Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CCV Replacement FYI - M54

My Cars
    2003 525i

Doru and champaign777 - ALERT

Question for you two. Here is my current dipstick, same one I've always had in the car. We know it gets badly snagged inside my Cold Weather Dipstick Tube. I just replaced all 7 quarts with Castro GC and wanted to check my oil level. Here is where it now shows oil level on dipstick, which is from memory, much higher on the dipstick than with the old Standard Dipstick Tube.

I am posting this photo with the request and ACTION ITEM for you two...to check your oil level and let me know I am not crazy.

My index finger is pointing to the level:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    530i (2001)
    Ok, some photos now...

My original E39 dipstick. The plastic next to the fins and some other places got cracked when trying to get the stick out of the new tube for the first time. I had to remove the whole tube together with the stick and help the stick out with a screwdriver. To make it work with the new dipstick tube, the corners of the plastic parts should be smoothed out, for example using sand paper, to get similar shape with doru's stick shown earlier in this thread. I'd rather use sand paper than let the dipstick tube machine my stick and leave the plastic slices in the engine.

The new cold climate 437 dipstick tube photographed from the bottom end using iphone with flash pushed against the tube opening. Sorry for the quality, but it was very difficult to get any photo from the dark interior. The problematic tube (I believe) with a sharp cut edge (pointed using a red arrow) is located close to the junction where the smaller tube for the CCV return is located (also shown in the photo in the "upper right corner"). At least my dipstick got stuck at the edge pointed with the red arrow.

Another shot of the tube with another camera (from 1 meter away). I believe, the edge of the inner tube should be machined smoother to make it work.
    Last edited by F5D; 12-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Question for you two. Here is my current dipstick, same one I've always had in the car. We know it gets badly snagged inside my Cold Weather Dipstick Tube. I just replaced all 7 quarts with Castro GC and wanted to check my oil level. Here is where it now shows oil level on dipstick, which is from memory, much higher on the dipstick than with the old Standard Dipstick Tube.

I am posting this photo with the request and ACTION ITEM for you two...to check your oil level and let me know I am not crazy.

My index finger is pointing to the level:
    dude
    you finger is pointed to some Unknown territory

this is a Known territory , looks like you need to suck some oil out

Last edited by champaign777; 12-30-2011 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Igor-

You missed the entire point of my post. ABC123 equals:

1). 7 quarts of oil in engine.
    2). Original Dipstick Tube with those 7 quarts and I see measurement like you point out above.
    3). SAME 7 quarts of oil in engine.
    4). NEW Cold Weather Version Dipstick Tube installed.
    5). Oil level is MUCH higher on the dipstick.

Dude, it ain't the oil...

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Keith, something is very wrong with your oil level.
    As Igor said, suck some of it out. Looks like you're about 2 qts above the 6.5 if not more.
    When I change the oil & filter I always have to fill about 7 qts (or 7 liters). Then I am almost close to the max level. This is what I always did for the last 5 years twice a year. And since the cold CCV another qt or so between oil changes (goddamit !!)
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Keith, something is very wrong with your oil level.
    As Igor said, suck some of it out. Looks like you're about 2 qts above the 6.5 if not more.
    When I change the oil & filter I always have to fill about 7 qts (or 7 liters). Then I am almost close to the max level. This is what I always did for the last 5 years twice a year. And since the cold CCV another qt or so between oil changes (goddamit !!)
    Dude read post # 229.

Come on guys.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Igor-

You missed the entire point of my post. ABC123 equals:

1). 7 quarts of oil in engine.
    2). Original Dipstick Tube with those 7 quarts and I see measurement like you point out above.
    3). SAME 7 quarts of oil in engine.
    4). NEW Cold Weather Version Dipstick Tube installed.
    5). Oil level is MUCH higher on the dipstick.

Dude, it ain't the oil...
    Ahhh!!! Now I know: the Jedi forces suck all my oil and in mysterious ways it goes through the Milky Way straight in Bimmerfiver's oil pan!!!!

Seriously, maybe you have a obstructed hose, OR (this like a fantasy): all the oil you accumulated in the air distribution box just liquified and got dumped in the oil pan. I guess some serious checking needs to be done, starting with an oil change maybe. Then, if you have one of those boroscopes cameras maybe you can snuck it the oil pan somehow see if everything is clear. Then look for kinks in the CCV system?
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post

Ahhh!!! Now I know: the Jedi forces suck all my oil and in mysterious ways it goes through the Milky Way straight in Bimmerfiver's oil pan!!!!

Seriously, maybe you have a obstructed hose, OR (this like a fantasy): all the oil you accumulated in the air distribution box just liquified and got dumped in the oil pan. I guess some serious checking needs to be done, starting with an oil change maybe. Then, if you have one of those boroscopes cameras maybe you can snuck it the oil pan somehow see if everything is clear. Then look for kinks in the CCV system?
    When I installed the NEW dipstick tube, I did an oil change. I took all the oil out of the engine. I installed 7 quarts.

This oil measurement ANOMALY occured AFTER the NEW dipstick tube.

There are 7 quarts of oil in my engine BUT the new dipstick tube has created the change of level.

If I drain my oil tomorrow for giggles and measure it, it will be 7 quarts. If I re-install 7 quarts the level will show precisely as it does in my photo above (way too high).

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    bimmerfiver

530i and 525i use the same amount of oil ( in theory ) but my are not

I cant explain it but my 525i always needs 0.5L less than 530i
    So take it as a German Engineering Mystery and suck some oil out or burn all your engine gaskets and make another Russian Rocket which failed recently
    Last edited by champaign777; 12-30-2011 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Bimmerfiver,

So you're saying the new dipstick (or dipstick tube) measures the same amount of oil differently, righ?

Have you compared the old and new dipsticks side by side? That would pretty easy. Or just measure from the top flange where it rests on the tube to the full mark.

Steve
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Stoopid question...did you also replace the filter (extra quart there)? And have you considered the possibility that you have the wrong dipstick? I know, obvious questions but this is awfully strange...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Bimmerfiver,

So you're saying the new dipstick (or dipstick tube) measures the same amount of oil differently, righ?

Have you compared the old and new dipsticks side by side? That would pretty easy. Or just measure from the top flange where it rests on the tube to the full mark.

Steve
    I did not replace the dipstick.
    I only replaced dipstick tube.
    I am getting a COMPLETELY different reading now on the SAME dipstick I've always been using with the SAME seven quarts I always install.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Stoopid question...did you also replace the filter (extra quart there)? And have you considered the possibility that you have the wrong dipstick? I know, obvious questions but this is awfully strange...

Been changing my oil in this car since I bought it in 2006.
    Always replace my filter.
    Always install 7 quarts.
    Nothing has changed, except the new Dipstick Tube.

Realoem says I should have Dipstick part # 11431436293

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=10

1). I created this Post and took these pictures to ask WTF is going on (not have 2 dudes above tell me to "drain oil"). Come on dudes! Doru and champaign777, do you really think I put 8 or 9 quarts of oil in my car? Do you doubt a master on simple oil change?

Here is a photo of the part number on my dipstick which IS # 1436293#:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Is the new dipstick tube installed correctly...?
    Is it pushed down farther than the old tube was?
    Or, like was asked before, do the two tubes measure the same in length...?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Is the new dipstick tube installed correctly...?
    Is it pushed down farther than the old tube was?
    Or, like was asked before, do the two tubes measure the same in length...?
    There is only 1 way to install tube. This is not human error.
    As for overall length impossible for me to measure. It's IN the car. I could go to dealer and measuer Cold Version Dipstick Tube verus the Standard Tube.

Guys I posted this because it's not aliens, ET or I overfilled by 1.5 or 2 quarts or didn't know how-to install a tube (which is not leaking, is rock solid and only has 1 bolt to install). Something is wrong. Either a different Dipstick is now needed or I dunno wtf.

If someone tells me to drain 1.5 quarts I will kick them in the kneecap.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-30-2011 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    You are so strong that you pushed the dipstick down too far into the dipstick tube...

You could try removing the new tube and measure it, and compare/contrast with the old tube...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    You could try removing the new tube and measure it, and compare/contrast with the old tube...
    Eff this. Dude it's a very easy job, but you have to gerbil removing/installing the intake and my low back ain't doing that 1 hour job again. The dealer has several Cold Version Tubes on the shelf. I still have my old Tube. I will go to dealer and measure them. The dealer was also ordering me a new dipstick...the dipstick will be the identical part number from Realoem (which is already in my car) so I don't see how this will change anything.

Bimmerfiver = knows how to change oil.
    Bimmerfiver = replace only his Disptick tube to the new, Cold Weather Version.
    Bimmerfiver = now reading oil level to appear to be 1.75 quarts too much.

Wacked.

(and Doru and Igor shame on you for suggesting I am overfilled and need to drain. For Christ's sakes men, wouldn't you trust me on oil change 101!)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    ...As for overall length impossible for me to measure. It's IN the car. I could go to dealer and measuer Cold Version Dipstick Tube verus the Standard Tube...
    Or you could take a piece of stiff wire, put a small 90 degree bend in one end, push it down the tube, pull it back until the small bend finds the end of the tube, mark the wire at the top of the tube, and then pull it out and measure the distance.

At least that will give you the distance to the bottom of the tube. If one tube extends further into the crankcase, that would be meaningless.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Or you could take a piece of stiff wire, put a small 90 degree bend in one end, push it down the tube, pull it back until the small bend finds the end of the tube, mark the wire at the top of the tube, and then pull it out and measure the distance.

At least that will give you the distance to the bottom of the tube. If one tube extends further into the crankcase, that would be meaningless.
    Fudman had an interesting one:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413561

And though I haven't replaced my Dipstick (just my Tube) this thread (entire thread of interest) goes to show variation in length of the same part # of dipstick AND POST # 51 is VERY interesting:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=765418

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    do you have oil in oil filter ?
    just idle car 3-5 min and then check level again after some time
    Last edited by champaign777; 01-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Fudman had an interesting one:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413561

And though I haven't replaced my Dipstick (just my Tube) this thread (entire thread of interest) goes to show variation in length of the same part # of dipstick AND POST # 51 is VERY interesting:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=765418
    Kind of seems that BMW doesn't think that the oil level is all that critical.

Lately, I've been removing the filler cap before I check the level. I sometimes reads a little higher. I'm not sure of the implications of that situation.
    Steve
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver

Been changing my oil in this car since I bought it in 2006.
    Always replace my filter.
    Always install 7 quarts.
    Nothing has changed, except the new Dipstick Tube.

Realoem says I should have Dipstick part # 11431436293

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=10

1). I created this Post and took these pictures to ask WTF is going on (not have 2 dudes above tell me to "drain oil"). Come on dudes! Doru and champaign777, do you really think I put 8 or 9 quarts of oil in my car? Do you doubt a master on simple oil change?

Here is a photo of the part number on my dipstick which IS # 1436293#:
    Weird...I guessed you know what you're doing and I did clarify that my questions were stoopid...LOL. I'm very curious as to why the reading is so much higher?!?!? It's gotta be an incorrectly marked tube...OR the wrong part number. Obviously it isn't anything that you did...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    do you have oil in oil filter ?
    just idle a car 3-5 min and then check level again after some time
    My oil filter is soaking wet...been driving around for a week with the New Tube and I changed my oil on that same day last week.

I hear you about letting it run and then shut down/wait...but dude I have never seen my oil level that high before, ever. Granted the car was sitting for 3 days when I checked it this morning out of curiosity and you can imagine how shocked I was. Here I am trying to monitor it for oil-loss due to a suspect CCV and looking to see the results/impact of a New Cold Weather Tube...and I am hoping not to see any oil loss...and instead I see +1.5 quarts over.

I will get to the bottom of this tomorrow. I'll simply drain all the oil out and refill it accordingly. Though I know I installed 7 quarts, all I can do is do it again and if the oil level displays that high on the Stick, so be it. Just really strange. If you read the links I offered above, Fudman had an odd issue and the other link showed a discrepancy of 10mm from dipstick to dipstick (same part number).

Will keep all u dudes posted. This is a strange bird. But hey, I did get some cheesy black, piano gloss pillars today. So all was not lost. Very strange thing to replace the Tube with the best of intentions, only to have it fight my dipstick and now see a bizarre level-reading.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 12-30-2011 at 10:10 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Here I am trying to monitor it for oil-loss due to a suspect CCV and looking to see the results/impact of a New Cold Weather Tube...and I am hoping not to see any oil loss...and instead I see +1.5 quarts over...
    Maybe this how the new dipstick tube solves the oil consumption problem - fuzzy math.
    Steve
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Maybe this how the new dipstick tube solves the oil consumption problem - fuzzy math.
    Steve, you may not be able to see it now in my writing, but your statement here was the first thing which my brain offered. It's always "Hans" in my mind, this conjured-up BMW Engineer who may or may not exist. I thought to myself after applying my ebay glossy bling pillars...let me check the oil right now for guys like Jason and mahmoud who are curious. I pop the hood, check it three times, think "****ing Hans has fixed me up again. Mofo solved the CCV oil consumption alright."

LOL. I'm waiting to receive and see my new dipstick. I wonder if it has on it's tip some Top Secret Built-in German Float.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast