Thread: Any DIY for Wiper Motor Replacemenmt?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Any DIY for Wiper Motor Replacemenmt?

Happy New Year! Hey guys. There is a link for a DIY for the windshield wiper motor replacement in the quick links, but its very general.
    Does anyone have a good link to a DIY for pulling out the windshield wiper motor? I heard cleaning the contacts usually helps I'm having wiper issues), but I have no idea where it is or anything like that.
    Thanks a million.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K

My Cars
    535ix/540it/325/mini
    Pulling the wiper motor is straight forward.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/641283/
    '01 540it, built 6/01
    '08 535xit, built 2/08
    '10 535xi, built 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Also, use realoem.com to help you:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...47&hg=61&fg=45

My Cars
    too many
    Apologies for bringing this back from the dead, but I hit on this thread when searching for an E39 wiper motor DIY and it leaves alot to be desired IMHO. Several dead links and missing pics, plus some incomplete or plain bad info. I did plenty of research, and did not find any good DIY for this job. I was able to R&R my wiper motor today on my 03 530i without removing or loosening the linkage, the black plastic cowl cover OR either of the wiper arms.

I'm not going to list a step by step how-to, but I did want to document how the wiper motor could be replaced without removing a bunch of stuff.

First off, remove the driver's side (USA) cabin filter box from under the hood, then remove the black plastic trim panel that tucks behind the brake booster and in front of the wiper motor (1ea 10mm screw then pull piece up and out). Now remove the 2 plastic phillips-head screws that hold the plastic cowl panel to the cowl that are directly to the right of the driver's side wiper arm, this is just to allow you to flex the plastic cowl panel up a little for extra room to fish the motor out.

Now remove the 13mm nut from the spindle of the wiper motor, I used a gearwrench ratcheting wrench, there's not much room, but it can be done. Pry the flat wiper linkage arm off of the motor spindle, be sure to note how it's oriented for when it comes time to put it back. Now take the 3 10mm head bolts loose that hold the wiper motor to the mounting plate on the wiper linkage, again I used a 10mm gearwrench ratcheting wrench, space is tight but can be done. If you haven't unplugged the electrical connector, now is the time to do that.

The wiper motor should now be loose, but it's sort of trapped by the linkage. I used a small pry bar and very lightly pried up on the mounting plate area of the linkage, while wiggling the motor out of it's space, and it came out pretty easily. You do not have to pry much, and do not pry so hard that you bend anything.

Installation is reverse of removal, try not to drop any fasteners down into the black hole below the brake booster.

Honestly this method took me maybe 45 minutes, including taking pics and a couple of water breaks. WAY easier than removing both wiper arms, the plastic cowl, etc, etc.

Pics:

This is what it looks like after the 13mm nut is removed from the motor spindle:

Wiper motor unbolted from linkage, and almost out!

Wiper motor OUT!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
    Apologies for bringing this back from the dead, but I hit on this thread when searching for an E39 wiper motor DIY and it leaves alot to be desired IMHO. Several dead links and missing pics, plus some incomplete or plain bad info. I did plenty of research, and did not find any good DIY for this job. I was able to R&R my wiper motor today on my 03 530i without removing or loosening the linkage, the black plastic cowl cover OR either of the wiper arms. I'm not going to list a step by step how-to, but I did want to document how the wiper motor could be replaced without removing a bunch of stuff. First off, remove the driver's side (USA) cabin filter box from under the hood, then remove the black plastic trim panel that tucks behind the brake booster and in front of the wiper motor (1ea 10mm screw then pull piece up and out). Now remove the 2 plastic phillips-head screws that hold the plastic cowl panel to the cowl that are directly to the right of the driver's side wiper arm, this is just to allow you to flex the plastic cowl panel up a little for extra room to fish the motor out. Now remove the 13mm nut from the spindle of the wiper motor, I used a gearwrench ratcheting wrench, there's not much room, but it can be done. Pry the flat wiper linkage arm off of the motor spindle, be sure to note how it's oriented for when it comes time to put it back. Now take the 3 10mm head bolts loose that hold the wiper motor to the mounting plate on the wiper linkage, again I used a 10mm gearwrench ratcheting wrench, space is tight but can be done. If you haven't unplugged the electrical connector, now is the time to do that. The wiper motor should now be loose, but it's sort of trapped by the linkage. I used a small pry bar and very lightly pried up on the mounting plate area of the linkage, while wiggling the motor out of it's space, and it came out pretty easily. You do not have to pry much, and do not pry so hard that you bend anything. Installation is reverse of removal, try not to drop any fasteners down into the black hole below the brake booster. Honestly this method took me maybe 45 minutes, including taking pics and a couple of water breaks. WAY easier than removing both wiper arms, the plastic cowl, etc, etc. Pics: This is what it looks like after the 13mm nut is removed from the motor spindle: Wiper motor unbolted from linkage, and almost out! Wiper motor OUT!
    Great to know. Thanks!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    e34 m50b20 '95 NV
    sorry for digging the topic out, the @up method works only with bmw that has electric throttle, just tried to dig my motor out, didnt happend, almost broke the rubber ring covering the throttle cable and made more mess :/

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528IA

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by shiremux View Post
    sorry for digging the topic out, the @up method works only with bmw that has electric throttle, just tried to dig my motor out, didnt happend, almost broke the rubber ring covering the throttle cable and made more mess :/
    Yup, the throttle cable would get in the way.

Zombie thread effect.

I got an 03, so eThrottle should make this easier. But as asked, has anyone else tried this method w/ success?
    I have the 13mm nut off and the 2 front 10mm bolts loose. But am hesitant to crank on the linkage to get it off the motor shaft.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein