Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CCV Replacement FYI - M54

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Hi!
    Did the dealer install the cold-weather CCV, or the typical CCV?
    Does it matter whether Schitzo's dealer installed a Cold Weather CCV or not?

Do you see where that questionmark is headed?

It's leading to an exclamation point.

It doesn't matter whether Schitzo's dealer installed a Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter CCV!
    Does any fool believe a German Rubber Trojan Condom wrapped around the CCV is the solution?
    Does anyone believe that cheesy foam placed around 'some' of the CCV hoses increases their 'R' factor?
    Which leads us to the oasis on the Island of Russian Upgraded Dipstick Tubes.
    Which is where we are.
    Winter CCV versus non-winter CCV don't matter.
    I've gone through 3 CCV's, two of them were the Winter Version.
    I was one of the very first to install it.
    Style of driving does not matter in the debate...80% of my driving is highway.
    Type of oil is a silly notion...synthetic versus dino...when both of my CCV's failed I was using synthetic exclusively year round.

So whether Schitzo has or has not the Cold Weather Version, he'd be wasting his time peeking under his intake and we'd be wasting time asking the question or waiting for the answer. BMW tells us the New Model Dipstick Tube is the solution. That's what they say. Which is where we are today.

Schitzo, do you know if you have the New Russian Model Dipstick Tube? Perhaps the dealer did install it.

This thread is evolving into...I (insert name) have installed the New Russian Model Dipstick Tube and I can state it's impacted my CCV system (insert "for the better" or "not at all"). Now---if it turns out the answer is "for the better"...then we know Schitzo and Friends ought to be installing said Russian Dipstick Tube. We ain't there yet.

Discussion of Cold Weather CCV is so 2008. PS: Based on these pics Schitzo has the Mega R Factor Upgraded Hose, an indicator of what the dealer installed (not that it matters):

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1707899

This thread could possibly evolve into...I (insert name) installed a Cold Weather CCV and a New Russian Model Dipstick Tube and it failed so now I am building my Custom Russian Oil Catch Can.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Crank case ventilation setup on these cars is a joke. When you are tired of replacing CCVs, consider an oil catch can.
    The new dipstick is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. It just doesn't work.
    Robert, I'm surprised at you. Catch cans do not meet modern emissions standards.

Clean air is important too, lad!

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham E39 528i View Post
    Robert, I'm surprised at you. Catch cans do not meet modern emissions standards.

Clean air is important too, lad!

Graham where have you been?
    Technically any part of the PCV, EVAP or exhaust system that is different from OEM does not meet modern emission standards. However, that does mean such a part would increase the car's emissions.

A properly designed catch can separates the oil from the crankcase gases. The gases are then directed into the intake for combustion.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    BMW
    Graham where have you been?
    I have been lurking.

Technically any part of the PCV, EVAP or exhaust system that is different from OEM does not meet modern emission standards. However, that does mean such a part would increase the car's emissions.
    OK

A properly designed catch can separates the oil from the crankcase gases. The gases are then directed into the intake for combustion.
    I thought that was called a CCV.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Some say po-TAY-to others po-TAR-to

It's not so much what it's called that matters, rather it's how it works or in this case doesn't work.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2003 525i

"Jesus turned water into wine. I turned it into liquor" ~Popcorn Sutton

You been watching Moonshine?

Block Diagram for the E39 Summer Weather CCV: http://www.happymountain.net/Resourc...ot%20Still.gif

Left to right....Jason, Shitzo and Graham summer 2011

Jason: We can lick this dang CCV thing. I'll talk about it for 19 months or four years but one day, my growing son will replace it for me. That's how rednecks do it...they get their son to do it.

Graham: Sirs, this beverage is less smooth than my memories of Scot single malts back in my homeland of England, but damnit, with some cooked rabbit, it does taste good. God save the Queen and to hell with emissions.

Schitzo: The CCV is comin' after my e39 and I can't stop the CCV. The man is always comin' and I can't stop him neither. Emissions? That's what's in my catch-can and boys it's sippin' time.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Does it matter whether Schitzo's dealer installed a Cold Weather CCV or not?
    I thought you were not going to post...? lol...

My point in asking is because several people have recently posted that they have recently installed the cold-weather CCV, and now are using oil.
    They also reported not using any oil when the old/standard/ typical CCV was installed.
    I wanted to see if the trend is continuing, and there is a more possible problem with the cold weather CCV.

I didn't know I had to clear it with you to ask questions now...

I have been lurking.
    Why...?

It's not so much what it's called that matters, rather it's how it works or in this case doesn't work.
    +1.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-27-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    The Winter CCV is identical to the regular version, with the exception of an additional cheesy rubber cover.

If someone claims they are now burning oil post-install of a Winter Version, they either forgot to place the rubber-plug on the 1 nipple located on the CCV or they have a separate issue. There is 0% chance a Winter CCV could cause oil-burn (unless it was simply defective/broken to begin with) verus a Non-Winter CCV.

See photo above.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    The Winter CCV is identical to the regular version, with the exception of an additional cheesy rubber cover.

If someone claims they are now burning oil post-install of a Winter Version, they either forgot to place the rubber-plug on the 1 nipple located on the CCV or they have a separate issue. There is 0% chance a Winter CCV could cause oil-burn (unless it was simply defective/broken to begin with) verus a Non-Winter CCV.

See photo above.
    Yes, however, my thought is that the older/ original CCV is (I can believe I am posting this...) .... made better than the new cold-weather CCV IMO.

Reference this thread:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13417197
    Post #1 by Schnell.

In his pictures he shows the design/ manufacturing defects between both versions - specifically the fitting of the hoses...

Mark/E39dream also ran into this problem when he installed the new cold-weather CCV....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
    Verified PITA job, the next time I do an M54 CCV my price is going up.

Just a couple things I wanted to add, did a cold weather CCV on a 2001 525iT today.
    The S shaped hose (number 3 in the realoem diagram Jason has posted above) that came with the cold weather CCV was over 1 inch shorter than the factory part once the insulation was removed from the hose and the two compared side by side.

After fighting to secure that hose for what seemed like an eternity I removed the insulation and compared it to the old hose. It was over an inch shorter, which is why it was being such a pain. I blew the old hose out with some MAF cleaner and compressed air and reused it-from there it went together like butter. The S shaped hose is too short in the cold weather CCV kit, BMW probably saves a nickle on plastic and laughs at the techs who have to fight with the thing.

Beyond that everything went smoothly, I didn't cut any hoses or anything, it all came right apart.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i

Yes, it's a Complete Crap Valve.

Catch can setups are the way to go. They can be pretty much sealed off as the OEM one but with much better quality parts.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post

Catch can setups are the way to go. They can be pretty much sealed off as the OEM one but with much better quality parts.
    Any recommendations for parts...?

Did you see this thread?
    Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I want Schitzo to brew up some moonshine, see photo above.

If this upgraded dipstick doesn't do the trick, I am firmly stated I will not be re-installing another CCV. I would indeed install an MCC. A Moonshine Catch Can.

Jason, you forget...I replaced my CCV at 75K miles for no reason. I remember the first time I saw the I6 engine when I bought the car (it had 46K miles then) I was planning my first tune-up. Plugs, check. Coils possibly, check. Air Filter, check. Fuel Filter, check. Clean MAF and Throttle Body, check. PCV Valve? PCV Valve? Where are you? Hmm. Saw the hose on the front of the valve cover and knew that must be it's origin. Took the engine's beauty-covers off and hoped to find a PCV. Nope. Realized it was somewhere under the intake and laughed. I wrote a thread way back when I did the CCV and explained in the words of my Dad, "A tune-up is not complete without a new PCV Valve."

Many on the Forum mocked me for replacing my CCV Valve at 75K miles.

I just reached 150K miles and I will not replace another CCV. I've done two and I believe Gumbi's shop did one. Gumbi's father in law was faster than I was. I would ask Ken to do the Catch Can. We'll know over the next few weeks/months how my vacuum is doing.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver

Any recommendations for parts...?

Did you see this thread?
    Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Jason
    You'll see the one I'm doing for the turbo system in the coming weeks.

I'd love to make a permanent solution for you guys eventually.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Yes, however, my thought is that the older/ original CCV is (I can believe I am posting this...) .... made better than the new cold-weather CCV IMO.

Reference this thread:
    Post #1 by Schnell.

In his pictures he shows the design/ manufacturing defects between both versions - specifically the fitting of the hoses...

Mark/E39dream also ran into this problem when he installed the new cold-weather CCV....
    A couple of months ago, I installed a new CCV and hoses that I bought at the dealer. None of the hoses were insulated - we don't get much cold weather down South.

I did not notice any of the defects identified in the link you posted. Everything fit well. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe I got old stock hoses. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else who installed the warm weather version had the defects listed in that thread.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I want Schitzo to brew up some moonshine, see photo above.

I did the CCV and explained in the words of my Dad, "A tune-up is not complete without a new PCV Valve."

Many on the Forum mocked me for replacing my CCV Valve at 75K miles.

I just reached 150K miles and I will not replace another CCV. I've done two and I believe Gumbi's shop did one. Gumbi's father in law was faster than I was. I would ask Ken to do the Catch Can. We'll know over the next few weeks/months how my vacuum is doing.
    I suppose I could use some moonshine...

Yep, I remember...
    I too grew up doing old-school maintenance on a '74 Ford F150...

Awesome!
    I can't wait!
    Let me know/ call anytime!
    Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 525i

I have all 5 seasons of Miami Vice on dvd. The first two seasons are epic. Get on that I6 Oil Catch Can and I'll trade you. I want to Paypal someone and receive a Catch Can Kit. This dipstick tube issue I am having has only advanced my goal to eliminate the CCV; for the $150.00 of the tube I could have all the parts, chromed no less, to build a catch can.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post

You should buy the first delivery , made in Germany
    Now its too late , no one wanted it in 150$ so production moved to China
    Maybe Igor is onto something. I have the "new" dipstick in my car since early 2008 - the CCV froze when I drove in -50°C (that's -58° F). The VCG blew and left me stranded in another city. Got raped by the dealership (had no choice), and yes I can confirm the dipstick was getting snagged - right after the "winterized" conversion.
    But: if you look at realoem, the p/n have already changed for the winterized CCV assembly. And so did the dipstick guide tube - it went back to the design with a tube within a tube and no hole (p/n 11437531258).
    And because the dipstick was getting snagged and quite tough to pull out, the bottom plastic part did crack where it was thinning, and now spins on the dipstick, but it does not fall off.
    And yes, since the winterized conversion which happened end of January / start February 2008, I have about 1qt of oil consumption at the halfmark between oil changes (so about 2000 - 2500 miles). I didn't have a drop of oil to add before.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Nice Doru
    So i am not alone who replaced ALL CCV staff and forget about it

Three common CCV problems

1) Cracks in the air hoses leading to and from the CCV.
    Symptoms: lean condition, P0171 and P0174.

2) Failure to separate oil from vapor
    Symptoms: More-than-expected oil consumption - oily crankcase gases are being returned to the intake instead of separated properly.

3) Clogged with oil-ice or sludge or Clogged dipstick
    Symptoms: 'splosions in the engine bay
    Cause: Short trips in cold weather, allowing moisture (inherent to gasoline combustion) to get in the oil and never burn off.
    Moisture mixes with oil and makes yellow snot. Yellow snot sticks in CCV, car is left outside in freezing temperature,
    snot turns to ice-snot, then the crankcase vapors that the CCV is supposed to separate instead just build pressure inside the crankcase... until UPS

My case was #3 so i just replaced ALL CCV staff with the best what we have and forget
    So what i try to say :
    Replace your CCV staff every 2-3 years , take car for a long trips every 1-2 weeks if you do short city daily commutes and sleep well
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-28-2011 at 02:14 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Maybe Igor is onto something.
    I have the "new" dipstick in my car since early 2008 - the CCV froze when I drove in -50°C (that's -58° F).
    The VCG blew and left me stranded in another city.
    Got raped by the dealership (had no choice), and yes I can confirm the dipstick was getting snagged - right after the "winterized" conversion.

But: if you look at www.Realoem.com , the p/n has already changed for the winterized CCV assembly.
    And so did the dipstick guide tube - it went back to the design with a tube within a tube and no hole (p/n 11437531258).

And because the dipstick was getting snagged and quite tough to pull out, the bottom plastic part did crack where it was thinning, and now spins on the dipstick, but it does not fall off.

And yes, since the winterized conversion which happened end of January / start February 2008,
    I have about 1qt of oil consumption at the halfmark between oil changes (so about 2000 - 2500 miles). I didn't have a drop of oil to add before.

Hey D!
    Glad to see you posting in this thread!

That is some interesting stuff!
    I really think Igor might be right, that these new version parts are being made poorly, and probably made in China...

Just look at the hose comparisons in the link I gave a few posts back...
    Post #1 by Schnell.
    The original CCV system fits better, and I had no oil consumption, at least after 4-5 years of being on the original CCV system...

And, I just verified on Real OEM...
    Sure enough...!
    The part number changed...!
    The part number for the oil dipstick is NOW only... 114 37 531 258
    There is no more cold-weather oil dipstick tube referenced... 114 37 565 437

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=11&fg=10
    #9 from the diagram...
    http://ebmwparts.com/partlocator/ind...16397&items=10
    Part Number: 11437531258 List Price Core Price Your Price Engine - Engine parts - Guide tube Guide tube - 2.5 & 2.8 liter 1999-03 1999 - 2003
    $63.16
    There is no more 114 37 565 437 - cold weather dipstick tube referenced...
    My original dipstick tube part number is 114 31 433 496
    , which has been modified.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-28-2011 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    I just hope Jack can come up with a solid/final solution, that will work (in colder climate too - he's in Fla I believe), and that he will post with details and pics.

My Cars
    BMW

Maybe the CCV is designed for people who drive NORMALLY. It is not designed for people who waste gas driving TOO fast.

Graham: Sirs, this beverage is less smooth than my memories of Scot single malts back in my homeland of England, but damnit, with some cooked rabbit, it does taste good. God save the Queen and to hell with emissions.

Your jest is closer to the possible truth than you think. My GF doesn't let me drink anymore.

Why...?
    I get lots of fun from you guys. I'll try to post when I can.

See my response to Schitzo above.

Three common CCV problems

1) Cracks in the air hoses leading to and from the CCV.
    Symptoms: lean condition, P0171 and P0174.

Plastic embrittles over time in a hot engine bay. Look on McMaster for tubing rated for higher temperatures.

2) Failure to separate oil from vapor
    Symptoms: More-than-expected oil consumption - oily crankcase gases are being returned to the intake instead of separated properly.
    Maybe your pistons rings/bores are worn.

3) Clogged with oil-ice or sludge or Clogged dipstick
    Symptoms: 'splosions in the engine bay
    Cause: Short trips in cold weather, allowing moisture (inherent to gasoline combustion) to get in the oil and never burn off.
    Moisture mixes with oil and makes yellow snot. Yellow snot sticks in CCV, car is left outside in freezing temperature,
    snot turns to ice-snot, then the crankcase vapors that the CCV is supposed to separate instead just build pressure inside the crankcase... until UPS

My case was #3 so i just replaced ALL CCV staff with the best what we have and forget
    So what i try to say :
    Replace your CCV staff every 2-3 years , take car for a long trips every 1-2 weeks if you do short city daily commutes and sleep well
    Snot is a bad four letter word, laddie. You wanna get revoked?

I just hope Jack can come up with a solid/final solution, that will work (in colder climate too - he's in Fla I believe), and that he will post with details and pics.
    I will be interested in this (at an academic level).
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 12-28-2011 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    330Ci conv. (x2)
    Holy Crap Jason,

Two years and your thread's still going? I feel somewhat both honored and embarassed you posted a link to my QC adventures with OEM BMW parts. Perhaps I'll post the pictures that show the two dealership BMW air filters I bought were 1/4" too long to fit in the airbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    I did not notice any of the defects identified in the link you posted. Everything fit well. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe I got old stock hoses. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else who installed the warm weather version had the defects listed in that thread.
    Lucky me.

Actually, I was lucky in that Mike at TheBMWpartStore.com was kind enough to sort through ten or more hose/tubes and ship me one that fit for free.

..I have the "new" dipstick in my car since early 2008 - the CCV froze when I drove in -50°C (that's -58° F).
    -58° F? Dude, you need a snow cat for that kind of weather. I'm surprised the entire engine didn't shrink. Seriously. Plastics have trouble in that temp. let alone the rubber diaphragm in the PCV section of the CCV.

..But: if you look at realoem, the p/n have already changed for the winterized CCV assembly. And so did the dipstick guide tube - it went back to the design with a tube within a tube and no hole (p/n 11437531258).
    So the dipstick guide tube re-design is now re-re-designed. You know, I went to see MI at IMAX last night, and now I’m sort of glad they destroyed all those BMW’s. I might even see it again to vent my anger and hatred. To cheer at the BMW carnage.

My order was placed June 16th 2011, and the Guide tube part number was 11437565437. Thanks for the heads up on this. BMW did a “Russian” here. That part no longer even shows up on RealOEM. Not even as discontinued. It’s just “part not found.” And as you noted, the new part number is 11437531258 and is $41 instead of the $130 I paid.

I also see that part #17's picture was changed. It had been a two sided clamp for the fuel hose with only one side used, but it now shows the single pop-clamp I was shipped (the one that’s too large). So back when I complained in the summer they decided to change the picture instead of providing the original part. Huh. Maybe BMW ran out.

Who the hell owns RealOEM anyway?

..since the winterized conversion which happened end of January / start February 2008, I have about 1qt of oil consumption at the halfmark between oil changes (so about 2000 - 2500 miles). I didn't have a drop of oil to add before.
    Doru, don’t take this the wrong way, but what kind of oil do you use? Seriously. Can you post the brand please?

Moisture mixes with oil and makes yellow snot. Yellow snot sticks in CCV, car is left outside in freezing temperature, snot turns to ice-snot,
    Hey Champaign. Again, don't take this the wrong way, but can you list the brand and type of oil you use? I'm collecting data on this and am starting to see a trend.

Thanks,
    Mach.Schnell

Update. The bad hose/tube came from the CCV cold weather kit 11617534237 that's cheaper than the CCV and the two hoses when purchased separately.
    Last edited by Machschne11; 12-28-2011 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Jason,

Don't know what you are saying here. You're going to screw things up and confuse a lot of people.

1). On realoem, there is an OLD Dipstick Tube part number listed as ENDED and that is # 11431433496. This dipstick tube was the old-style and offers us nothing. It's a dead part number.

2). The current/valid Dipstick Tube part number is # 11437531258 and this is a $40.00 dipstick tube which is NOT the upgraded "Winter Version." Again, "-258" is not the new Disptick Tube. Not. Not. Not. You now have mach schnell believing that it is.

3). Now...NOT listed on realoem is the part number for the New Winter Version Dispstick Tube. The part # for this # 11437565437. This Dipstick Tube is $130.00 and UP, depending on where you purchase. Ths Dipstick Tube was never viewable on realoem and remains unfound, unviewable and invalid on realoem. If you Google # 11437565437 the first hit is 'Cold Weather Version' for $160.00:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx

It can be purchased for ~$130.00 if you shop around.

Jason, what are stating, specifically and what is your goal?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=11&fg=10

I've read your post and to me, your post does not make sense and is only confusing. In your 1 post you've completely brought the level of confusion upwards by 100% by bringing the ball game back to First Base. Jason, unless you can make some sense, quickly, delete post # 194. We've have nearly 200 posts in this thread and post # 194 to me, makes zero sense and brings the entire thread so far backwards, it's now at post # 1.

Like they say on ESPN Football, "Come-on-man."
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-28-2011 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Machschne11 View Post
    Who the hell owns RealOEM anyway?

Doru, don’t take this the wrong way, but what kind of oil do you use? Seriously. Can you post the brand please?
    I wish we knew who is updating/running realoem.

I use GC 0x30
    When my CCV blew at that low temperature I was running Mobil1 0x40

My Cars
    330Ci conv. (x2)
    I use GC 0x30
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. But I don't know what "GC" is, and Google shows nothing. Might this be a brand of Castrol? (Sorry)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast