Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are m and non m steering racks the same after 1995?

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    Itsablurr :
    Since you have knowledge in this area can you suggest a few places that you know that do a good job on a re-manufactured rack?
    Thanks and I am sure many of us want to know...
    I'm not sure offhand for a re-man source. I'd do a junkyard search and buy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Spoonman View Post
    Personal experience has led me to observe that the 95 rack feels faster… you say this is not so? Why does it feel faster then?
    I couldn't tell you why you think it feels faster. The numbers and specs are what they are.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    Searching...
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    I couldn't tell you why you think it feels faster. The numbers and specs are what they are.
    Fair enough. I'll go back and have another pass on the 95 rack with the data in my head. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
    Suspension Overhaul FAQ

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Spoonman View Post
    Fair enough. I'll go back and have another pass on the 95 rack with the data in my head. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    Perhaps the rack was replaced by a previous owner with one of unknown origin?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post

1995 M3:
    mm/rev on center: 39.0mm
    rack type: progressive
    on-center ratio: 19.8:1
    ratio @ lock: 15.4:1
    mean ratio: 17.6:1
    rack length: 117mm
    turns lock to lock: 3.0

1996+ M3
    mm/rev on center: 45.5mm
    rack type: progressive
    on-center ratio: -
    ratio @ lock: 15.4:1
    mean ratio: 15.6:1
    rack length: 145.6mm
    turns lock to lock: 3.2
    Are you sure the standard E36/96+M3 rack is progressive? On any rack steering system the wheels will turn more per steering revolution the further they are turned just because the steering arm follows an arc and the rack is linear. I am nearly positive the standard E36 rack is linear.

One more thing to add: M3 spindles have a 5mm longer steering arm, so they create a slower steering RATIO, with the same rack vs. non-M spindles
    Last edited by SLR; 06-05-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I think we need some more apples to apples comparisons to really nail down the racks. The majority believe the 95 rack is considered faster than the 96+ racks. They also sell for more. $300 vs. <$200.

Can someone explain what the difference is between a linear rack and progressive rack?

There are a lot of technical jargon and theory without practice or solid proof going on here. I'm not saying Itsablurr is wrong or that the numbes are wrong. It's just hard to say, spindle ratio this and center gear that equals a slow rack. Without some actual controlled variable experiments it's hard to think the 95 rack is slower when it sells for more and FEELS faster. Also it seems the consensus on the racks from fastest to slowest are:

1.9 z3 -> 95 m3 -> 96+ e36

It would just be nice to get a dumbed down mythbusters style explanation of these racks to put this whole thing to rest.

My Cars
    yes
    How about a breakdown of all the different parts used in correlation with the rack to figure out the variables.

How many racks are there for the E36 and what are there specs(facts not speculation)?

How many types of spindles are there and their specs?

Does camber, wheel size and suspension setups effect steering ratio and/or feel?

Are there different types of tie rods and if so do they effect steering geometry?

Are there performance aftermarket racks or racks from other cars that can be used?

What about the whole "speed sensitive power steering" I've heard about on M3's?

Lets get all the facts about racks and get it in a WiKi already instead of having to search the forums for hours.

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by s2rsr View Post
    How many racks are there for the E36 and what are there specs(facts not speculation)?
    THREE - the normal rack, the quick rack and the variable rack (95 M3 only)

How many types of spindles are there and their specs?
    TWO - M3 and non M3. 95 M3 spindles have less camber built-in, but that doesnt affect steering. The normal E36 spindles have a faster steering ratio than the M3 ones because the steering arm on the M3 spindle is longer (about 5mm)

Does camber, wheel size and suspension setups effect steering ratio and/or feel?
    No it doesn't affect ratio. Of course all of those will affect feel. Size, width, camber, caster, scrub-radius and roll center will all have an effect.

Are there different types of tie rods and if so do they effect steering geometry?
    NO and NO

Are there performance aftermarket racks or racks from other cars that can be used?
    Other E36 racks and possibly E46 racks?? Of course there are aftermarket racks for these cars. I'm sure from racing and rally builders in Europe especially.

What about the whole "speed sensitive power steering" I've heard about on M3's?
    No such thing on E36's.
    Last edited by SLR; 01-03-2011 at 12:52 AM.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by PTGM3 View Post
    Are you sure the standard E36/96+M3 rack is progressive? On any rack steering system the wheels will turn more per steering revolution the further they are turned just because the steering arm follows an arc and the rack is linear. I am nearly positive the standard E36 rack is linear.
    Yep, I am positive. All US E36 3-series racks are progressively geared. Well documented by many individuals and rebuilders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I think we need some more apples to apples comparisons to really nail down the racks. The majority believe the 95 rack is considered faster than the 96+ racks. They also sell for more. $300 vs. <$200.
    The apples-to-apples comparison is the mm/rev spec for any interchangeable rack. I wouldn't say the majority consider the '95 rack as faster, as it isn't. Perhaps a few confuse it to be faster based off of how misinformation spreads in an area where the hard numbers are somewhat difficult to come by or filter out from the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Can someone explain what the difference is between a linear rack and progressive rack?
    A linear rack moves at a constant linear rate per 360 deg of revolution of the pinion gear. A progressive rack has the gearing cut such that the linear displacement per 360 deg of pinion rotation is slower on-center.... it has the effect of eliminating straight line twitchiness, while sacrificing initial turn-in liveliness.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Great info in this thread, thanks.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Wow, I just learned a whole lot about 1995 m3.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    E36
    so then...

what racks are in Z3 M's?

