Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-M E39 -> OS GIKEN LSD upgrade

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    I do want!
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by frgeoff View Post
    price is about 1700 bolts up to stock axles, KILLER performance, no other diff like it
    So where do you buy your OS Giken LSD??? i what shop

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Very nice write up. Something that ill be looking forward to in the near future.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    So where do you buy your OS Giken LSD??? i what shop

http://www.osgiken.net/dealers.html

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    if anyone is interested PM me and ill put you in touch with the man at OS
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I cant say if you would appreciate it as much as me... if you know how to drive the car the improvement is dramatic and really lets the e39 explore its potential. LSD is really the only major chassis difference from the M5 to the non-m's.. and with an os giken in place your car is basically an underpowered m5 but with small brakes and a steering rack
    Thanks for your input!
    I am certainly not a superb driver, but I do like to have fun...

I plan on upgrading the brakes very soon too.
    However, my power plant is less than average...

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    Thanks Martin, but in any of this dealers I can buy this differential online, and others dealer don't seal the OS Giken differential.... but thanks anyway....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    98 540i6
    2 seconds on google w/ the terms "os-giken e39"

http://www.staticxmotorsports.com/os...202-halsd.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Thanks for your input!
    I am certainly not a superb driver, but I do like to have fun...

I plan on upgrading the brakes very soon too.
    However, my power plant is less than average...

Thanks!
    Jason

you can't call yourself a suspension guy without understanding how crucial a proper LSD is to handling. A suspension should be designed in conjunction with an LSD - you can't separate them when you think about it. Consider in-turn power application as a result of the LSD and designing a suspension to properly distribute loads generated by the aforementioned.
    Last edited by mattmartindrift; 01-05-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    subscribe
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    '90zr-1,'95 M5,'04z06,i3

Gear Ratio?

So, from your lack of discussion on the subject, I am assuming that this does not affect the final drive ratio of the differential. Is that correct?

I have a 2.81:1 pumpkin lying on the floor of my garage. Anyone know of a service to swap the guts out with the OS Giken LSD and a set of either 3.15:1 or 2.93:1 gears?

Thanks,

-Burt

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by thxalot View Post
    So, from your lack of discussion on the subject, I am assuming that this does not affect the final drive ratio of the differential. Is that correct?

I have a 2.81:1 pumpkin lying on the floor of my garage. Anyone know of a service to swap the guts out with the OS Giken LSD and a set of either 3.15:1 or 2.93:1 gears?

Thanks,

-Burt
    yes, the diff is literally just the power-transfer component, the stock ring gear unbolts from the stock differential and bolts to the new unit.

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    final drive does not change... but you really need to use the larger ratios for the LSD to fit perfectly.

i just drove from NJ to AZ, at a very brisk pace. I put the diff to work on black ice in tennesee (at around 85mph) and then on the crazy arizona desert roads from payson to phoenix if anyone knows that route. this diff is seriously incredible, completely transmormed my E39
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    '90zr-1,'95 M5,'04z06,i3
    So it sounds like I'd have to put the 2.81 on my wagon, while I sent out the 3.15 for the LSD swap. That is doable. Back to the original question.

Does anyone know of a shop or service where I could send my diff to have it converted to the LSD described in this thread?

Thanks!

-Burt

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    burt - i could do it for you, geoff@full-race.com is my email if youd like to discuss
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    95 M3
    Awesome write up Geoff! This will be my next mod for sure, when I get the funds together.

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    thanks for the props, you wont be disappointed!! every day i drive my bimmer im grinning from ear to ear.

my day job is keeping me busy - getting my Race car ready for the 2010 Modified Magazine tuner shootout check out this thread for pics if youre bored http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=29759366

www.full-race.com

My Cars
    e12, e30, e39, X3
    Resurrection. Saw an ad for OS Giken lsd's and it listed E39 which led me to their site and now to this thread. Damn, no 540i listed though! This thread wasn't totally conclusive on the fitment though (about using the M5 version), is it not possible at all or just not cost effective because so much needs to be switched out? Seems odd to me that the car in the E39 range that really needs an LSD the most (in my opinion) is the 540i and they don't offer one!

After driving in my 2nd winter with the E39 540i, after two E34's with limited slip diffs, it is seriously pissing me off trying to power out of any corners.

My Cars
    540i 6spd (11/98)
    Very interesting mod and great write up. I would love to do this but $1700 for a LSD in a $10k car makes me pause. I'll probably eventually do it.

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by flipwils11 View Post
    This thread wasn't totally conclusive on the fitment though (about using the M5 version), is it not possible at all or just not cost effective because so much needs to be switched out? Seems odd to me that the car in the E39 range that really needs an LSD the most (in my opinion) is the 540i and they don't offer one! After driving in my 2nd winter with the E39 540i, after two E34's with limited slip diffs, it is seriously pissing me off trying to power out of any corners.
    ill find out the answer to that shortly for you, it was raining here in Phoenix this weekend and i was sliding my e39 around sooo much fun with this diff.

i may end up machining some aluminum solid subframe bushings and reinforce the diff mount so i can get a little more into it, i could feel the rear subframe squirming a little and my car is barely making any power right now.

Quote Originally Posted by E39 6spd View Post
    Very interesting mod and great write up. I would love to do this but $1700 for a LSD in a $10k car makes me pause. I'll probably eventually do it.
    the diff is worth every penny. The fact that you can pick these cars up for 10k is a bargain, ive owned so many cars in the past 10 years ive lost count .. and the E39 is by far my favorite sedan. Modding it just makes it better and better
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    from OS Giken - If you want to be sure and you have an OEM diff from that chassis you can measure, then you can compare it to this sheet to determine compatibility.(BMW-L1 type attached; this is what fits to E39 M5 and E46 M3. part# BM237-HA)

email attachment showing BMW L1 type dimensions, if someone can measure their 540i diff i can tell you for sure

does anyone know if the E46 M3 diff is the same center as the 540i?
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i

does anyone know if the E46 M3 diff is the same center as the 540i?
    no they are not the same.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2003 525i, 2007 F150
    After owning several cars and trucks with LSD's, I know the 525i I'm picking up tomorrow is going to piss me off sometimes, not having it. It's one of those things, not just on the track, but in everyday driving, that you miss a lot when you get into something with out it.

This will be my first go-around with a BMW product, and so far I have to say the prices on stuff like this have not been as pricey as the stereotypes/assumptions people make....except for this. $1700? Wow...seems like a lot of money for an LSD. Then again the last one I bought and installed myself was an Auburn for my '64 Chevelle. It was about $400.00. Of course, that was over 14 years ago.

Excellent write-up with great pictures. I'll have to keep this in mind.

My Cars
    R14, S14, E39
    i just tested my race car out yesterday for a big race coming up this weekend. again i can not stress how important a diff like this is!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbVCuz94QY[/ame]
    www.full-race.com

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Geoff - great write up! You did not check the backlash on the R&P after switching the diff, I have not looked at the shop manual yet but I presume you found this was not required?

I would really, really like to do this to my 540i M-Sport (with the lower ratio rear). I miss having a limited slip just about every day. This is one way to reduce the intrusiveness of the traction control I suspect

Good luck with the racecar!

Chris

My Cars
    2003 525i, 2007 F150
    Geoff - great write up! You did not check the backlash on the R&P after switching the diff, I have not looked at the shop manual yet but I presume you found this was not required?
    I was wondering the same. Just a couple of thousandths off and it's major gear whine time. I assumed it was checked and by the luck of the draw it was perfect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast