Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CCV Replacement FYI - M54

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    How about a description?
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    How about a description?
    Sorry, been busy with the family...
    I suspect my Ccv going out again...
    I am currently on my 3rd Ccv (cold weather version).
    However, I also suspect THE number 1 reason why the CCV fails is because it starts to fail from the poor original dipstick design.

My car has been using some oil, which is extremely rare, and only happens when the CCV fails.
    So, I know my mechanic has a common fix to this very common problem when he replaces Ccv's for his customers.

He modifies the original dipstick tube design to help it function more like the new dipstick design.
    He drills a new hole on the opposite side of the tube, from where the drain hose comes from the Ccv.
    That hole is drilled through BOTH inner, and outer metal tubes at the base of the dipstick.

So, instead of the hose from the Ccv draining oil between the inner, and outer tube weeps at the base of the dipstick tube, now the oil can drain directly through the larger diameter tube.
    I think my mechanic welds part of the dipstick tube closed at a section.
    He just did this procedure on my oil dipstick tube.
    Much more affordable than spending $130 for a new oil dipstick tube design.
    Especially, since the original dipstick could be bought for something like $35, and has more metal than the new design.

I have been busy with the family, more so since it is Christmas...
    I will take some photos, to show.

Also, I strongly suspect that another big reason why BimmerFiver's Ccv is failing is because he was using a heavy weight conventional oil, instead of a lower weight synthetic.
    My theory is that the detergents in the lower weight synthetic oils help keep the oil from sludging up/ less condensation.

Here's a very good thread describing the symptoms:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1392141

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Sorry, been busy with the family...
    I suspect my Ccv going out again...
    I am currently on my 3rd Ccv (cold weather version).
    However, I also suspect THE number 1 reason why the CCV fails is because it starts to fail from the poor original dipstick design.

My car has been using some oil, which is extremely rare, and only happens when the CCV fails.
    So, I know my mechanic has a common fix to this very common problem when he replaces Ccv's for his customers.

He modifies the original dipstick tube design to help it function more like the new dipstick design.
    He drills a new hole on the opposite side of the tube, from where the drain hose comes from the Ccv.
    That hole is drilled through BOTH inner, and outer metal tubes at the base of the dipstick.

So, instead of the hose from the Ccv draining oil between the inner, and outer tube weeps at the base of the dipstick tube, now the oil can drain directly through the larger diameter tube.
    I think my mechanic welds part of the dipstick tube closed at a section.
    He just did this procedure on my oil dipstick tube.
    Much more affordable than spending $130 for a new oil dipstick tube design.
    Especially, since the original dipstick could be bought for something like $35, and has more metal than the new design.

I have been busy with the family, more so since it is Christmas...
    I will take some photos, to show.

Also, I strongly suspect that another big reason why BimmerFiver's Ccv is failing is because he was using a heavy weight conventional oil, instead of a lower weight synthetic.
    My theory is that the detergents in the lower weight synthetic oils help keep the oil from sludging up/ less condensation.

Here's a very good thread describing the symptoms:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1392141

Jason, Thanks for the post - very interesting MOD - Does that fix premature CCV failure, excessive oil consumption or both?
    Did u change the CCV as well? How much oil was the car consuming?

Read the following thread for some in depth post replacement discussions.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1629018

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmoudh View Post
    Jason, Thanks for the post - very interesting MOD - Does that fix premature CCV failure, excessive oil consumption or both?

Master Jedi Tech does not believe my CCV is the cause of my odd hiccup. I believe in the days ahead this anomaly will reveal itself to be transmission related. I hope not, I could be totally wrong.

He'd like to install a new MAF as an experiement/test because he did see some slightly low values on fuel. I trust this BMW Master one hundred percent. My MAF was a gift from mmm635 two years ago and it was used then so could a faulty MAF be creating what feels very transmission-ish? Stay tuned.

I bought the new, updated dipstick tube today, part # 11437565437 and will install it Wednesday. My CCV is twelve months old, I'll wait on replacing it for now. Will install new dipstick tube/o-ring, change oil, add 6.9 quarts and monitor oil level weekly. If the CCV turns out dead, to New Jersey I go. I cannot do another e39 CCV. Gumbi's crew has it down to a science.

Long live kerryb's CCV! Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting. Mayo is a think for subs.

Quote Gurney Halleck and bimmerfiver.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Jason, thanks for the description. Seems like a reasonable approach. Anyway, it couldn't hurt.

Sorry for thee duplicate post - I don't know how that happened.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Hi!
    My hypothesis is that this fix will prevent premature CCV failure, and oil consumption...
    However, I just had this done, so I need to gather a little time first before I can really recommend this, or really show a whole lot about it...
    I am testing it out, however, logically, the process makes complete sense!

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Master Jedi Tech does not believe my CCV is the cause of my odd hiccup. I believe in the days ahead this anomaly will reveal itself to be transmission related. I hope not, I could be totally wrong.

He'd like to install a new MAF as an experiment/test because he did see some slightly low values on fuel. I trust this BMW Master one hundred percent. My MAF was a gift from mmm635 two years ago and it was used then so could a faulty MAF be creating what feels very transmission-ish? Stay tuned.

I bought the new, updated dipstick tube today, part # 11437565437 and will install it Wednesday. My CCV is twelve months old, I'll wait on replacing it for now. Will install new dipstick tube/o-ring, change oil, add 6.9 quarts and monitor oil level weekly. If the CCV turns out dead, to New Jersey I go. I cannot do another e39 CCV. Gumbi's crew has it down to a science.
    Your MAF story just threw a light-bulb on my head...!

I had tried an aftermarket MAF as an experience long ago...
    However, using it almost left me stranded and having the car towed.
    The car ran a little weird/ hot at first, but later that day, the car went into transmission limp mode, thus causing the transmission to crazy-scary shift incredibly HARD... Not good/ bad ju-ju...
    So, in theory, a bad MAF could cause the transmission to do some crazy things IMO (wrong fuel to air ratio mixture, etc...).
    Your new dipstick...?
    http://ebmwparts.com/partlocator/ind...&siteid=216397

Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Jason, thanks for the description. Seems like a reasonable approach. Anyway, it couldn't hurt.

Sorry for thee duplicate post - I don't know how that happened.
    You can go back and delete the duplicate posts BTW...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    You can go back and delete the duplicate posts BTW...
    I tried earlier, but I failed to get all the buttons pushed.
    Steve
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Hi!
    My hypothesis is that this fix will prevent premature CCV failure, and oil consumption...
    However, I just had this done, so I need to gather a little time first before I can really recommend this, or really show a whole lot about it...
    I am testing it out, however, logically, the process makes complete sense!
    Curious to know if that helps reduce oil consumption. Am also looking to do a third CCV replacement on the 01 (M54).

If it does, will need exact location and size (inches from bottom and diameter) on the tube where this additional hole is drilled.

Has anyone confirmed the new dipstick tube design actually reduces oil consumption?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Curious to know if that helps reduce oil consumption. Am also looking to do a third CCV replacement on the 01 (M54).

If it does, will need exact location and size (inches from bottom and diameter) on the tube where this additional hole is drilled.

Has anyone confirmed the new dipstick tube design actually reduces oil consumption?
    Hi!
    Sorry, I don't know your name yet, but, I am VERY glad that you are posting, and have a great comprehension, and wanting to ask questions about this!
    Thanks!

Anyways...
    I did stop by mechanic's shop again this morning, and brought up that I had to add another 1/2 quart of oil right after my mechanic modified my original dipstick (Mobil 1 0w-40, that I always keep in the trunk hidden with the spare).

I also noticed that when my mechanic did this "mod" to my original dipstick tube design, the dipstick itself doesn't quite sit completely down all the way, so that the (2) O-rings at the top of the stick do note quite seal all the way, unless I twist the dipstick once pushed down.

So, I am bringing the car back, possibly after the holidays, since my mechanic is so crazy busy, and since we have a good relationship...

I mentioned to my mechanic that maybe the dipstick tube got a little bent when doing the modification, or when they drilled the hole to allow the oil to weep to the larger diameter tube base, part of the tube metal might have been pushed in the way of the dipstick.

So, my mechanic will be doing the quick fix on the dipstick tube.
    And, I also mentioned to check out the oil consumption, and to do a vacuum test, and smoke test, to verify if the CCV is working correctly, and all the other intake system is working correctly as well.