(seeing how much info is in this thread...might as well try to add more )

and I swear my old 95 rack seems quicker at center than my nonM E36 (which is equivilant to a 96+ M correct?) Maybe it's due to the body roll/tires...
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 01-03-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    BMWs
    Z3M racks are the same as E36M racks.

Facebook for special NEWS and OFFERS- Motion Motorsport LLC
    Instagram for GIVEAWAYS and CONTESTS- @MotionMotorsport

"By enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Quality components for the street and track."

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionMotorsport View Post
    Z3M racks are the same as E36M racks.

as in 96+ which also is nonM E36's yes?

thanks - just trying to get even more info in this thread
    1995 M3

My Cars
    E36 M3 (South African)
    Sorry to go somewhat off topic. But does anyone have the ZF part number for a Z3 (non M) rack? The local agents here cant find it via the BMW part number.

TIA

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Basically there is a simple rule here:

ALL E36 racks (including Z3 and ti) are the same with only TWO exceptions.

1-1995 M3 is slower (less mm per pinion revolution)

2-Any Z3 besides M models, is faster (more mm per revolution)

My Cars
    87 Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinem3/// View Post
    Thank you so much. I have been searching for ever trying to figure this out. When I enter the part number of my new rack in to realoem.com it does not find anything. I am fairly certain its a non m 92-99 rack. I hope I dont miss my old 95' s shorter ratio. The new racks part number is 7852955227. But in the corner of the manufacture tag it says 0292 on the right side, I am assuming that this is the original build date before it was refurbished do you happen to know? Thanks again for the advice and help.
    Old thread, but worth posting to keep the information in one place. I'm 99.99% confident that the number in the right corner is the build date. I pulled a rack from a 1995 325iA-4 (automatic 4 door) at a Pull-n-Save this weekend ($41 +$3 core charge). The car was built in March of 1995 and the ZF rack has an 0395 code where the OP's was 0292. Pics added for proof!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    I can confirm that not all Z3 racks are 2.7 turns ltl, mine is about 3.2. I also tried a ZHP/330/712 rack today, that was around 3.2, it's a crazy world out there.

My Cars
    99 M3
    K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Raised from the dead again!

'95M here...upgrade to either Z3 (non-M) or any other E36 rack? If I were to buy just the gear/housing would all my '95 rack parts, tie rods, ball joints swap over?

And is there simply a part number or two to look for in the best rack?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It’s really Z3 non-M or E46 purple tag. The former bolts right in; the latter requires minor mods but you are more likely to find a cheap used one in good shape since it is newer. Rebuilt ones run in the $235 and up range. I bought my Z3 rack from Detroit Axle for $235 with no core charge.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    It's E46 yellow tag isn't it? The ZHP rack (712 part #). It's not quite as short as the Z3 rack but still linear and significantly shorter than the stock M3 rack. It bolts right in and takes E36 outers.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...are*-different
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Anyone know if the inner tie rods I have now match up to the non-M Z?

My Cars
    E36
    I used OEM tie rods for my nonM Z rack. There is a catch on the rack not having the locking tabs IIRC...I think I used the bend over lock washer.

It's been years though, hard to remember.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    99 M3

Are m and non m steering racks the same after 1995?

Moving from from standard 4-spoke to slightly smaller diameter Z3/‘99M3 3-Spoke quickens up even the standard E36 rack feel

Last edited by bluptgm3; 02-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Moving from from standard 4-spoke to slightly smaller diameter Z3/‘99M3 3-Spoke quickens up even the standard E36 rack
    Huh?! How does physics work where you live? A smaller diameter wheel will reduce your leverage, making it a little harder to turn the wheel. But it most certainly doesn't change the steering ratio, which is a function of the rack internals.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    99 M3

Are m and non m steering racks the same after 1995?

Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    Huh?! How does physics work where you live? A smaller diameter wheel will reduce your leverage, making it a little harder to turn the wheel. But it most certainly doesn't change the steering ratio, which is a function of the rack internals.
    Right. 180 degrees of wheel rotation is still 180 degrees. With a 3-and-9 hand position, the actual distances traveled (smaller radius) is shorter and arms can cross a bit further without having to ‘shuffle’ steer…and ‘shuffle’ steer happens a bit quicker also due to smaller diameter wheel.

Overall ratio does change, however rack ratio does not change. The net affect is removing the school bus wheel feel. The slight addition to steering force required isn’t really noticed especially once the wheels are rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    There is a catch on the rack not having the locking tabs IIRC...I think I used the bend over lock washer.
    What is the ‘catch’? Does the non-‘M’ rack not ‘feature’ the end notch to accept the inner tie rod locking plate?

The non-‘M’ installation uses a flat sheet inner tie rod locking plate and ‘M’ (at least M3) uses flat sheet with a 1/8th inch horse-shoe ‘stop’ that limits rack sector gear travel.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 02-13-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast