Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Independent shop recommendation in Atlanta, GA?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Independent shop recommendation in Atlanta, GA?

I'm planning on picking up a '98 M3 sedan at the end of the month in Atlanta, GA. The car is in excellent condition inside and out, and the current owner recently had it serviced at the dealer. This included a full cooling system overhaul as well as some fluid flushes and other minor fixes.

Overall, it seems like a very nice M car with average (102k) miles for the year that's nearly stock with a tasteful color combo (Cosmos Black/Black) and nice options (heated manual seats, high-end German sound system, LTW wheels). However, I'd like to have an independent shop do a through pre-purchase inspection on it to ensure that I'm not about to buy a looming disaster. Would any of you Georgians be kind enough to recommend a good indie shop in Atlanta where I could take the car for a solid PPI?? I've searched long and hard over the past two months for a nice car that fits my budget, and I'm certainly willing to shell out $100-200 for a tech to give me the lowdown on my new ride.

Thanks!

My Cars
    98' M3 Coupe

Great shops above atl

Hey man, im from braselton...north of atl, but i know of a few good shops
    up here that do AMAZING work and are VERY reliable

Strictly German- on hwy 53 off of I-85
    7066549103 - Bobby (owner) talk to terry or dave

Autohaus of Gainesville - off atlanta hwy in gainesville
    6784503282 -Mike (owner)

if you do go to either shop
    tell them Chris Duffee sent ya, they might give ya a break on the price

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Thanks to both of you.

BimmerDawg, any preference towards either Auto Europe, Bavarian Imports or RWL?? The car and its owner are in the city of Atlanta and I'd like to minimize the drive and the hassle.
    Last edited by JP89e24; 01-05-2010 at 03:48 PM.

My Cars
    lots
    If they are down in the city RWL is the place for you. See Brendan

If they are on the northside of town the local forum sponsor is
    known to do a ppi or two.

Harrison Motorsports

Racing To Perfection - BMW and Mini Service and Performance
    Phone: 678-879-1200
    www.HarrisonMotorsports.com

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Quote Originally Posted by JP89e24 View Post
    Thanks to both of you.

BimmerDawg, any preference towards either Auto Europe, Bavarian Imports or RWL?? The car and its owner are in the city of Atlanta and I'd like to minimize the drive and the hassle.
    NP. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by CDM5GO View Post
    If they are on the northside of town the local forum sponsor is
    known to do a ppi or two.
    This guy. I give him hell quite often for not tooting his own horn and he kind of did here, so go see David.
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    91 M3, 95 M3, 03 ZHP....
    Atlanta is very sectional, north, south, east, west, midtown.... find out where the m3 is and look at the top of the georgia section, there is a locked thread on indy shops you can read about what they do and what part of Atlanta each shop is in. Of course most of us here will take your m3 and thrash it around for you on your gas.
    Tim
    CCA#36497
    2003 ZHP 6 spd
    95 M3 BuzznM3
    92 S14ic M-technic
    91 M3 classic

My Cars
    e28 535i, e30 M3
    If the car is on the east side of the city or in one of the outlying cities in the metro area (Decatur, Tucker, Avondale, Stone Mountain, Snellville, etc.), I'd suggest Franz Blam Racing.

If it's downtown, RWL. Northside, Harrison Motorsports.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Definitely Brendan @ RWL if you are downtown!

My Cars
    BMW
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also considering a car that's in Atlanta. So which shop is best for a PPI regardless of distance, and do dealerships have any advantages because of their equipment? I figure if I'm going to take a few days off work to fly 1000 miles to see the car, asking the seller to drive a few extra miles to the best shop shouldn't be too much to ask. Thanks!

My Cars
    e28 535i, e30 M3
    FFWD: Although you contend that distance isn't an issue, "Atlanta" is a really spread out place that usually consists of other, outlying cities that are grouped into the Metro area. This is why you see most of the posters above (including myself) recommending cars based on their location. In order to answer your question best, let us know what iteration and model (ie. e36 M3, e24 633csi, e3 3.0csi, etc.) you're considering and what zip code the car is in. From there we can help you best. Otherwise, choose from the shops listed above, call two or three of them, and make a decision based on your gut feeling.

Good luck!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4
    Another recommendation for Brendan at RWL!

My Cars
    1989 325is
    a lot of independent shops have the same scan tools as the dealer just call them and ask

My Cars
    E39
    I recommend giving Alan a call at German Car Repair.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1290890

My Cars
    '04 T4R '13 328i '14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by s car View Post
    I recommend giving Alan a call at German Car Repair.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1290890
    +1

And Harrison Motorsports.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3
    Also eurowerks in sandy springs is a good shop as well... where I had my PPI done.

My Cars
    BMW
    I'm considering an E46 M3 SMG. The owner travels regularly out of state, so that's another reason why I said distance is not a factor. I just want the car inspected by the best - I'd like someone who has experience with this model and transmission that can spot potential issues that someone else might not. Not someone who just relies on the scan tools to tell them it's "OK". I'm starting to lean towards Harrison based on my gut, but my gut has been disastrously wrong in the past. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MSHii View Post
    FFWD: Although you contend that distance isn't an issue, "Atlanta" is a really spread out place that usually consists of other, outlying cities that are grouped into the Metro area. This is why you see most of the posters above (including myself) recommending cars based on their location. In order to answer your question best, let us know what iteration and model (ie. e36 M3, e24 633csi, e3 3.0csi, etc.) you're considering and what zip code the car is in. From there we can help you best. Otherwise, choose from the shops listed above, call two or three of them, and make a decision based on your gut feeling.

Good luck!