Thread: '00 740iL heated steering wheel question

My Cars
    '00 E38 740iL

'00 740iL heated steering wheel question

I purchased a heated wheel off of eBay for my '00 740il. Miine did not come with a heated wheel. I read all the previous heated wheel postings on Bimmerboard in detail and studied carefully all heated wheel postings before I bought this one so I knew it would fit. (The previous heated wheel retro instructions on the Bimmerboard were for a pre-2000. My wheel is different than the pre-2000 in that it doesn't have a slip ring. I have a modular ring thingy that the control levers and wheel control modules plug into directly.)

The wheel I bought came with the right and left control modules and the airbag. The wheel fits perfectly and installs in seconds. Simply, disconnect the battery, take out two scres holding in the airbag, and then the one nut holding on the wheel. The new one, fit nicely and all the connectors plugs in perfectly, except for the lead to the heat control. There is a obvious molded location for it on the hub behind the wheel but no leads inside the molded unit.

I checked the RealOEM site and my BMW service manual CDs, and they do not show the hub or module that sits behind the steering wheel, at least they don't show it anywhere I can find it. The part number on mine is 61-31-8-376-445-9g

When I removed more of the steering wheel column to take the hub completely off, I find the same thing on the back of the module, a molded location for a connector that matches the shape of the wheel heater leads, but no contacts in that molded location.

The local dealer searched his fiche also (same as RealOEM) and found the same thing. He assumed that the same hub was used for cars with and without the heated wheel. Of course he told me this before I pulled the whole thing apart.

So my issue is, how do I get power to the heated element around or through this hub so my heated wheel actually heats? RealOEM does show a wire (61318380478) that 'appears' to be the heater lead but obviously it doesn't show what it is for.

Any ideas?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    IM going to tow this thread into the E38 sub-forum. Youll get some answers there.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    your slip ring has the extra 2 wire connector in there?

You need to run wires to the fuse box to get power.

Ohh and welcome here

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    '00 E38 740iL
    The slip ring has a 'location' for the connector, but there is no physical wire nor connector running from the front side through the slip ring to the back. I figured I could tap into a hefty power lead under the dash on the back side of the slip ring but how do I get through the slip ring. That is the more pressing point.

I found this a part titled "61318379091 - switch unit steering column additionally contains slip ring" but it appears to only be the back of the unit. This makes it look like the hub I am referring to comes apart. I am hesitant to do this, fear of the unknown thing. Also, it doesn't look like it comes apart as near as I could tell when I had it on the kitchen table.

(Thanks for the welcome. I have been using the site for two years to research and learn but until now, haven't had a need to post a question. You guys have done a great job of answering everything already! History Search, what a wonderful thing.)

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    yes you need that slip ring to get it to work.

Never hook on to just any wire, run it to the fusebox ( i believe fuse 35)

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    '00 E38 740iL
    So the new one should have the wiring in it. Got it. Are both of these wires just hot leads? No ground to worry about. They both appear to be red.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    that I will have to check in WDS for you.
    But yes the ring has the connector to plug your plug in.

Other side also has a connector

My Cars
    '00 E38 740iL
    That would be great. Where would one obtain a female connector for the back side? It'll make life easier than creating one. Thanks for all the help.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    hey dude i think you are talking about this part...search bav auto for it...thats where i got mine when i did the retro heres the part #

carbon pin
    32 31 1 091 732

i think thats what you are talking about

this is it making contact and gives the wheels power

Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    He dude that is a pre facelift wheel

My Cars
    '00 E38 740iL

Excellent help.

Edwin - Excellent. Thanks.

e30luv318i - Yeah, the wheel you show is pre-3/99. From 3/99 on they look different. It is more like a hub and no exposed rings. I did use that posting though to being my research. Now that the weather here in Milwaukee is hitting the 10-20 below mark, I decided it was time to speed up this project.

Parts are on order, should have hot hands in a few days.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Thought id continue the convo in a related thread. Pre facelift and facelift steering wheel are different but is there any further difference in 95 to 96-98 wheels? I found another car with heated steering in a 750 95/10 manufactured date and wonder if it would work with my 97/12 740

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by shenofjo View Post
    Thought id continue the convo in a related thread. Pre facelift and facelift steering wheel are different but is there any further difference in 95 to 96-98 wheels? I found another car with heated steering in a 750 95/10 manufactured date and wonder if it would work with my 97/12 740
    Yes, there are differences between the 1995-9/96 & 9/96-3/99 steering wheels. Prior to 9/1996 the MFL control module was located BELOW the steering column/dash. The MFL control module was later incorporated into the right button pod on the MFL steering wheels. So yes, additional modification would be required.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-29-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Thanks Q! Guess i wont be going to the pick n pull for that steering wheel anymore!