Thread: Is the new E60 545i and forthcoming M5 to high in price?

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper

Is the new E60 545i and forthcoming M5 to high in price?

Just curious to see what people thought.

a) would you take a new 545i or an E39 M5. I was pricing one out and it came to about $63K-65K optioned out for the 545i. A new M5 (some are still on the lots) is around the $68K mark.

b) The new E60 M5 is rumored to be around the $85K mark. Probably, some dealers will mark it up over $90K depending on sales tax, guzzler tax, etc. Is this to high of a price?

It seems it will NOT be faster than an E55 AMG (W211) in pure 1320' performance; but, will be close, maybe .2-.3 seconds off. BMW gives you handling AND power though.

Anyone have an idea of how much an RS6 costs?

BMW's are priced higher; but, typically a bit lower than Merc. Now, it seems that BMW's and Mercs are going to be near the same price. Damn -- I want to do something before interest rates get out of hand again ... grrr ... so much speculation and choices ...

Although, SMG III w/7 speeds would be FUN!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, 1991 300zx 2+2, 1995 Explorer XLT
    Well I think that they are priced fine. When everyone is saying all that abuot it being overpriced, I dont think they realize the beautiful quality and the fact that its a BMW. Just cuz it has less HP then an accord, doesnt mean that its slower, just a HIGHER quality engine. Also, Even tho the M5 will be a bit slower then the e55 amg, everyone forgets, that the m5 is N/A where the amg is supercharged. When your getting as much power as BMW puts out in the m5 theres no way in hell you should EVER consider it over priced.

The RS6 is $82,700 msrp. I dont think that I would buy an Audi for that much money. With the other options of a Bimmer, or a Benz, its just not worth it to me. The RS6 is a Turbo motor puting out 450hp@5700, and 415ft/lb@1900.

I would still take the m5 over the other 2 only because your getting the pure power of the engine with no FI, and cuz BMW has always been my favorite car.
    -Alex

2001 BMW 540i

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I would agree that given the benchmark audi and mercedes have set for cars like the M5, the existing M5 seems priced low

however, the more generic 545i, etc...seems over priced.

I would definitely be more inclined to pick up a E39 M5 first

Jeff
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I would go with the M5. It is my realistic dream car though, so I may be biased.

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes

My Cars
    tank
    BMWs are always overpriced. I would really have to see in person what I am getting for the money. If it is really overpriced, the sales figure would go down b/c people wouldn't buy an car that doesn't add value.
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    NSX, Suburban, R1, and maybe M3
    I say go for the 04 M5 over the 04 545. Current M5 is classy!!!

If we are talking 04 vs the yet to be released 05 M5.... I'd say 05 with the V10 and 500 plus hp!!! Can you say objects in mirrors are losing! The 05 M5 is what I'm shooting for.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    For people who actually will be purchasing these cars price is not an issue.

Brian
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    NSX, Suburban, R1, and maybe M3
    Originally posted by dallasbboy

Brian
    I dont think thats true.... I always like to get a deal when i buy something.

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Hmm... I disagree, you'd have to be an idiot that likes to piss money away if you do not always seek the best value.

I always look for the BEST dollar/value ratio. In contrast to what people think, people that are wealthy -- stay wealthy because they are smart about money.

There is a difference b/w people that ARE wealthy and APPEAR to be wealthy. Many people "look" wealthy, nice watch, nice car, nice clothes, etc ... and then you look at their assets ... and they are butt-deep into debt.

So, for me, price is an issue ... I try not to keep a car for only 3-4 years and flip it ... I would like to keep it for 10+ years. If EVERY person kept their cars for 10+ years, I think they said an individual would save almost $600K in their lifetime.

My Cars
    tank
    Originally posted by dallasbboy

Brian
    that is SOOOO untrue.

Most people who have money.....have money for a reason. Price is always an isssue...
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    '97 E39
    I honestly don't think the new M5 would be a v10, if BMW wants more hp and doesn't want to turbo/supercharge they'll give the M5 a v12.. the v12 can make enough power to scare anyone away just look @ what McLaen did to it all it needed was DOHC.

can AA reprogram the software on that motor james? maybe you can get them to do a custom job...that may bring the price up to the level of new M5, or a bit more. But the power would be awe inspiring.

Did you ever sell your M3? or are you going to keep that kicking around for awhile?
    Originally posted by Beau
    the turbo is the perfect garbage can....

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Originally posted by sirtiger
    that is SOOOO untrue.

Most people who have money.....have money for a reason. Price is always an isssue...
    Of course price is still an issue but since the price is already pretty damn high you'll find the demogrpahic of people who will be getting on the waiting lists will not be signing up cause the car is a "good deal". They want the car at any cost which is why the dealers don't hesitate a bit when adding markup premiums on top of MSRP.

Brian
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Originally posted by zenon
    I honestly don't think the new M5 would be a v10, if BMW wants more hp and doesn't want to turbo/supercharge they'll give the M5 a v12.. the v12 can make enough power to scare anyone away just look @ what McLaen did to it all it needed was DOHC.
    All the info I have heard verifies that the new M5 will indeed be a V10.

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes

My Cars
    '97 E39
    "All the info I have heard verifies that the new M5 will indeed be a V10."

weeeiiird, to me that would be like BMW making a v6...just doesn't make any sense.
    Originally posted by Beau
    the turbo is the perfect garbage can....