Thread: SI Board Replacement

My Cars
    1986 635CSI

SI Board Replacement

Has anyone purchased a replacement SI Board from the sellers on Ebay. There are predominately two options, a rebuilt board with new Ni-Cad batteries out of TN (suppose to have a 3 year warranty). Then there is another option for a battery-less board out of FL. Both are about $100.

Of course there is a third guy selling a battery-less option for $300, not sure why he thinks he can get a premium. Might as well buy from a dealer.

My Cars
    1983 e24
    I had the dealer do my SI board replacement...it was expensive but it's worked flawlessly for many years...and the acid can eat more than the SI board itself (as in my case) and simply replacing that board without investigation of your own issue can lead to having to redo the job.

Boards, as you say are available ebay and elsewhere.

Cheers!

Ran

My Cars
    1986 BMW 635csi
    I've bought an SI board through Ebay a few months ago and it worked just fine. The question is, do you just need a board or are you looking to also fix the odometer, speedometer or anything else.? If so I would look on Ebay for a complete set up.

My problem was I needed a new SI board but I also needed to replace the gears in the odometer and was looking for new knobs on the front of the housing. I bought the SI Board and everything worked fine. I then began the process of looking for the gears and gauges. Then I found a complete set up with housing, clear plastic front and new odometer and gears that would have been cheaper than doing all the work myself. I'm in the middle of swapping out the old set-up with the new one in the next week. When that's done you are more than welcome to the leftover SI board (purchased a few months ago / completely refurbished) and anything else you may need. Let me know.

-Brian

My Cars
    1986 635CSI
    Brian,

Thanks, may take you up on that. Actually, everything else works fine (tach, speedo, even fuel) only my temp guage is inoperable, which I've traced back to the board.

Regards,

Will

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325iX
    I bought the battery-less option, works great, solid quality... no issues...

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I also bought the battery-less one from ebay and it works great too.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    85' 635
    Ok, maybe I'm the only moron who puchased the rebuilt SI board with batteries. The replacement was a sinch but there is an extra wire that my orininal board didn't have and it still isn't working. CW6er posted a picture of it but I have no idea where the black wire goes as my orininal 85' board didn't have it. Any idead anyone?
    Regards,

Dwight
    85 635CSi (the Bomber), 87 DINAN /// M6 (SOLD)

My Cars
    E24 / MK1 / VZ / L322
    i bought a battery-less one off ebay for mine too and its been working flawlessly for over two years now. by now its had its full cycle and the INSPECTION and OIL SERVICE work properly as they should as well.

2004 Monaro CV8
    2006 Range Rover Supercharged
    1984 BMW 633CSi
    1981 Scirocco S

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Here is a thread where they mention the black wire, don't forget the second page:
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1883&

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    sorry for bumping a 4 year old thread, but has anyone bought the battery-less board for an 89 635csi? On ebay it says they are only for cars up to 87.

My Cars
    1985 635CSi
    Try some parts distributors, look at programma remanned boards. Id suggect partsgeek.com first but if you shop around you will find better prices.

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    I Looked at the programa ones on ebay and they say that they only work on cars up to 87. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the SI boards after 87? I don't want to buy one of the programa ones and find out I wasted 200$

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960
    Quote Originally Posted by kylefav21 View Post
    sorry for bumping a 4 year old thread, but has anyone bought the battery-less board for an 89 635csi? On ebay it says they are only for cars up to 87.
    Yes, the inst, cluster did change for the '88/'89, maybe even some '87's. Board completely different. I modified a couple by removing the batteries, solder in leads for a remote battery holder and used AA rechargeable batteries. Never had to replace batteries, but if you do there is no disassembly.

My Cars
    86 635CSi
    I purchased a rebuilt one off ebay about a year ago (w/batteries). Worked great in my 86, no issues.
    FlickR

Resident naval gazing q-tip wielding concours pu....

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
    Yes, the inst, cluster did change for the '88/'89, maybe even some '87's. Board completely different. I modified a couple by removing the batteries, solder in leads for a remote battery holder and used AA rechargeable batteries. Never had to replace batteries, but if you do there is no disassembly.
    Thank you! this is just what i'm looking for. Glad I didn't buy the replacement board!

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960
    Make sure that the board is clean. Leaking batteries left long enough start to corrode components making the board unusable. The board should be spotless and only the batteries the bad part.