Thread: Fuel Pump Check valve install: Help?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT

Fuel Pump Check valve install: Help?

1978 323i

Ok, in an attempt to solve my warm-start issues (already did the pressure regulator O-rings), I ordered the fuel pump check valve...

When going to install it, it seems that I don't have a check valve at all?

see pics:

This is how it came apart.....no check valve, just a hollow bolt

Check valve fits, threads in, but this definitely doesn't look like it's gonna work out...I could pretty much hook up this check valve where the hollow bolt was, but then the other threaded end is just hangin' out there...

Item 29 is the check valve, part # 16121154340.
    RealOEM.com claims it's the same part number as for a 1978 320i, so I ordered the Bosch equivalent from partsgeek.com (they don't list 323i, so i used 320i)

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/197...eck_valve.html

So, there must be something I'm missing here.....

Any thoughts? Do I somehow have the wrong check valve?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Looks like the early and late cars must have different valves, I've never seen anything similar to item #29. The new part you have is for a later car. You are trying to install it backwards, the short end goes in the pump, then the line goes on with an acorn type nut. Those pumps have a shorter output fitting though.

Look inside the output and see if part #29 is in there. You probably need to find one of those.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I always thought our check valves were built into the external pump?
    Tbd

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    hmmmm.....yup, looks like the part I have is for newer cars. When i look on realoem, it does show an acorn nut for a 1979 323i, which would mate up just fine to the valve I have.

I'll check again, but when i looked inside the output, it's just threaded in there....doesn't look there are any separate parts able to be removed....Maybe someone removed the check valve way back in the day for some reason...

So, my options are to try to find an appropriate non-return valve (which, so far, looks like it's going to take weeks to get it...) OR, I can go to a hardware store and find an acorn nut to throw on there.......Think i'll give that a shot and see if it works!

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    FWIW:
    Here's pics of the pump off my '82 320i

Last edited by pommeree; 12-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Eric P.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    Thanks for the pics ^

I wonder why my output section/tube is so much longer than yours? (there's a joke in there somewhere....)

Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I always thought our check valves were built into the external pump?
    I'm going to inspect that output area more closely, see if I see anything inside that I missed last time I looked

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find a proper acorn nut to fit on there, I'll let you guys know if that fits with no leaks or anything weird and if it does help my warm-start issue.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    your pump outlet is longer because the earlier pumps have the check valve built into the pump. You CAN still install a late model check valve in an early model pump, you'll just have two valves inline. Good luck finding that acorn nut.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    The nut is metric and very unusual, there's no way in heck you'll find one at a hardware store. You can order it from the dealership for a buck or two though.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mkoop View Post
    hmmmm.....yup, looks like the part I have is for newer cars. When i look on realoem, it does show an acorn nut for a 1979 323i, which would mate up just fine to the valve I have.

I'll check again, but when i looked inside the output, it's just threaded in there....doesn't look there are any separate parts able to be removed....Maybe someone removed the check valve way back in the day for some reason...

So, my options are to try to find an appropriate non-return valve (which, so far, looks like it's going to take weeks to get it...) OR, I can go to a hardware store and find an acorn nut to throw on there.......Think i'll give that a shot and see if it works!
    I am almost positive that your check valve is built into the outlet of the pump, and that check valve is "non-serviceable", however probably removable (which I would not attempt). There is a spring retained about 1" down into the threads, with a ball beyond the spring. You can do a simple suction test with the pump removed, and cleaned, to test the valve, which I am almost positive is fine. That's the beauty of early model single pumps .

And yes, like jrcook mentioned - the outlet is longer to acomodate the built-in check valve on the early models.
    Last edited by epmedia; 12-30-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    hmmm...pelican parts will take forever to get the part, i'll try the dealer and see when they can get one in.

might try snaggin' one online somewhere, see if it works:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Wescot...2157311&sr=1-6

pricey though

Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I am almost positive that your check valve is built into the outlet of the pump, and that check valve is "non-serviceable", however probably removable (which I would not attempt). There is a spring retained about 1" down into the threads, with a ball beyond the spring. You can do a simple suction test with the pump removed, and cleaned, to test the valve, which I am almost positive is fine. That's the beauty of early model single pumps .

And yes, like jrcook mentioned - the outlet is longer to acomodate the built-in check valve on the early models.
    lol I really wanted this cheap little check valve to solve my warm-start issue, don't make me go on to more expensive options ! haha
    Last edited by 2000mkoop; 12-30-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mkoop View Post
    lol I really wanted this cheap little check valve to solve my warm-start issue, don't make me go on to more expensive options ! haha
    Test the fuel pump's built-in valve, I bet it's fine (probably). Maybe the accumulator is leaking (hopefully not)? You can test that as well.
    Tbd

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    yeah i'll test the built-in valve, and test the accumulator

Wow, when i saw the list price on realoem/pelican for the accumulator (~$220) it made me a little ill, but then......

found one for $120:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...er=16121120432

then found another one for $67 !
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/197...cumulator.html

So I guess it's not the end of the world even if I do need a new accumulator

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I bet many members here, have old accumulators lying around, even me - not sure how good it is though..
    Tbd

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    good point, i'd definitely pursue that route if they were selling for list price. 67 bucks isn't bad for a new one, I can handle that