Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E65/66 Tech questions.

My Cars
    07 750i || 05 CLK55 Cab

handling/suspensionproblem?

When I am on a twisty road that is smooth the car drives beautifully as far as handling and all, especially ofr a large car. But if that same road were to have any minor irregularities/bumps and I am making the sweeping turn on that kind of surface the car really loses it's composure and seems to get thrown off track. Almost like if you were running and you made a cut and your ankle gave out for a quick second is another way I can describe the feeling. It's unsettling and I'm pretty sure not normal for the car or any car.

I will be taking it to dealer but would really appreciate any theories/advice this forum can offer as what might be the problem. I think shocks are OK so maybe some kind of suspension component?

car is 2007 CPO with 42K miles and original warranty runs out in 2 months with CPO covg for 2 years after that. No active suspension or run flats

I also feel car is a bit harsh/loud in rear when running over expansion joints that are going from high to low level. Not sure if this is related or not.

My prior 11 years have been with driving MB and Honda.

Please let me kow what you think? I have appt on 26th with dealer but would like more info before I go. Last thing I want is for them to blow it off and say nothing's wrong.

Thanks - PJ
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 11-08-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: html

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    hey kyle ,

i own a 2006 750i with only 65,000Kms , an while driving the car shuts off an messages that all gears cannot engage?? so i took it to a mechanic an he said it was n battery issue bcuz the car shifts gears electronically .which makes sense so he replaced the alternator an now seemed to work for a few days an now the same problem occured. Any help would be appreciated before i send it back to him.my beautiful bmw has become a nightmare!

Thank you.

My Cars
    2003 745li
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerlova View Post
    I have the same concern as Scott. Got my eye on a 2003 745Li with 43k miles. Want to know what some of the common problems Are with these vehicles. I was reading the free car fax on this particular car and saw the starter was replaced at 25k. WTF? 25k? The car was basically brand new!!! I am particulary interested in the tranny in these things. What's goes wrong and what's the average price to replace it.
    Tranny could be very expensive. They say lifetime fluid. I disagree. Fluid from dealer is $66 qt. Even at $66/qt it is preventative maint. Tranny could cost you$10k.
    I would not worry if sold by authorized BMW dealer. 2003 is a known problem. Will the sell let you drive it for a few days? Are there any errors on the speedo? How old is the battery? Has it been "Recalibrated"? If those questions bother you, leave it alone.
    Last edited by fxstsb; 11-08-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 745li
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile745LI View Post
    Thanks, IcemanBHE & hello, Kyle.

Kyle,

From what you've seen, what are some of the common fixes for error msg "Dynamic Drive Inactive"?
    Dynamic Drive fluid reservoir is the Power Steering, correct?

My Cars
    '06 750i

2006 wheel specs

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    I have asked for help from a friend to help in technical questions of this sub-forum. He is a tech at a BMW dealership, and see's more of these cars than most of us other members do.

You will see some posts by him. His name is Kyle.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=10444

I thank him for his help and knowledge.
    I purchased my car with 19" wheels and also a set of stock 18" wheels with snow tires. I am trying to determine what the specs, (offsets etc.) are on the 18" wheels are.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2003 745li
    7 series is obvious a mystery vehicle.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 745i
    hello Kyle, im new to bmw forum,im installed aftermarket hids on a 02' 745i,i used the wires going to the foglights, is there a way to access the connector to the oem ballest without pulling the front bumper?id like to use the lowbeam switch to turn them on...

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750li
    I hope this is not a repeat question that I have just missed in my search, but my 750li has a really rough idle. It has 67000 miles on in now but the with the extended warranty, the dealer keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, that no error codes come up. It doesnt run rough all the time and not just when cold either. I live in phx Az so the cold really isn't an issue, it's 84 today. I run premium in it ever since Ive owned it(since 12000) but we do have highly oxygenated fuel here, I think close to 15% I'm thinking that this is probably what it is but would like to know if anyone else is running into this?

My Cars
    2003 745li

Nav firmware is?

Never quite figured it out. I have read that by selecting setting on my display the Nav firmware rev will show in the upper right of the display. Well mine shows nothing. How do I determine my NaveFirmare Revision? 03 745Li

My Cars
    BMW '02 730D E65
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Hi,

First off, thank you so much for your help in this community. I certainly appreciate it and so do the other members of the this community.

I have two questions for you if you don't mind:

1. My passenger side front speaker cuts out quite frequently when the stereo is on, doesn't matter if it is the radio or the cd player. When it does go out, all of the speakers make a buzzing noise and if I turn the stereo off, the buzzing is still there. It does this randomly - when the passenger side front speaker is working there is no buzzing, even with the stereo off. When the passenger's side speaker does cut out, the buzzing is there no matter what. This only happens when the vehicle is on - there is no buzzing or speaker cutting out when the vehicle is off.

2. When I turn the accessories of the car on, but the engine is off, within a couple of minutes, I get a warning telling me to recharge the battery. Is this a alternator problem, or should I replace the battery? I don't get any error warnings when the vehicle is on. If I do replace the battery, is there a need for the dealer to code the new battery to my vehicle, or is that unnecessary?

I would really appreciate any help from any member on this forum.

Thank you kindly in advance,
    EuroDriver
    a Bad Alternator can cause all sort of issues like this [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgjYnTuZjo[/ame] and if you change the battery it must be registered good luck

My Cars
    03 745li
    Kyle,
    I am new here and quickly see you are the man to seek out. I have two 745's and they are going to hell. I am buying parts but not seeing where to get the procedures to replace parts or buy certain parts. my questions are

1. is there a DIY that you know of to replace the altenator on a 02 745I
    2. I need to buy a mechatronics unit so i can replace my current one. Do you know where i can buy this part aside form the dealer. its for the same 02 745i

Faults where verified buy a BMW mechanic.

Thanks ahead of time

My Cars
    1998 528i, 1980 320i
    hey kyle, do you have any advice on installing valve cover gaskets on n62 4.4 745i motors? its very hard to get the spark plug tubes fully seated. i was told i may have to align the vanos actuator in the proper position, is that true? any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My Cars
    06 330I, 11 GTI, 04 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by mishi5 View Post
    hey kyle, do you have any advice on installing valve cover gaskets on n62 4.4 745i motors? its very hard to get the spark plug tubes fully seated. i was told i may have to align the vanos actuator in the proper position, is that true? any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    advice wise there really isnt a whole ton of advice to give other than the fact that its nuts and bolts...the spark plug tubes are hard to get seated-be very careful with the eccentric shaft sensor in the back of the valve cover its very easy to break it when prying the valve cover loose. As for the valvetronic-sometimes you will need to-others you wont-i personally always perform the calibration when they are removed.

My Cars
    E430 S

question for a Tech Help..

I have a 03 745i with 104k on it..never any problems with it until my machanic told me that I have a trany leak coming from the round plug on the Franny...now I noticed that my car shifts rough.also when I'm in D on a slight uphill and I hit the gas hard....I canfeel the car act as if I was driving on a grid...metal grid...or maybe bridge grid...what is causing that?.....possible low granny fluid?

My Cars
    2002 745i & 2005 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by DANNYOV View Post
    Kyle,
    I am new here and quickly see you are the man to seek out. I have two 745's and they are going to hell. I am buying parts but not seeing where to get the procedures to replace parts or buy certain parts. my questions are

1. is there a DIY that you know of to replace the altenator on a 02 745I
    2. I need to buy a mechatronics unit so i can replace my current one. Do you know where i can buy this part aside form the dealer. its for the same 02 745i

Faults where verified buy a BMW mechanic.

Thanks ahead of time

Danny have you tried CarQuest? They sell tons of BMW OEM parts for great prices!

My Cars
    E65(745i)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a newb on this forum. Still trying to figure out where to post this question. Any direction would be great.
    I need an extra key fob for my 2002 745i, I only have 1 left.
    My question is, if I get one from antother car such as from a salvage yard or used online, canit be reprogrammed for my car??
    Also, does it need to be from a 7 series only?? Or will one from a different year or model work??

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

My Cars
    M5, 750Li, 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by rixvette View Post
    I purchased my car with 19" wheels and also a set of stock 18" wheels with snow tires. I am trying to determine what the specs, (offsets etc.) are on the 18" wheels are.

Any help would be appreciated.
    OEM specs listed here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...79&hg=36&fg=15

My Cars
    2005 BMW 760I

2005 760I Question

I'm new here and trying to figure out what the valve inside the sir box is under the air filter, Can anyone help??

My Cars
    04' 745i Sport, Hummer H2
    Nice technique for finding battery drains, very helpful!

My Cars
    760i

purchase help

I am newly introduced to BMW and have been reading about how the 7 series is unreliable.
    I am a DIY backyard mechanic
    worked on saab and subaru but now want to go luxury
    was looking at purchasing a 2006-2008 E65 or E66 which i think is the alpina
    can someone shoot me the straight scoop on these
    are there any years in the series I referenced that are particularly troublesome? more reliable?
    can these be worked on with patience and a manual?
    any thoughts on the alpina?
    more reliable than the E65?
    easier to work on?
    i appreciate the advice i dont want a lexus or a cts
    but i dont want to spend my life angry because my car is in the shop either
    thanks in andvance for any help and advice
    all the best

My Cars
    2003 BMW 760li
    Morning to all i have a E66 760LI AND HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM 65_1168 it does not load the CD
    Last edited by Mark 760li; 08-28-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: have to add more info

My Cars
    2003 BMW 760li
    All of a sudden the navigation will go off en then after a few minutes it will go on again.
    After looking in the boot and opening the boot console we discovered that the CD disk will eject itself and the push against the console and inserting itself and this will go on for a while in until the CD have jammed in the system.

The navigation system unit is working as it is transmitting a signal to the front of dashboard.

I was told that i need to replace the navigation computer drive 66_1650via the agents.

Have some done this repairs before, and could they forward how its done.

My vehicle is out of its motor plane

will appreciate all info

regards
    Mark

My Cars
    2003 BMW 760li
    All of a sudden the navigation will go off en then after a few minutes it will go on again.
    After looking in the boot and opening the boot console we discovered that the CD disk will eject itself and the push against the console and inserting itself and this will go on for a while in until the CD have jammed in the system.

The navigation system unit is working as it is transmitting a signal to the front of dashboard.

I was told that i need to replace the navigation computer drive 66_1650via the agents.

Have some done this repairs before, and could they forward how its done.

My vehicle is out of its motor plane

will appreciate all info

regards
    Mark

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745li
    Can anyone help me with the P2177 Code? I have a 2002 745LI that I bought, and it had the engine light on. I looked online, and all refers to the MAF. So I changed that, with a NEW Bosch, not refurb. Cleared the code, drove about 80miles and its back on! ugh!

What else could it be? any ideas? car runs good, just has this light on.

Thanks!
    Justin

My Cars
    '06 750i
    Kyle,

My nav screen (and all items associated, ie; radio, etc)has been taking between 2-10 minutes to come on. The entire idrive system is dead until it comes on. It all works normally once it does come on. Dealer says ASK unit is bad (going bad?) and they want $1000 to replace ASK unit (CPO warranty does not cover) Is there a cheaper solution? I am considering just living with it, accepting they delay and then replacing when it goes out and the nav screen just never comes on. Any help would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast