got left.

Here's mine

Supposedly there is some piece that goes over the "contra" terminal on this cable where it connects to the negative lead you take off the battery and attach to his.

Can you confirm this?

GimmieSumMo72: There is no part#. I have checked the ETK for ages. The theory that BMW took them out supports this. It's not an item you can buy.

Of course any automotive shop will sell one of these switches (without the cable though) but as an OEM fetishist, it's nice to have the original BMW dealer used version.

These are the only pictures I have ever seen of it (and he one in this topic now) and were the pics that made me aware of this part. They were posted in december 2006 in the Show Me Your Rare Parts thread:

(e36)

As you can see, and from the O/P, the fact that is just lies around the battery and is not bolted to a panel, only confirms the theory more that they were to be taken out at delivery.

PS: switch is made by Hella.
    Last edited by MParallel; 01-13-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Extra info
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    two 8er 6 speeds + 7ers
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    PS: switch is made by Hella.
    Must be a shameless Chinese copy - look the same, but I never had them side-to-side.
    CB42613, CB42577, DH29770 and counting...

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Jenya - I don't think my jack has ever been out of the car, but I don't know if it is the correct way or not.

MParallel - I am not sure if my switch has the silver barrel at the end or not. I'll try to check the weekend.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by cantbl8 View Post
    Must be a shameless Chinese copy - look the same, but I never had them side-to-side.
    What's a shameless copy?

You do know Hella don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    MParallel - I am not sure if my switch has the silver barrel at the end or not. I'll try to check the weekend.
    It will. It's the new "negative" terminal, as the other side (the clamp) of the killswitch will go onto the battery's negative terminal.
    Last edited by MParallel; 01-13-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    With the cold weather lingering on the east coast, there has been much talk about battery cut off switches. Most do not realize that when BMW shipped the 8 series to the US it had factory installed cut off switches for the battery. My 850 CSi was a BMW NA car for a period of time when it was new, and they did not remove the cut off switches. It was told to me by a friend who was the service manager at a BMW Dealership during the time the 8 was brought in said it was part of the pre-delivery checklist to remove the switches and send them back to BMW. Evidently the 8 was not the only BMW that had this switch. He said they used to send boxes of them back. Here is a picture of my switches which were never removed.
    I know its time to bring this one back but has anyone figured out the part number for this item or where I could find a set.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Winks View Post
    I know its time to bring this one back but has anyone figured out the part number for this item or where I could find a set.
    well, if you would read through all the threads in this post, you will see that there is NO part number - why???, because they were never meant for public consumption.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiί Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiί III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840 Ci
    Whichever cut off switch you use, there are several on the market and are universal for all cars and available at numerous auto retail stores, make sure to tender the battery ocassionally with a charger otherwise you will be replacing the battery anyway come spring time.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by bobn8er View Post
    Whichever cut off switch you use, there are several on the market and are universal for all cars and available at numerous auto retail stores, make sure to tender the battery ocassionally with a charger otherwise you will be replacing the battery anyway come spring time.

...batteries (plural)..
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiί Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiί III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840 Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    ...batteries (plural)..
    Thanks for the clarification

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    The "splice" where the cut-off switch mated up with the battery negative wire was simply wrapped with foam, then secured with zip-ties. As I originally stated, they were meant for transportation purposes, then to be removed.

My Cars
    91 850i
    I have a cut-off switch just like in your pic, but just one switch for both batteries. It works great whenever I need to do electrical work on the car. Can't imagine not having one.

You can see part of the switch on the left side:

1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    1989 635 CSi
    I got the one I used in my 944 at WalMart for $13.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    Here is what I was considering buying one of those hella marine switches like this (http://www.hellamarine.com/?a=3&t=3&...ID=212&pcid=37) disconnecting the negative ground bolt on the left hand side of the trunk, taking the two negative battery cables (one for each battery) and connecting to one side of the switch and running a new single negative cable from the other post of the switch back to the negative post on the car.

My Question is that since I have 2 1000 CCA batteries in the trunk is it better to run one switch per battery or will one switch total be fine? There is also the option of running a switch like (http://www.hellamarine.com/?a=3&t=3&...ID=213&pcid=37) though it may be overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    well, if you would read through all the threads in this post, you will see that there is NO part number - why???, because they were never meant for public consumption.
    I have read the post but I was hoping for one of two things to be discovered; first that their is a bmw part number that has slipped through the cracks, or a part identification number that I could use to try and track one down (always good to be optimistic), or secondly their is an aftermarket company that is producing a e31 specific switch.
    Last edited by Winks; 09-25-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E38 728i, 740i /E31 850i
    My battery cut off switch:

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    Quote Originally Posted by hhy2k View Post
    My battery cut off switch:

You don't store yours in winter? I am just sick of a dead battery. I have a problem with my general module and if the car sits for more then 2 days the batteries are shot. I am waiting for winter before I pull out the module and have it repaired. That way the car can be enjoyed up until her winter hibernation. It would be nice to have a quick battery disconnect to use now.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    2 day battery drainage for me meant not enough battery, A new upgraded set will fix your issue.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    I just put in two 1000A interstates, they were the largest batteries I could find and still have the problem. A few fellow members indicated that my problem was the general module. When she goes for her winter sleep I will pull out the GM and see if I can get it tested and repaired. The car does not get run in bad weather so it would be nice to switch off the batteries when not in use.

IcemanBHE is offline Ώpǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Try unplugging the phone module....if you have one.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Try unplugging the phone module....if you have one.
    No the car has the phone delete option.

My Cars
    2012 328 - 2013 750 LiX
    i have a 740 from canada which might have this switch on it. im going to check today..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast