Thread: Hardtop Defrost Connection Quetion..I did research prior to asking

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

Hardtop Defrost Connection Quetion..I did research prior to asking

I would appreciate some help. When I originally installed my hardtop, I blew off connecting the defrost switch (just too much going on at the time). So today, I went out to complete the connection and ran into a wall. Looked on the forums for an answer. Found some good info, but none of fit together for my situation.

I have a August 1996 production 1.9 L. I went under the emergency brake console to find my connection that goes to the switch and went under the driver's side carpet behind the seat to find the connection to the hardtop defroster.

After research, it appears I got the newer switch and because of my production date, I need to order the older switch. However, if you look at this photo, is this the connection I use that runs under the console? It was the only one I found.

Also, in this photo, this is the connection I found behind the driver's seat. However, it doesn't fit either this end or this end of the connection that attaches to the hardtop.

Any suggestions?

Found some additional information. If my car is an 08/1996 production, is the defrost switch pre-wired or do I have to wire it myself? Thanks.

THe Hankster
    Last edited by hankster1988; 01-02-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added comment

My Cars
    96 1.9L Z3; 72 8.2L
    Let me offer up front that I too couldn't find the connection in the 'normal' places and gave up.
    However, I was checking for a shorted wire in the trunk and found long brown wire with a connector strapped to the bundle under the tool tray. It was separate and looked long enough to stretch to the passenger compartment. This may be the wire/connector we both need - I didn't have the older style switch I needed so I just bolted everything back up.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

Thanks AlabamaZ3

Thanks for posting......hopefully someone will have "found" the right connection and can share what they found!

The Hankster

Confirmed the wire under my center console is indeed what I need to plug in the pre 4/99 switch defroster switch. Could someone show me what the connection looks like that plugs into the hardtop? I found a two pin but it does not fit either ends of the harness that came with the hardtop kit. Thanks.
    Last edited by hankster1988; 01-02-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    Hankster

A few of us in the UK had "fun" doing this recently.

Yours is an early model so may be different again.

We had a mixture of cars that were pre wired / were not as you can see in this thread.

One thing is for certain in that the "switch" and connectors definately changed post 04/99 production (even though RealOEM shows same switch). So if you have a later switch it will not fit the correct wiring loom connector.

Here is the link

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...emister+switch

On my 2001 car the pre wired loom was "hidden" tucked away under foam under the rear compartment tray.

Hope this helps

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

Thanks Jonttt

Jonttt, this helps confirm the one thing I had picked up last night. I will have to add the pins to my harness that plugs into the hardtop. I think I have found the harness behind the driver's seat. I assume there is only one free unused harness back there, so I am gambling it is the right one.

This afternoon, I plan on crawling in there and splicing the new connector in and then ordering the pre-April 99 defroster switch. We will see how this goes.

Thanks for posting. The thread you pointed to was helpful.

The Hankster

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    You need the pre-99 switch. It will match the harness you posted in your original post. Did you check this thread?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1130773

That brown power line you're showing looks different from mine (4/97 build), but if there are three wires under the insulation, you should be able to make the splice. Also do you have the red relay in your fusebox?

Last edited by KBH22102; 01-03-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

To KBH22102

Thanks KBH22102. The harness I found has only two wires. Yet, when I read the hardtop installation guide, it seems to indicate that there are only two wires..........the plot thickens by the minute.

The Hankster

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Hmmm. Once you get the pre-99 switch, turn it on with a voltometer on the brown line you picutred and see what kind of output you get. It's likely the third line in my car was just a ground. Keep us posted
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9L

Kbh

Thanks KBH. Things are getting clearer. Plan on ordering the older switch and relay if needed (haven't looked to see if I need it yet). Good idea to test power once the switch is in. I just have to think the two wire connector is for the defroster......

The Hankster

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hankster1988 View Post
    ...However, if you look at this photo, is this the connection I use that runs under the console? It was the only one I found.

Hank, that giant connector is the one you need, you just need the proper switch.

Al.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black