Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CCV Replacement FYI - M54

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Igor,

I didn't write my posts cause it's "tight". Dude the current dipstick tube is "unworkable"; it's not merely tight it is snagged, caught and STUCK.

I ain't writing these posts about this cause it's "tight". This is like having 5psi in a tire and someone telling you, "It's just a little low." This is like removing the rubber from a wiper blade and someone telling you, "It's just a little squeaky when you turn on the wipers." This is like going to South Dokata from NY or Chicago and someone trying to sell you, "Pizza."

As I wrote:

1). old dipstick tube + nearly-new dipstick = typical BMW "tight"
    2). new dipstick tube + the same nearly-new dipstick = totally f*cked up

See # 2 and believe me the first time. I keep writing, you need to hear me bro...this is NOT "tight"...it's HOOKED and SNAGGED on the bottom of the dipstick. If I keep removing the dipstick there is a 100% chance withint another 100 pulls that half of the plastic tip will be broken off in my oil pan and then no, I can't be chill.

Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    Relax Keith, its a Christmas Time

The dipstick is VERY tight inside a NEW dipstick tube and need to be TWISTED when taking IN/OUT

I bought even new dipstick together with new dipstick tube for one car ( around 10$ ) and it is the same story here
    Also there is NO difference between new / old dipstick but ONLY between new / old dipstick tube
    I asked my friend from BMW department , no "Wow" response as they changed many of them , he said its normal due to a different design
    Telling you 2 cars, 2 new dipstick tubes even one with new dipstick, both are difficult to take out but after 1-2 month it will come out much easy ,

Enjoy the video !

http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P1018345.mp4

Cheers, I
    Igor,

Merry Kristmas my BMW Comrade.

You da' man with the HDTV Dipstick video. Impressive you make this video. Still, I believe my dipstick is a problem. I am strong, like Russian bear and my dipstick issue isn't like in your video. I am like Russian bear and I have to use all the strength in my paw to get the dipstick out, even with the BMW-twist. It is caught badly in bottom of tube.

I like your DISA Valve photos, they are sexy. I could also see your BMW Axle Tool, tres sexy.

For Kristmas, I might buy H&R springs or maybe a front strut brace. I see in your video you have strut brace, who makes it and do you like it?

Lastly, my car runs very smooth. I still have the issue at 40mph with low RPM, I believe the truth will be a new transmission soon. We will see. Right now it is not as clear as Vodka.

Installing the new dipstick tube is a breeze, but you do have to remove the entire intake rubber boot, from MAF to Throttle Body. While I was there I cleaned out the ICV and Throttle Body. Car idles 10% smoother, I feel it.

Merry Kristmastime to all my Russian friends and to Igor, Mrs. Igor and any baby Ruskies. Enjoy!

-KW
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-23-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

I am glad you done with it

Unfortunately this strut brace was the last i bought from this guy

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553447

I believe the only similar design is a HAMANN which is 2-3 times more expensive
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-23-2011 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i/ Manual
    Okay, so whats the verdict on the new dipstick tube.

Yay or nay?

I changed my CCV with all the hoses (winterized) back in March and I don't want it to fail anytime soon. Also cleaned the passages inside the dipstick.

Just to make sure: I do not need a new dipstick, right?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post

Yay or nay?

I changed my CCV with all the hoses (winterized) back in March and I don't want it to fail anytime soon. Also cleaned the passages inside the dipstick.

Only champaign777 can attest to the New Dipstick Tube's results.
    I've had it in my car for 24 hours.
    BMW Engineers created a new part for an old(er) car, this is a very big deal for them to have done so, it speaks to yes, we should be installing them.
    The need for a new dipstick is unknown. We have champaign777's belief that a new dipstick "works fine", but what exactly was that dipstick he spoke of? Is the one he has identical to the one I have? BMW Dealer ordered me "the latest" dipstick, as I wrote above they "feel" the one which will arrive on Wednesday "might look and appear different than the one you currently have."

I don't believe that anyone can ask any questions at this point. As Gumbi would say, "Status quo."

Drink egg nog, beer and wine. Igor will have vodka. We celebrate Kristmas. CCV related issues are for now, "status quo". The only element you can take from my post here is to yes, strongly consider a new dipstick tube...you especially since you are in freezingly cold Ontario...that you'll have to remove your air intake to do-so...it might be a good time to replace the rubber boots of the intake. And to drink, eat and enjoy Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-24-2011 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post

Yay or nay?

IMO, I would say, "Yes."
    You need to remedy the inherent problem with the CCV.
    IMO, the faulty original dipstick tube design is the originator/ cause of the CCV failing.
    It all starts from the clogged dipstick...

You can either spend a good chunk of money on the new version dipstick or, try my method/ DIY to modifying your existing original dipstick design for less.
    It is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Only champaign777 can attest to the New Dipstick Tube's results.
    I've had it in my car for 24 hours.
    BMW Engineers created a new part for an old(er) car, this is a very big deal for them to have done so, it speaks to yes, we should be installing them.
    The need for a new dipstick is unknown. We have champaign777's belief that a new dipstick "works fine", but what exactly was that dipstick he spoke of? Is the one he has identical to the one I have? BMW Dealer ordered me "the latest" dipstick, as I wrote above they "feel" the one which will arrive on Wednesday "might look and appear different than the one you currently have."

I don't believe that anyone can ask any questions at this point. As Gumbi would say, "Status quo."

Drink egg nog, beer and wine. Igor will have vodka. We celebrate Kristmas. CCV related issues are for now, "status quo". The only element you can take from my post here is to yes, strongly consider a new dipstick tube...you especially since you are in freezingly cold Ontario...that you'll have to remove your air intake to do-so...it might be a good time to replace the rubber boots of the intake. And to drink, eat and enjoy Merry Christmas.
    Wow!
    That's some weird stuff going on...
    I had no idea that BMW has a new dipstick too...
    Or, even (2) new dipstick tube versions...?
    Have you tried comparing the newer and old tube versions to see what the hiccup is, besides the dipstick tip getting snagged...?
    Pictures?

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    530i (2001)
    Hi,

I just bought the new dipstick tube for my 2001 530i, and also found that the dipstick gets stuck in the bottom part of the new tube. I could pull the dipstick only about 5 cm and then it will not move anymore. I did not want to force it out because otherwise the plastic parts of the dipstick would detach from the stick and end up in the oil pan! This is crazy! I had to remove the tube and put the old one back in, works flawlessly! Now I need to buy a new dipstick anyway because the plastic parts almost broke off when I tested the new tube. There are several cracks in the dipstick end between the plastic parts.

I will take the new tube back to the dealer and ask my money back or have them modify the tube. The problem with the new tube is, or at least the tube that I have here, is that it has not been properly machined inside near the lower joint. The middle of the plastic piece of the dipstick gets stuck in the sharp edge of the upper tube that has been welded to the lower tube with larger diameter. If the end of the tube was machined to be smooth, we would not have this problem.

Has anybody found a solution to this? Did bmw provide you with a new tube that has been machined properly?

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Have you see my video above ?
    The key is TWIST + OIL
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    530i (2001)
    The key is TWIST + OIL
    Yes I saw the video but there is no problem. Maybe the tube was better machined? I tried oil and twisting but still stuck. The problem can be seen when looking in to the tube from the bottom end. My tube is simply not machined properly or requires a dipstick without gaps between the plastic pieces.
    Last edited by F5D; 12-25-2011 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    The key is TWIST + OIL
    Igor,

Comrade. When I say something is black, it is black. When I say it's white, it is white. When it comes to cars, they are an extension of how I rule and run my show, my life and who I am; Comrade...Bimmerfiver was born at night, but not last night and when he says something, that thing is as real as rain. You are separated from me by many hundreds of miles, but rest assured, your distance from me is only as far as your eyes from your computer screen. If you were closer, say in my driveway or under my hood...it would not matter nor make a difference. Why? Because what I have said, stated and written here is as valid, as substantial as what you would see with your own eyes in my driveway.

And what have I taken the time to write, here, now, in this thread, three times? For the fourth time, I state clearly: there is a big problem with the new, upgraded dipstick tube as it will not allow the dipstick to be removed (or inserted) within the tube without tremendous force, violent yanking, as the dipstick is literally caught/snagged within the tube.

You do not have to believe me.

I would ask you to understand this. There are many bright people on this Forum. When they speak, they hath spoken and what it is, is what it is. In my circle of life, living, hobbies, work...when I say something, the thing I have taken the time to state is black, white or perhaps I also enjoy great folly, humor and in these cases, I speak with colors.

You are choosing to disbelieve what is fact. You are opting not to believe. Comrade, when you are on the International Space Station and you send an email to Base Command, "NASA, there is a significant problem with the gyro sensor in docking base A, it will not sense rotation, whatsoever and I have tried many attempts to restart the gyro with no success. It's backup system is also in failure mode. Need assistance immediately." Igor, if you report that to me, let me assure you my reply will not be, "Are you sure?" By replying as such I am bringing you back to First Base. You have already been to first base, second base, third base and you are now at home plate with a serious issue. It would be my responsibility as your NASA Base Commander to listen to you, believe you and find a method to advance your issue to successful conclusion...immediately.

In real life, outside this Forum, in my professional work, I can only inform you that great men believe me the first time. I do not ever repeat myself. I do not have to. I look you in the eye and black and white are more than just heard, they are felt. In the W&P section I offer opinion, in the OT section I offer absurdity and in this Forum, I offer experience and fact.

Jason has a struggle with my style and approach. Often an issue with an e39 for me is brought back to first base. He has a midwest approach which consists of roads, paths, streets. In New York we only have highways. You understand Comrades? Here we have someone from Finland, he seems rather sharp. Me? I believe him the first time.

My very simple, mice nuts if you will (as clearly I have a much bigger fish to fry with my torque converter and/or transmission) issue was stated last week. It is my experience and fact today that a new, upgraded Dipstick Tube, purchased from BMW, installed by my own hands, will, just as F5D stated...this new dipstick tube has a serious flaw...and yes, watching your "video" on "how-to remove a dipstick" one time or one thousand times...it will not change this scientific fact.

I told you and I meant it. In 1980 at the Lake Placid Olympics I would have screamed so loudly at the CCCP players I would make their red blood burst from their ears. I was ten years old then and I imagine I could have kicked the crap out of the entire CCCP team. I wanted to be on the ice and pull a Darth Vader on them. I am a Jedi like my father before me. I am very happy today, decades later, this American Yankee Cowboy can befriend a Red Commie Ruskie Bast*rd. My Comrade, we are e39 brothers in arms and what does this mean? More than anything it means if you are on first base, stuck, or third base, frustrated, I must immediately help you home. Sign-up and write your name, believe me and F5D. He is correct. He is an e39 brother (and they play pretty good hockey over there, too). We defeated the CCCP bastids at Lake Plaicd, but the Gold Medal game...it was against the Fins.

To hockey, vodka and e39's:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywsxs5fZkA[/ame]
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-25-2011 at 10:54 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

You should buy the first delivery , made in Germany
    Now its too late , no one wanted it in 150$ so production moved to China
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-26-2011 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i

Now we are cooking with Vodka, you feel me dog.

Also...this issue raises the notion that maybe you do NOT have the new, upgraded dipstick tube. How? I have tried 3 different, new/upgraded dipstick tubes and all 3 had the identical issue (I have 1 in my car installed and tried 2 more off the car at the dealer). And F5D batted .000, his new/upgraded dipstick tube was "bad". So we have four known "bad" issues with "new/upgraded dipstick tubes."

There has been a lot of e39 owners and Parts Counter people at Dealerships very CONFUSED as to which dipstick part # is the new one. Since you don't have the issue F5D and I have...maybe you did not receive the 'new' model dipstick tube OR you have a different style of dipstick?

ACTION ITEM: Igor, please post pics of the tip on the end of your dipstick. This sounds absurd I know guys, but it will help.

PS. Humor is a very effective tool. When someone utilizes wit, humor...it shows they get it. Your post above is VERY funny. Remember what Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit" which translates to, "Ya gotta be quick and fast to get it."

PPS: I still get my inner Yankee Cowboy amped up when Ivan Drago kills Apollo Creed in Rocky IV.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    post #53
    pictures + new dipstick tube part #11437565437

and to prevent any next questions :

ACTION ITEM

Keith , stop drink vodka and start to work on your main transmission problem
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-26-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    BimmerFiver,

Does you new oil dipstick tube look like this...?
    (Below)

Here is some very good comparisons between the new oil dipstick tube design, and the oil one...
    Quote Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
    Since water condensation builds up within the CCV system (which is supposed to burn off later - I'm sure you've seen vapor or water dripping out of a tail pipe - which btw means the car was just recently started) there are times when you will temporarily see the "mayo goo" in various places (such as underneath the oil cap). Heat the engine up and all that goes away.

The oil separator (bottom funnel part of the CCV gizmo) is supposed to collect larger droplets of oil from the fumes inside the valve cover. These drops then slide out the bottom, down the hose and into the dipstick tube. But... this means at times you could pull out the dipstick to check your oil level and see the "mayo" or "coffee cream" goo and scream "agghh my headgasket blew!!@#$%" (when it didn't).

To avoid this, the oil separator drained into an outer sleeve of the dipstick guide-tube so the dipstick wouldn't ever get goo on it. So the old design had a tube within a tube. The outer sleeve into which the oil separator drained was very narrow, and mayo goo tended to freeze inside as it slowly oozed down the hose and hit a cold metal dipstick guide tube. Hey, BMW later fixed all that by getting rid of the dipstick altogether.

Just so you know, the dipstick does not go all the way down through the guide tube and out the bottom. Instead the oil goes up into the guide tube when your oil level is correct. In the old tube, the goo would have mixed with the oil way down in the oil pan. With the new design, it looks like goo might ooze down through the nipple and get on the dipstick (when there is goo).

Here you can see how narrow the outer sleve is on the old guide tube at left. I've seen pictures where the ice accumulated right up the hose and into the oil separator itself. (The new design is on the right.)

In addition, the old tube in tube idea required a vent hole:

So if anybody thinks they solved the freezing hydrolock problem by just putting a foam jacket on the CCV, well....
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-26-2011 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Jason,

Yes. I am standing on third base.

I know I purchased and have installed the NEW version. I don't want to speak of first base. I'm on third. Homeplate merely consists of knowing and seeing champaign777's dipstick. The actual dipstick.

Move forward. Always be going forward. I held the old one in my hands. I held the new one in my hands. I've read 37 threads about both dispstick tubes. I've seen 17 photos of each of them. I'm on third base.

ACTION ITEM for champaign777: champaign777 has now established he purchased the new dipstick tube. We will have to believe that what he purchased on the receipt is what he actually received. All we can do now is await champaign777's PHOTOS of the dipstick TIP and overall dipstick LENGTH and several photos of the DIPSTICK he is using.

ACTION ITEMS (PLURAL) for Jason5driver: visit your local dealer. Hold the NEW disptick tube in your hands. See and find out for yourself by...inserting the proper BMW dipstick into the tube. Then you report back. We need you to get to third base. It ain't got nothing to-do with o-rings on the dipstick and there are people who will babble about that. It's got everything to-do with part # 11431436293 which is THE dipstick listed here:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=11&fg=10

Getting snagged BADLY in the BOTTOM, at the TIP of the dipstick. Jason, you can simply go to the dealer and ask them if they have 11431436293 (dipstick) and also 11437565437 (new version of disptick tube) and if they don't have a dipstick, simply WIPE OFF yours and insert it at their parts counter (which is exactly what I did).

Your final action item Jason is to accomplish the above and not to post until you do so. Posting photos the dipstick tube doesn't help me or you. Or us. We, F5D from Finland who is a billion miles away, has concurred...there IS a problem. You need to get yourself to third base. Photos of dipstick tubes are first-base-stuff. Go to where F5D is. Go to where I am, mentally and physically.

I'm not posting in this thread any more. Someone else needs to have that AH-HAH moment. Then I'll post. And Jason if you post first-base-stuff again, I will mail you one of my shoes and when you open the box it will smack you in the face; I know full well how the dipstick sits, I am the one whose found the problem! I outlined the issue and I am waiting for you to get it. By highlighting above some dude's words about how the dipstick inserts and how oil is measured on it...no duh. That was first base stuff when I held a NEW dipstick tube in my hands at the dealer....inserted my dipstick....and WATCHED it and HEARD it SNAG VERY BADLY on a WELD/JOINT INSIDE the dipstick tube about 3.5" from the bottom.

I'm on Thursday. Monday was days ago. Let's get you to Thursday too. Then let's figure out Friday. My posts on # 147 and 149 have us on third base. Post # 163 brings us backwards.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    please please dont ask me to remove my disptick tube to prove it

what you see is what i get

ACTION ITEM for champaign777,- DONE
    photos provided
    bla bla bla provided
    video provided
    receipts provided !!
    good job
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-26-2011 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    what you see is what i get

ACTION ITEM for champaign777,- DONE
    photos provided
    bla bla bla provided
    video provided
    receipts provided !!
    good job
    champaign777,

Impressive. Nice.

I have photos of my old and new dipstick tube, but if I post them they will not solve my problem. I know I have the new dipstick tube...Jason needs to accept this...and now we now know for certain, without doubt, you do too. Both your receipt and the actual tube show us so. Thanks.

ACTION ITEM: champaign777, we need you to post detailed photos of the actual Dipstick you are using.

Thank you.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-26-2011 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    530i (2001)
    I would also like to see what the head of the dipstick of champagne777 look like. I have the new very expensive tube with the original E39 dipstick and they do not play together. I will go and visit the dealer next week and show them and demand a solution.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by F5D View Post
    1). I would also like to see what the head of the dipstick of champagne777 look like. 2). I have the new very expensive tube with the original E39 dipstick and they do not play together. 3). I will go and visit the dealer next week and show them and demand a solution.
    # 1 above....we are waiting for champaign777 to complete his latest/last ACTION ITEM.

#2 above...you and I completely agree.

# 3 above...keep us posted.

I am writing in ABC123 mode so Jason can follow and play along.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I suspect my Ccv going out again...
    I am currently on my 3rd Ccv (cold weather version).
    Crank case ventilation setup on these cars is a joke. When you are tired of replacing CCVs, consider an oil catch can.
    The new dipstick is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. It just doesn't work.
    Last edited by Schitzo; 12-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    # 1 above....we are waiting for champaign777 to complete his latest/last ACTION ITEM.

#2 above...you and I completely agree.

# 3 above...keep us posted.

I am writing in ABC123 mode so Jason can follow and play along.
    'Fiver,
    No need for the attitude.
    I understood the first time; you have a snagging problem.
    I am sorry that you are upset.
    Again, I understood completely the first time.
    My request for pictures was to help you.
    Not to be insulted from you.
    Maybe you have something different from what Champaign777 has (bottom of the tubes different - ie. - one machined, the other not)...?

I saw Champaign's pictures long ago, and again today before Champ. even posted his previous post.
    I am not on third base.
    I have hit the home-run and have made it back to home plate, waiting for you.
    I am rooting for you buddy...!
    Because you are one of my team-mates, just having some bad swings...

I hope you have a good Christmas.

Thanks!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Crank case ventilation setup on these cars is a joke.
    When you are tired of replacing CCVs, consider an oil catch can.
    The new dipstick is like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.
    It just doesn't work.
    Hi R...!
    I tend to agree...
    Especially being on my 3rd CCV.
    It's like they are designed to fail...!
    WTF...!?!?!
    LOL!
    My goal was to maybe prevent the CCV from failing if the oil dipstick is fixed by having the correct drainage and ventilation...

Did you install the oil-catch can on both your E39's?
    If so, pictures, and what was used...?

I hope you had a good Christmas!
    Mine was very nice...!
    Nice dark micro-beers and a quite fire next to the tree...

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Did you install the oil-catch can on both your E39's?
    If so, pictures, and what was used...?
    Thanks!
    Jason
    Hi Jason. Good to hear you had good holiday.I did to.
    The previous owner of my 530 had the dealership replace everything last winter after something in the system exploded and spilt oil all over the engine bay. They called it cyclonic valve failure. For now it's new enough not to warrant replacing. However if it is to fail, I will be tweaking it to use a conventional PCV and oil catch can.
    I can't justify the price of a new dipstick tube especially when it does not work.As far as I'm concerned a dipstick tube's job should be to house the dipstick and nothing else.

Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Hi Jason.
    Good to hear you had good holiday.
    I did too.
    The previous owner of my 530 had the dealership replace everything last winter after something in the system exploded and spat oil all over the engine bay.
    They called it cyclonic valve failure.
    For now it's new enough not to warrant replacing.
    However if it is to fail, I will be tweaking it to use a conventional PCV and oil catch can.
    I can't justify the price of a new dipstick tube especially when it does not work.
    As far as I'm concerned, a dipstick tube's job should be to house the dipstick, and nothing else.
    Hi!
    Did the dealer install the cold-weather CCV, or the typical CCV?

Concerning the oil catch-can...
    I have been paying close attention to this thread:
    540i osv oil catch can conversion - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate ...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-27-2011 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    BMW

Hay Igor,

Why three face palms? Over-emphasis is considered bad form in the west, young man*.

One face palm has more impact.

Merry Krimbo!

*a bit like Nikita Krushchev smashing his fist into the table.
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 12-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Hey Graham

This thread becomes very emotional and sexy ,- dipstick- tube, dipstick- tube , don't you see ?

Also when i was 3 years old we played the same game , - show me your dipstick and i will show you my tube

Merry Krimbo!
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-27-2011 at 06:33 PM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Hi!
    Did the dealer install the cold-weather CCV, or the typical ccv
    I would have to get under there and check. However, I doubt it has the cold weather ccv

Build Thread

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast