Thread: Turbo kits for e36 318i M44 engine??????

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i

Turbo kits for e36 318i M44 engine??????

I am thinking about turboing my 318i. Does anyone know any turbo kits that are made for my car? I am having trouble finding anything

My Cars
    1999 323ic
    i am all so looking for a turbo kit for my 99 323ic. I found a couple website that sell turbo kit for our cars. But, don't know if they are of any good quality

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    do you have the web sites?

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    Just buy a 6-cylinder. Worlds cheaper for the same power.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    cuz i already have a 4 cyl that i got from my dad and it means alot to me....

plus i want to do somthing that isnt done as often...i want to be different

My Cars
    '05 Elise, '17 GT350
    There was at one time a low-boost (~6 psi, IIRC) kit from Mosselman, but it's long since been discontinued. Another option that is significantly easier to find is a supercharger kit from Downing Atlanta that retails for approximately $3500; they may also be discontinued (Production for the past few years has been dependent on their ability to find new stock of the now-discontinued blower), but it's not too difficult to find used kits for sale. Other than that, you're pretty much SOL, I'm afraid; the M42/M44 doesn't have nearly the aftermarket support that the inline 6's do.
    -Ken

2005 Lotus Elise, Lotus Racing Green
    2017 Shelby GT350, Lightning Blue
    Formerly: 1997 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    You have attachment to the engine itself?

There are no M44 kits from reputable vendors, if there are any at all. If you want to turbo your car you are going to have to do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    yeah thats what i am thinking.. i have a friend that can help me put it on.

the motor i have in my car now has 211,000 on it lol so i was thinking about rebuilding it and maybe boring it out a little bit then throwing a turbo on it. I have found some turbo kits on ebay for like 6 or 7 hundred bucks i was thinkin about doing but i mean that so cheap. i want to do it the right way cuz you only get what you pay for....

what do you guys think about that?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    stay away from ebay turbos. Just read a bit on here about them...you will understand.
    Jimmy
    Technique Tuning Stage 2 on 9:1 built motor(SOLD)
    Boost Addiction Support Group Member
    Official "My Wife is Awesome" Club Member
    Just an idiot with a wrench...

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by bavauto318 View Post
    cuz i already have a 4 cyl that i got from my dad and it means alot to me....
    Why does it mean so much?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    I guess it really doesnt. I was just talking to one of my friends and we thouhgt that if i rebuild my motor and bore it out and turbo it that it will be as fast as i want it and it would be cheaper in the end then to buy a whole new engine.

My original plan was to put a m3 engine into my car....so idk i was just trying to figure out exactly what i want to do and get some ideas from you guys

My Cars
    72 '02, 75 '02 Turbo

Careful

I think Metric Mechanic has M42/44 turbo motors. Just accessing a manifold and turbo is not the deal. I had a 2002 Turbo motor built by Ray Korman and it was an amazingly involved project to get right. Don't know if you have read it but I'd strongly recommend Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". It is usually in B&N or Borders.

If you want to do this, why not try to find another motor to work on while you continue to drive your car.

I am thrilled with the performance of my M10 turbo motor, but based upon what I learned, I can appreciate the comment on the 6cyl swap.

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    These numbers are very rough estimates, but good luck building a system that makes as much power for as little money with anywhere near the reliability of a stock engine.

M50TU + S50 Cams - 190whp - $1000
    M52 + S52 Cams - 200whp - $1500
    S50/S52 - 210whp - $2500

My Cars
    '09 135i
    I guess it really doesnt. I was just talking to one of my friends and we thouhgt that if i rebuild my motor and bore it out and turbo it that it will be as fast as i want it and it would be cheaper in the end then to buy a whole new engine.

My original plan was to put a m3 engine into my car....so idk i was just trying to figure out exactly what i want to do and get some ideas from you guys
    well first of all you might want to read a little more on the forum because boring out an m44 with a turbo would be a lot more costly than putting an s50/52 in. plus it would be less power than the s52 when its all said and done. A common solution seems to be to buy an m50 and put a reliable turbo kit on it. you could get 280-300whp easy with this set up.

Quote Originally Posted by n24tg View Post
    These numbers are very rough estimates, but good luck building a system that makes as much power for as little money with anywhere near the reliability of a stock engine.

M50TU + S50 Cams - 190whp - $1000
    M52 + S52 Cams - 200whp - $1500
    S50/S52 - 210whp - $2500
    I would think to make 200whp on an m52 you would also need an m50 mani.

it sounds like you are having a hard time deciding what to do. First the engine means a lot to you because it's from your dad, but then all of a sudden you "guess" it really doesn't matter . It sounds to me that unless you are mechanic you would probably be better off voiding the engine swap and sell your car now and buy an e36 m3.
    Last edited by cky751; 12-26-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    i w ould do that becuse that is definitly the easiest ans simplest thing to do, but i do really want to make the car i have now fast becuase like i said it is my first car and it was my dads. I also have a truck to get around in so i am not worried about not being able to drive my car. Also i love working on my car and i think this will be a nice project to get into....

I am starting to lean on the idea of buying a 6 cyl and goin from there thou..

But i am not rushing into my decision and i have a lot of time and research i want to do still.

Thanks

My Cars
    ofc
    Dear bavauto318, my 318 m44 has been supercharged at 7psi, and then turbocharged at the same boost. Now is totally stock

If you have the money and another car in case this turboed will give you problems (take in account everything, even blowing the engine will be easy if you don't know what are you doing with turbo), so you can turbo it "as experience"/to learn. But just don't expect too much from it, especially at low boost without spending big $$$.

On the other side there is the 6cyl swap... in one weekend you will have the power you want, a greater sound and you'll be problem free. No custom parts to test, no limits to daily driving capability. If done right you'll have the well know BMW reliability.
    Then as other says you'll be at 200whp with some simple bolt-on mods.

Ah, after the engine swap, next years you could turbo the 6cyl and make BIG power.

Do the swap, and take these next years to learn about turbos instead of making damages, there are good books to read before touching a turbo with hands!

greetings!
    Last edited by nuvola rossa; 12-28-2009 at 02:04 AM.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    I am thinking about turboing my 318i. Does anyone know any turbo kits that are made for my car? I am having trouble finding anything
    Read here...

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11797

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27092

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27794

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    yeah wow lol that really sold me about doing the swap. But if i got a m3 motor will i have to switch clusters and all that good stuff?

and what would be the best m3 motor to put into my 1996 318i?

My Cars
    93 325iS
    I assume that yes, you will need a 6cylinder cluster. I'd get an S52 if you need OBD2 compliance...

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    yeah that is what i was thinking. now i just need to save up some money to do the swap.

where is a good place to find a used s52 in good condition with low miles

My Cars
    1994 Bmw e36 318i sedan
    Looking to do a six cylinder swap in my m40 e36... if u guys have any known person selling and m50 325 engine with transmission and ecu pls let me know

My Cars
    E36
    Turbo kit choices are slim to none for m44. Swap in an old m52, turbo it, 400+whp all day.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Engine swap isn't the expensive part of a turbo build so just get a 6 cylinder.

That or get good at TIG welding and build your own manifold and kit from scratch.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    97’ 318is
    yeah thats what i am thinking.. i have a friend that can help me put it on.

the motor i have in my car now has 211,000 on it lol so i was thinking about rebuilding it and maybe boring it out a little bit then throwing a turbo on it. I have found some turbo kits on ebay for like 6 or 7 hundred bucks i was thinkin about doing but i mean that so cheap. i want to do it the right way cuz you only get what you pay for....

what do you guys think about that?
    Look up bds_performance on instagram and send him a DM. He makes custom heads and he can ship you parts for the m44/ m42. A cost for 300+ horsepower is going to be a little over 4k usd. Its a great deal cheaper than an E36 m3 still and makes more power and is lighter. And if you want to make more go ahead and get a garrett t25 or t28 and run 9lbs of boost. And go wild with it. Alot of m44 enthusiasts go to bds to get advice because of his built m44 318is.