Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing I6 e39 engine and tranny mounts.Question.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    OK guys it took me longer than I thought to actually order the mounts from EAC and install them (other stuff came up in life...) but I finally did it. It's easier than I thought it would be, thanks to Mark and his write up. I didn't have a chance to drive it yet but the new engine mounts are taller than the old ones (+ old ones are cracked all around) and the the old tranny mounts were more compressed under the tranny weight than the new ones. Everything is as Mark described except on the passenger side I had to unscrew the exhaust heat shield to take the motor mount out. Plus there's more room on the sides of the I6 engine than the V8..
    If you have a chance to use a lift it will significantly reduce installation time.
    Pics and comments after I drive it tomorrow.For now here's style 5 on a VW
    Hey!
    Did you lift your car on all 4 jack stands, or just put the front up on jack stands when you installed the new mounts?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    OK guys it took me longer than I thought to actually order the mounts from EAC and install them (other stuff came up in life...) but I finally did it. It's easier than I thought it would be, thanks to Mark and his write up. I didn't have a chance to drive it yet but the new engine mounts are taller than the old ones (+ old ones are cracked all around) and the the old tranny mounts were more compressed under the tranny weight than the new ones. Everything is as Mark described except on the passenger side I had to unscrew the exhaust heat shield to take the motor mount out. Plus there's more room on the sides of the I6 engine than the V8..
    If you have a chance to use a lift it will significantly reduce installation time.
    Pics and comments after I drive it tomorrow.For now here's style 5 on a VW

Is this ur Vdub

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Bump...
    So, what is the torque setting for the transmission mounts?
    Jason i thought you have 2 Bentley manual - 1 book and 1 soft , no ?

For I6 engine
    Engine mount to subframe ( M10) : 45 Nm ( 33 Ft-lb )
    Rubber mount to transmission ( M8 ) : 21 Nm ( 15 Ft-lb )
    Rubber mount to chassis ( M10 ) : 42 Nm ( 30 Ft-lb )
    Last edited by champaign777; 10-03-2010 at 11:10 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
    BMW TIS or the bentley manual will have the torque specs listed.

It's not rocket science to me though- put it back as tight as you took it off. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

You would be wise to heed my advice regarding the fan shroud as well- if not you will be flexing your fan against the shroud when you lift the engine. Why you would want to do that is beyond me- we all know how fragile the fan blades are on these cars. It's 2 plastic rivets that take all of 3 minutes to remove them both.

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Remove rivet at each top corner of fan shroud. Pry out rivet center pin (tack lifter), then fully pry out rivet from base (tack lifter).

My Cars
    BMW 530iA E39
    Hi, guys.
    When you describe the procedure to exchange the transmission mounts on a L6 engine, are you talking about an automatic transmission? So you don't need to remove the crossmember bar?
    And... can the transmission mounts be exchanged without removing the engine mounts? I recently changed them and now I only want to do the tranny ones in my '02 530iA. I mean, can I jack it up without loosening the engine mounts?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanmor View Post
    So you don't need to remove the crossmember bar?
    And... can the transmission mounts be exchanged without removing the engine mounts? I recently changed them and now I only want to do the tranny ones in my '02 530iA. I mean, can I jack it up without loosening the engine mounts?
    For trans mounts:
    - Support the Trans with floor jack (use a piece of wood under the trans)
    - Remove the trans support bracket
    - Replace the trans mounts and put the support bracket back.
    - That is all.

E36 DIY but essentially the same for E39:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...nny_Mounts.htm

My Cars
    BMW 530iA E39
    A lot of thanks. Removing the bracket makes much more sense as you don't need to force anything out of its position to replace the mounts.
    Did you find any difference in engine sound inside the cabin when replaced the tranny mounts?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    For trans mounts:
    - Support the Trans with floor jack (use a piece of wood under the trans)
    - Remove the trans support bracket
    - Replace the trans mounts and put the support bracket back.
    - That is all.

E36 DIY but essentially the same for E39:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...nny_Mounts.htm
    I recently tried to replace my transmission mounts (5-sp manual) and failed.

With the tools I had (socket set & swivel extensions), I couldn't find a way to get the right-side top nut off; everything kept bumping into the flex disc nuts. Left-side mount top nut was easy but I just put it back on and decided to buy a set of rachet-type box wrenches someday soon, then try again.

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Wha? It's piss easy! Get a ring spanner on it and that's it. Also, use some WD40 before hand and it should go off like a treat.

Did this on mine last week, the engine mounts were a bit tricky, it's best to do one at a time, so the engine can tilt a bit and you can get one out a bit more easily.
    The tranny mounts, as said, leave the top nut be, just put it on, if you tighten it before lowering the tranny it won't want to seat in properly.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    I recently tried to replace my transmission mounts (5-sp manual) and failed.

With the tools I had (socket set & swivel extensions), I couldn't find a way to get the right-side top nut off; everything kept bumping into the flex disc nuts. Left-side mount top nut was easy but I just put it back on and decided to buy a set of rachet-type box wrenches someday soon, then try again.
    Just remove the transmission bracket.
    It is the easiest way, however, be careful of breaking any bolts.
    Use PB Blaster on all the bolts and nuts.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Just remove the transmission bracket.
    It is the easiest way, however, be careful of breaking any bolts.
    Use PB Blaster on all the bolts and nuts.
    I expected it to be easier than the engine mounts I replaced back in late summer. So, I need to remove the bracket and lower the trans a little bit first to get to that top right mount nut? Wasn't too sure I wanted to be torquing away at the side of a jacked transmission, but that must be the way....

MehMan, ring spanner = offset box wrench? Okay, thanks!

Ah... how do ya'll get a torque wrench in there on the top nuts after the bracket is back in place? Seems improbable......
    Last edited by pleiades; 01-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 5MT
    What are the symptoms of worn motor mounts? I keep noticing a "groaning" sound (subtle, not loud) when engaging 1st gear at low rpm.

(2000 528i, M52TU, 5Spd)
    --
    2001 E36 Z3 3.0 5MT/Sport - back to 3 pedals, current FUN car, part time DD
    2000 E46 323iT 5AT/Sport - damned AT lost reverse, sold on an project car
    2009 E92 335i 6MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, sorely missed
    2000 E39 528i 5MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, missed

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    is there a DIY write up for the e39 528i ?

.. 1999 528i .. Cold and Premium Package ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12