I did ask my mechanic how long he had been doing this modification on the M54 original dipstick tubes, and said he had been doing it for quite some time (probably several years) and any cars that have a CCV problem (many lol...).
    I asked if his customers that had this done ever needed to come back for continuing problems with their CCV.

He said, no.
    This modification fixes the problems with the CCV.

I also asked if he thought the clogging of the dipstick weeps of the oil draining back into the oil pan was the initial starter/ where the CCV first starts to fail.

He said, "Yes."

Just as I originally suspected...

I will keep up with the update, and finally give some pictures when everything is finally put together correctly.
    I will probably do a complete DIY on the procedure of modifying the original dipstick tube.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Hi!
    Sorry, I don't know your name yet, but, I am VERY glad that you are posting, and have a great comprehension, and wanting to ask questions about this!
    Thanks!

I will keep up with the update, and finally give some pictures when everything is finally put together correctly.
    I will probably do a complete DIY on the procedure of modifying the original dipstick tube.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Jason,
    Thanks for the detailed update - I will postpone my third CCV until the Spring since it is cold, have travel plans the next few weeks and hopefully will get the full update on your experiences with this "mod". Good luck.
    Mahmoud Hussein

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Jason, can't wait for pics and sketches and the final slam-bang.
    I have the winterized CCV version, but with the original dipstick.
    Also, since I have the new CCV, I have oil consumption - about 1 qt/2000 miles.
    Before the CCV failed I had zilch. Never had to add anything.
    I would like to see what the "fix" is and apply it to my dipstick as well.
    When you post the "fix", if you could elaborate in detail (distance from bottom of the dipstick to where the hole is drilled, what diameter, on which side, etc). And, yes, I know I'm needy.

Cheers
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Jason, can't wait for pics and sketches and the final slam-bang.
    I have the winterized CCV version, but with the original dipstick.
    Also, since I have the new CCV, I have oil consumption - about 1 qt/2000 miles.
    Before the CCV failed I had zilch. Never had to add anything.
    I would like to see what the "fix" is and apply it to my dipstick as well.
    When you post the "fix", if you could elaborate in detail (distance from bottom of the dipstick to where the hole is drilled, what diameter, on which side, etc). And, yes, I know I'm needy.

Cheers
    LOL!
    Don't worry D about the amount of detail...
    Let's just say that drawing and details are related to my work...

I will have dimensions for everything, no worries...

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    LOL!
    Don't worry D about the amount of detail...
    Let's just say that drawing and details are related to my work...

I will have dimensions for everything, no worries...
    K bud. Muchas gracias.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I have the new, updated dipstick tube.
    I picked up 7 quarts of Castrol German 0w/30.
    Will be installing new dipstick tube on Thursday morning.
    I will update my oil consumption on a weekly basis.
    Purchasing H&R Springs for Christmas.
    Vogtlands for sale in February.
    Unless tranny explodes first.
    If I need a CCV I am driving to Gumbi's shop.
    Will go to bakery first and buy a cake with 'BMW CCV FMMFL' in blue and white icing.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I picked up 7 quarts of German Castrol 0w-30.
    Will go to bakery first and buy a cake with 'BMW CCV FMTFL' in blue and white icing.
    Good man!
    Can't wait to see difference, and hear your review!

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I am PM'ing Tim Tebow as we speak.
    Want his blessings on my upgraded dipstick tube.
    Would've had the dipstick taken care of tonight, but the final, metal mount for my muffler decided to break. I have a big rubber donut near the tailpipe for my muffler, which connects from the frame of the car to the muffler via a three inch steel hook. Luckily the rubber donut and metal hook were dangling from the car...fropped the exhaust system...placed metal hook on wire wheel...removed all surface rust from it...put air wire wheel onto a small surface of the frame to clean welding area...and TIG welded 3" metal hook back in place with a huge, beefy weld. It was formerly spot-welded, it's now melded to my car. Exhaust is now tighter than a German snare drum.

Dipstick delayed till Thursday.
    Yes I installed exhaust tonight while wearing cashmere sweater, wool dress slacks and Allen Edmonds dress shoes as it occured driving home from work.
    I work in cashmere. For dipstick tube job I will remove precious Allen Edmonds loafers.

PS: WTF is the deal with the price of GC 0w/30? It was $9.15 PER QUART at Pep Boys.

My Cars
    2001 530iA, 2000 GMC Z71
    Very interested in this thread ... I changed to cold-climate CCV in November, since last winter I heard some 'wheezing'. All seemed fine thru summer, but I didn't want to chance another winter without the cold-weather version. Now I'm burning about a quart every 2K miles, which is far more that the quart every 5K (at oil change interval) before.

PS ... everything looked pretty clean (no mayo) when I swapped systems in Nov. Hope I haven't made things worse.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I am PM'ing Tim Tebow as we speak.
    Want his blessings on my upgraded dipstick tube.
    Would've had the dipstick taken care of tonight, but the final, metal mount for my muffler decided to break. I have a big rubber donut near the tailpipe for my muffler, which connects from the frame of the car to the muffler via a three inch steel hook. Luckily the rubber donut and metal hook were dangling from the car...fropped the exhaust system...placed metal hook on wire wheel...removed all surface rust from it...put air wire wheel onto a small surface of the frame to clean welding area...and TIG welded 3" metal hook back in place with a huge, beefy weld. It was formerly spot-welded, it's now melded to my car. Exhaust is now tighter than a German snare drum.

Dipstick delayed till Thursday.
    Yes I installed exhaust tonight while wearing cashmere sweater, wool dress slacks and Allen Edmonds dress shoes as it occured driving home from work.
    I work in cashmere. For dipstick tube job I will remove precious Allen Edmonds loafers.

PS: WTF is the deal with the price of GC 0w/30? It was $9.15 PER QUART at Pep Boys.
    LOL!
    That's pretty cool!
    Cashmere helps you concentrate more, and keep the oil/ grease off...

Awesome!
    I wish I could have seen you doing the welding with dress clothes on...!
    Priceless!
    Sounds like something I would do!
    Also, I would consider looking at Mobil 1 0w-40 at Walmart (Wally World) for approx. $6.50 a quart...
    I recently found some Valvoline Syn-Power 5w-40 (LL-04) for $7.17 a quart at Walmart as well...
    Pretty good deal IMO...
    I also pay approx. $7.50 a quart for the Amsoil 5w-40 euro, but I am local to an Amsoil warehouse, so I don't have to pay shipping...

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-20-2011 at 11:38 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    That's what we pay N of the border (actually 9.75 or so).
    Motor oil prices get up.
    I might switch to Amsoil - I can have it at 7.50 right now.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    I picked up 7 quarts of Castrol German 0w/30.
    Will go to bakery first and buy a cake with 'BMW CCV FMMFL' in blue and white icing.
    Hi Keith,
    Can you establish a baseline for your car before the dipstick tube change? What is your oil consumption now (1 qt every ???? miles)?

If the newly designed dipstick tube improves oil separation and decreases consumption, it would be good to know if that is because it changes the balance of the vaccum vs blowby gas equation at the CCV diaphragm.

If possible, can you also take vaccum and crank case pressure readings before and after new dipstick tube replacement?

See my post at the link below for more details.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1629018&page=4

Not sure I want a piece of that cake

BTW: Autozone has GC 0w30 on sale.
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 12-21-2011 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Hi Keith,
    Can you establish a baseline for your car before the dipstick tube change? What is your oil consumption now (1 qt every ???? miles)?

If the newly designed dipstick tube improves oil separation and decreases consumption, it would be good to know if that is because it changes the balance of the vaccum vs blowby gas equation at the CCV diaphragm.

If possible, can you also take vaccum and crank case pressure readings before and after new dipstick tube replacement?
    I do not have access to-do pressure readings.
    I have only witnessed oil usage within the past month.
    I lost 1.5 quarts in 1 month.
    Dip stick tube goes in tomorrow am.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    ?????????

I replaced my dipstick tube today with the new, upgraded version and NOW....the actual dipstick will barely come out of the tube. Wow...I went to check my oil tonight and the effin dipstick fights violently to come out. It's snagged at the bottom part of the actual dipstick.

Is there now a new dipstick needed??? I have to call BMW tomorrow first thing. I thought we could re-use our original dipstick...didn't see this issue coming. I can barely remove the dipstick with violence as the TIP of it snags within the new tube. Then when you re-install the dipstick...it' gets 85% of the way in and then it realllllllllly fights you to be put back in place.

I twist and pull like I always have. It's not snagged at the o-rings on the dipstick upper handle...it's really caught up down below.

Cliffs = old dipstick tube and dipstick worked perfectly together to check the oil level. New dispstick tube with same dipstick and it really looks like the dipstick itself will break at the tip if I attempt to pull it out.

I see some BMW's have this issue:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pull-out.html

Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-23-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    ?????????

I replaced my dipstick tube today with the new, upgraded version and NOW....the actual dipstick will barely come out of the tube. Wow...I went to check my oil tonight and the effin dipstick fights violently to come out. It's snagged at the bottom part of the actual dipstick.

Is there now a new dipstick needed??? I have to call BMW tomorrow first thing. I thought we could re-use our original dipstick...didn't see this issue coming. I can barely remove the dipstick with violence as the TIP of it snags within the new tube. Then when you re-install the dipstick...it' gets 85% of the way in and then it realllllllllly fights you to be put back in place.

I twist and pull like I always have. It's not snagged at the o-rings on the dipstick upper handle...it's really caught up down below.

Cliffs = old dipstick tube and dipstick worked perfectly together to check the oil level. New dispstick tube with same dipstick and it really looks like the dipstick itself will break at the tip if I attempt to pull it out.

I see some BMW's have this issue:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pull-out.html

Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot
    Champaign777 has the new dipstick tube design.
    I would try asking him if he had any problems installing...

I think a new dipstick is something like $15 from the dealer.
    I have been contemplating getting a new one as well.
    Maybe there is something stuck in the new tube...?
    Not sure...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-23-2011 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Champaine777 has the new dipstick tube design.
    I would try asking him if he had any problems installing...

I think a new dipstick is something like $15 from the dealer.
    I have been contemplating getting a new one as well.
    Maybe there is something stuck in the new tube...?
    Not sure...
    Currently, my dipstick is 'new'. It's less than a year old. My question for champaign777 is for him to respond to my post above, yes...because a new dipstick won't resolve the issue (unless it is a different style).

Other than that, I cannot understand why the new, upgraded dipstick tube is snagging the dipstick.

EDIT and UPDATE:

Drove to dealer.
    Showed the in-person how difficult/impossible it is to remove or insert dipstick into the new/upgraded dipstick tube.
    "Wow" was their response when they tried it for themselves.
    We went back into the Parts Department.
    We grabbed another new/upgraded dipstick tube off their shelf.
    We inserted my dipstick into it (which has zero issues being inserted/removed from my 'old' dipstick tube) AND it was snagged/caught inside the tube bigtime. Twisting and pulling...it will not come out...it takes shear violence to get it out (and I am obviously concerned the plastic tip will break and fall into my oil pan).
    This experiment showed us that a). either the new/upgraded Dipstick Tube is fubar or b). the new/upgraded Dipstick Tube requires a different dipstick.
    I currently have a near-new dipstick, part # 11431436293 and on realoem it's here:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=11&fg=10

And it looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0056w.jpg/sr=1

1). BMW is ordering a new dipstick, same part # I ordered a year ago and currently have, part # 11431436293
    2). BMW believes the dipstick tip may have changed and the new one which will arrive Wednesday may look different.
    3). BMW said if the new dipstick does not solve the problem, they will shave down the piece at the end that is snagging (the part of the dipstick which is getting caught in the bottom of the tube, is the middle section of the dipstick, where there is a rectangle of plastic).

Different thread with IDENTICAL issue:

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/128...k-oil-dipstick

If you browse this thread you'll see I am not the only Dipstick, as this is a stoopid issue, absurd and silly...but there are others:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=765418

So if champaign777 can weigh-in, I'd like to see his detailed response.

Aside, great article discussing BMW CCV's:

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1677
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Relax Keith, its a Christmas Time

The dipstick is VERY tight inside a NEW dipstick tube and need to be TWISTED when taking IN/OUT

I bought even new dipstick together with new dipstick tube for one car ( around 10$ ) and it is the same story here
    Also there is NO difference between new / old dipstick but ONLY between new / old dipstick tube
    I asked my friend from BMW department , no "Wow" response as they changed many of them , he said its normal due to a different design
    Telling you 2 cars, 2 new dipstick tubes even one with new dipstick, both are difficult to take out but after 1-2 month it will come out much easy ,

Enjoy the video !

http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P1018345.mp4

Cheers, I
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-23-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast