Thread: Has anybody tackled a manual transmission swap on an E65/E66 ?

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit

Has anybody tackled a manual transmission swap on an E65/E66 ?

I am a huge E65/E66 affectionado and I'd love to see a manual one. Has anybody ever built one?

My Cars
    Black 2002 745Li, white 1997 740iL
    What would you swap it with? From what it looks like on realoem.com, the manual SMG / non-SMG GS6-53BZ transmissions may bolt up, as they are used on the N62 engines listed below. Any idea what kind of coding would need to be done for a non-SMG one?

Cars with the GS6-53BZ transmission:
    - E60 545's
    - E63/E64 645's

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    basically a 6speed from a 550i or a 545i would work ...

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750i
    A 5 series 6 speed should work and I think would be a really good addition to a 7 series. I love my 7 but hate the transmission. My transmission is clunky and has been the only constant problem I have had. BMW has always had a great manual transmission. This is the first out of 7 BMW's I have had with an automatic transmission and will probably be my last.

My Cars
    no bimmer yet
    Drooling at the thought...

My Cars
    '06 750Li, '06 HiHy
    The car is SOOO heavy, what's the point of throwing in a shift gate into driving a boat? My tranny is VERY smooth and can be shifted to manual and then you can use the steering wheels buttons.
    2012 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

My Cars
    no bimmer yet
    Quote Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
    The car is SOOO heavy, what's the point of throwing in a shift gate into driving a boat? My tranny is VERY smooth and can be shifted to manual and then you can use the steering wheels buttons.
    Buttons can never replace a manual transmission. At least not for me. I really miss a manual at times. Auto transmissions are great in traffic or if I'm putting about, but nothing can replace a stick. With an auto, I feel more like a passenger, while with a manual, I really feel like I am the one driving. Best I can explain it to ya!
    Last edited by ferndalien; 06-28-2010 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Hasn't this been discussed? Maybe it was on the e38 sub forum.

This sounds like a great idea, but I seriously doubt it could be, or ever will be done. Lets say that there is indeed a transmission that will bolt up. Thats the easy part. Now how about the actuator for the TO bearing? What flywheel? How about the cross member? Drive-shaft? Peddles? Don't forget, you would either need to cut down the brake pedal pad and fab up a clutch pedal or install an entire set of peddles from a donor.

How about the interior? Where, on an e65/66, are you going to have the shifter come out? You can't simply remove the center console. It houses some mighty important electronics. Even if you were lucky enough to have the shifter line up with the cup holders, it there actually enough room for the throw of a shifter there?

Then you get into the real heart of the problem. All of the electronic issues. Sure, you could "fool" the car into thinking it was, say, a 6 series, but would it actually work? Do you have all of the computer software/hardware needed to make it change personalities? Remember, lots of things have to be correctly coded throughout the entire car and that coding must match so the car will even run.

I see nothing wrong with driving a large, heavy car with a manual. Heck, the Impala was 4600+ lbs (heavier than my e66 was) and I swapped it over to a 6 speed. With 4:56, 4:10 and even 3:73 gears is was a blast to drive. It had bottom end torque though. These BMW's don't. Actually, they are very poor performers on the bottom end. Not that they aren't great cars, they just don't have good torque on the bottom.

Overall I'd say this is a great dream, but I doubt it will ever happen. Good luck though.

My Cars
    '06 750Li, '06 HiHy
    Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Buttons can never replace a manual transmission. At least not for me. I really miss a manual at times. Auto transmissions are great in traffic or if I'm putting about, but nothing can replace a stick. With an auto, I feel more like a passenger, while with a manual, I really feel like I am the one driving. Best I can explain it to ya!
    I know the buttons aren't TRULY equivalent but they are a reasonable compromise IMHO. I've heard your argument in the past on other cars but when Porsche and BMW started migrating to the paddle shifters, they too removed the "slamming the stick" feeling so it may be going away in the long run anyway?
    2012 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

My Cars
    2000 750il
    as a performance mod, paddles are way cooler than slamming sticks.

My only concern with an auto tranny is how much power it can hold before it pukes its guts out. Converting a manual tranny to a tremec viper spec tranny with a bellhousing solves this issue.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridracers View Post

My only concern with an auto tranny is how much power it can hold before it pukes its guts out. Converting a manual tranny to a tremec viper spec tranny with a bellhousing solves this issue.
    hmmm.... BMW alreayd has solid 6 speed trannies that have great feel and bolt up to the motor.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridracers View Post
    That is truly a matter of opinion.

My Cars
    Has anyone seen dyno runs from an E38 before and after a manual transmission swap? Curious how much power could be gained.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Typically Autos give about 22% loss and Manuals give about 18%. Its really more of an ego thing these days. "Oh, I have a stick, look at me run it up through the gears!" (Audi claims a 50ms shift on their autos, I doubt that can be dome manually) They CAN provide slightly better fuel economy and yes, they can be a LOT more fun to drive. Well, that is if you NEVER get stuck in traffic. Personally I don't like BMW's clutch set up. It offers absolutely NO feedback in your foot at all. That can be said for a lot of manual transmission cars these days actually.

Out of all seriousness, if you want a manual transmission, an e66/65 is not the kind of car you should be driving. Try a 5 series. Nearly the same size, manual is available, slightly more reliable and can give just as comfortable of a ride. (as the e65)

My Cars
    Thanks! ...just always wondered how big of a difference there was.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Has anything changed ? Damn I am gonna have to do the first one one day? May take a while since my M5 simply will not die.

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    The only way I see this as possible with an e65/66 is to have a donor M5. Swap the entire drive line plus some of the interior pieces. All electronics and basically fool the 7 series body into thinking its really an M5. Not cost effective at all.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Quote Originally Posted by T56 Impala View Post
    The only way I see this as possible with an e65/66 is to have a donor M5. Swap the entire drive line plus some of the interior pieces. All electronics and basically fool the 7 series body into thinking its really an M5. Not cost effective at all.
    It's already been mentioned that the 545i and 550i 6 speed trans bolts right up to the engine.

Custom driveshaft, custom center console, install 545i6 pedal set tune(the big one) the ecm to run manual.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Quote Originally Posted by jfboy View Post
    It's already been mentioned that the 545i and 550i 6 speed trans bolts right up to the engine.

Custom driveshaft, custom center console, install 545i6 pedal set tune(the big one) the ecm to run manual.
    A lot similat to the 6 speed swaps that have been done in the 740il's

My Cars
    BMW 745i E65
    I love the idea of a 6 speed...just not on such a big car. If you want a sporty car that you control 100% you probably should look into sports sedans instead of luxury flagships.

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Oldie thread but I'll chip in couple words haha.
    People mentioned what about this n what about that.... Wow, in any swap you need or be prepared to custom make crossembers, Driveshafts, pedals etc.... Common sense.... If there was something kit, everybody would do it or had it done!
    If my tranny goes out in the future, you bet your ass I'm doing the swap....
    Relocating the idrive is simple..... Everything is simple once you put your mind to it.... I can't believe people are so negative with this "can't be done" or "if you want a stick get a...." I say no! OP, hope you're still around and I hope you still have your dream?!
    If you want to know or see what it takes to swap drive train, check out my build thread on the bottom of this post.....

- - - Updated - - -

Matter of fact..... I just drove to work in my 745....looks like its a simple 2 to 3 inch push back of the top center console. That would include the idrive and seat controls... The shift gate would sit in the middle of the cup holders... There, done... Simple mod..... It can be done!
    My build thread M20 than S50 into 320i: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post23442810

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Still has not been done