Thread: Short honking sound on cold starts

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Sport

Short honking sound on cold starts

When the weather's cold outside I'm getting a short honking sound coming from the intake system (I think). This only happens when starting the car after it's been sitting for several hours in the cold or overnight. I searched for any other threads related to this and I found one that suggested it was the CCV, so while the engine was running I took the oil cap off to feel for any vacuum coming from in the fill hole. I didn't feel anything. I was just wondering what's causing the noise. Is my CCV starting to go bad?
    Last edited by GlassCity325; 01-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3
    its your car trying to say "Park me in a heated garage".....

I really have no constructive input to your problem sorry, someone else im sure will be able to actually help you.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    How long is "short?" My first guess would be the secondary air pump, just in front of the passenger side strut tower. it runs for a couple minutes after you start the car in cold weather, but if it's wearing out, it might make extra noise when it first gets going.

Have someone else start the car while you stand in front and listen - with the hood up, natch.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Sport
    The sound is short and sharp, almost like a quick tap of the horn but not as loud. I'll check where in the next day or so.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Is it more of a squeal?

Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    How long is "short?" My first guess would be the secondary air pump, just in front of the passenger side strut tower. it runs for a couple minutes after you start the car in cold weather, but if it's wearing out, it might make extra noise when it first gets going.

Have someone else start the car while you stand in front and listen - with the hood up, natch.
    how about the belt tensioner or whatever that thing is called
    Last edited by pphil09; 01-11-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    I go with the secondary air pump as NathanCarter said. If it is the pump itself or the hose, which was my problem, you will experience sounds from this area when it get colder outside due to the fact that the pump is energized for a longer period of time.

Either that or you a a flock of geese in your engine compartment; if that's the cause, bring out the double-barrel 12 ga.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by volksfragen View Post
    its your car trying to say "Park me in a heated garage".....

I really have no constructive input to your problem sorry, someone else im sure will be able to actually help you.

This is very good advice. Helps to keep the CCV from freezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    x3, 325i
    Mine makes this horn-like sound as well. Sometimes right when you start it, and sometimes after about a block. My garage is unheated but rarely gets below 30 degrees unless it gets in the teens for a few days. The sound mine makes is a long continuous sound that lasts for a few seconds. Sounds like a horn but lower in pitch than the horn. Does the secondary air pump make a sound like that?

My Cars
    330iS
    Does it sound like chewbacca?

My Cars
    x3, 325i
    That's a pretty good description.

My Cars
    330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by russ45 View Post
    That's a pretty good description.
    How about a video to go with it? You probably will not be able to stop laughing...I didn't believe this was possible until I heard it myself.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OQtvZ2fp0[/ame]

GlassCity325, does this sound like yours?

My Cars
    x3, 325i
    I think that's it, only mine goes on for a for seconds and is more of a steady tone. I think that's it, though. Is that the secondary air pump?

My Cars
    2005 330CI ZHP Vert.
    Did you eat Mexican before this noise started?

Evidently Chickentown...

My Cars
    x3, 325i
    No, but I was waiting for a car that stopped to let someone out when it started this sound today, and the guy got mad because he thought I was honking at him.

My Cars
    330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by russ45 View Post
    I think that's it, only mine goes on for a for seconds and is more of a steady tone. I think that's it, though. Is that the secondary air pump?
    It's the CCV. If you do replace this, I would go with the cold weather version. It's insulated and lasts longer.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540442

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...4&postcount=33
    Last edited by genuity; 01-28-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: cold weather version recommendation

My Cars
    2003 325i, 2014 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by genuity View Post
    It's the CCV. If you do replace this, I would go with the cold weather version. It's insulated and lasts longer.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540442

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...4&postcount=33

I agree. If you want to be extra sure, isolate the sound at the CCV with a mechanic's stethascope. That worked for me.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Sport
    I'm not hearing the short honk while the engine is running and I'm not hearing the Chewbacca howl when I turn off the engine. It's just when I start the car in the morning when it's cold outside. I also noticed that I hear it less when the weather gets closer to 32F. I've seen on other threads that hose cracks leading to/from the CCV can also throw lean codes like the ones I have (P0171, P0174). However it's still too cold to spend any length of time under the hood to deduce which hose has a leak in it (or even if it's my lower intake boot for that matter). My fuel trim levels suggest that if it's just a vacuum leak then it's relatively small, but enough to throw codes nevertheless.

My Cars
    Cars
    Did you ID the cause of the noise? My car just started doing this immediately following an oil change. Your description matches my symptoms perfectly. From the drivers seat it sounds like near starter, maybe ccv or could be in the oil pan? Planning on having the wife start it up tomorrow am while I'm under there to zero in.

My Cars
    2002 E46 320d
    did you guys find out what it was? mine doing the same, loud honk, fart, chewbacca sound when starting up. Gets louder as the weather is colder. Also what i noticed it does the sound even before I start the car. just with the electrics on.