Thread: Help asap please Fitment issues

My Cars
    Too Many To List

Help asap please Fitment issues

Hey guys, i have a 98 z3, was originally a 1.9L so the quarters arent as wide as the M's... I just bought 16x9 BBS RS and am wondering now if they will fit... i am gonna have to run adapters also.. Please help, if theyre not gonna fit i can at least tell the guy so he can sell to someone else.. sThanks!

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    What is the offset of the wheels? 9 inch wide is probably a bit much.

You can do the math here: http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    Last edited by cantfixitall; 02-12-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    Offsets are the most important part. You need to tell us that first.

My Cars
    '01 M Coupe
    And adapter thickness since it will effectively add to the offset.
    Current: 2001 M Coupe - Titanium Silver, 2022 M3 Competition xDrive - individual Enzian blue
    Former: 2001 M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    As said, offset and adapter thickness are needed.

This is 18x9 et22 on my 1.9:

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Looks like you need an M Roadster rear subframe.

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    16x8.5 et57
    16x9.0 et32
    5x130 porsche bolt pattern

19mm Adapters 5x120 to 5x130

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    The 16x8.5 will end up at an et38, which is a perfect fitment. The 16x9 end up at a 13mm offset, which is going to be very hard to fit. A couple options I see...

Run the 16x8.5 up front, which is a good fit. Roll the rear fenders, stretch on some tiny tires and run the 16x9 out back. It's going to be very hard to fit, but not impossible. In my opinion, it's too much poke though.

Use the 16x8.5 in back, which won't require any work at all... and you can run some good size tires (I know you need them with the engine swap). Get lips that are 1 inch smaller for the 16x9's to make them 16x8 et57, and use those on the front of the car. The final offset with the adapter would be 38mm, so it will fit great.

If you can't go an inch smaller on the lips of the 16x9, get lips that are .5" smaller to make them 16x8.5 et45. With the adapters this is et26, which would be acceptable for the rear of the car. Then run the the other wheel on the front with no problems. This will give you a little wider setup. This would be my choice.

Lips for 16" RS's are really cheap, especially if you're going down in size. Check the wheel/tire classifieds, and "other bolt pattern" on vwvortex. That's where the best deals on parts are. I picked up a pair of .5" lips for about $50 shipped last year.

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    The 16x8.5 will end up at an et38, which is a perfect fitment. The 16x9 end up at a 13mm offset, which is going to be very hard to fit. A couple options I see...

Run the 16x8.5 up front, which is a good fit. Roll the rear fenders, stretch on some tiny tires and run the 16x9 out back. It's going to be very hard to fit, but not impossible. In my opinion, it's too much poke though.

Use the 16x8.5 in back, which won't require any work at all... and you can run some good size tires (I know you need them with the engine swap). Get lips that are 1 inch smaller for the 16x9's to make them 16x8 et57, and use those on the front of the car. The final offset with the adapter would be 38mm, so it will fit great.

If you can't go an inch smaller on the lips of the 16x9, get lips that are .5" smaller to make them 16x8.5 et45. With the adapters this is et26, which would be acceptable for the rear of the car. Then run the the other wheel on the front with no problems. This will give you a little wider setup. This would be my choice.

Lips for 16" RS's are really cheap, especially if you're going down in size. Check the wheel/tire classifieds, and "other bolt pattern" on vwvortex. That's where the best deals on parts are. I picked up a pair of .5" lips for about $50 shipped last year.

Only Problem is.... The wheels are 16x8.5 and 16x9.5 ( the 16x9.5 have 2" Lip) so the guy is getting me 1.5" Lips so they will be 16x8.5 and 16x9.. So if i went even smaller i wont have a lip , which is unfortunate cz i wanted big lips in the rear. . . .

My Cars
    1998 EJ207
    I have 17x9 +8 on the rear of my 1.9. It was a decent pull but was not that hard to do. The camber helps a bit too.

I say go for it, 225/50/16? My rear tires are 225/45/17.

Kyle is right too, the fronts will be perfect.
    Last edited by Bren1; 02-13-2011 at 06:13 PM.

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    Car Looks good man....

Ok well just got off the phone with the guy i bought the wheels from..

Got awesome news! i thought the front lips were 1.5" and rear were 2 changing to 1.5" Below is the following specs !

16x8.5 Fronts with .5" Lip ET57
    16x9 Rears with a 1.5" Lip ET32

i am not going to run adapters due to power, so i am going to get them filled/Re-Drilled

My Cars
    1998 EJ207
    Thank you. With et57 you may have to run spacers up front so you won't hit your suspension. What suspension are you going to run?

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    I think i have Koni adjustable shocks with eibach ground control coilovers

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostedturbo View Post
    Only Problem is.... The wheels are 16x8.5 and 16x9.5 ( the 16x9.5 have 2" Lip) so the guy is getting me 1.5" Lips so they will be 16x8.5 and 16x9.. So if i went even smaller i wont have a lip , which is unfortunate cz i wanted big lips in the rear. . . .
    No offense, but I think you should do some research on fitment for your car before getting into the world of "custom" 3 piece wheels.

think about a redrill?

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Grauc View Post
    No offense, but I think you should do some research on fitment for your car before getting into the world of "custom" 3 piece wheels.

think about a redrill?
    I think he's going to find out the hard, expensive way.

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    You're going to need at least an 15mm spacer for the front with that setup. That gives you about 3mm of clearance between the rim and the strut. Your wheel will be sunken in about an inch from the hoodfender though.

My Cars
    Too Many To List

Thumbs down A$$holes

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I think he's going to find out the hard, expensive way.

Thanks, Apprecaite you being a total insignificant asshole... if i wanted a fasichous comment i would of posted on honda forums... i posted on here for HELP, not bullshit MCOUPEMINDY

@ Grauc i am getting a redrill as stated in my last post?

@ LAWLence- Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Thanks, Apprecaite you being a total insignificant asshole... if i wanted a fasichous comment i would of posted on honda forums... i posted on here for HELP, not bullshit MCOUPEMINDY

@ Grauc i am getting a redrill as stated in my last post?

@ LAWLence- Thank you! I really appreciate it!
    Here's the advice then:

a.) Research as much as possible on offsets and learn as much as you can. It's basic math. There are many resources on the internet to help you.
    b.) Understand what fits on the car and what cannot. All cars have slightly different requirements, even the same make and model. Many factors, including the alignment, come into play. Many times you can only find the limit by trying to stuff different combinations on it and making notes.
    c.) Learn to measure backspace, front space, caliper hang clearance, etc. with no wheels on the car. You'll need patience, good measuring tools, and more patience.
    d.) Try to eliminate the need for spacers and adapters at all cost. Sometimes a small spacer is unavoidable because the wheels are not available in the appropriate offset - that's ok. Conversion from different lug patterns are very thick and add a significant amount of weight.
    e.) Before even thinking about buying three piece wheels, especially ones that may need rebuilt specifically for your car, talk to someone who has been there done that. There's a ton of reward if done correctly, however there's a bunch of risk and frustration also.

If you are ever in the area and want me to explain / demonstrate all of the above, let me know. Sometimes the "asshole" in the room is not your enemy.

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    Here's the advice then:

a.) Research as much as possible on offsets and learn as much as you can. It's basic math. There are many resources on the internet to help you.
    b.) Understand what fits on the car and what cannot. All cars have slightly different requirements, even the same make and model. Many factors, including the alignment, come into play. Many times you can only find the limit by trying to stuff different combinations on it and making notes.
    c.) Learn to measure backspace, front space, caliper hang clearance, etc. with no wheels on the car. You'll need patience, good measuring tools, and more patience.
    d.) Try to eliminate the need for spacers and adapters at all cost. Sometimes a small spacer is unavoidable because the wheels are not available in the appropriate offset - that's ok. Conversion from different lug patterns are very thick and add a significant amount of weight.
    e.) Before even thinking about buying three piece wheels, especially ones that may need rebuilt specifically for your car, talk to someone who has been there done that. There's a ton of reward if done correctly, however there's a bunch of risk and frustration also.

If you are ever in the area and want me to explain / demonstrate all of the above, let me know. Sometimes the "asshole" in the room is not your enemy.

Listen, sorry about last night... Had a horrible fucking valentines day, came home and saw that and it set me off... I'm glad you took the time to explain this to me! I am a master technician, and have my own performance shop, and have built some downright disgusting cars... However i am no wheel whore, and couldnt tell you the different between offsets etc if it punched me in the mouth..> hence why i am asking your guys help.. With that in mund, thank you!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1599198
    Last edited by Boostedturbo; 02-15-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Listen, sorry about last night... Had a horrible fucking valentines day, came home and saw that and it set me off... I'm glad you took the time to explain this to me! I am a master technician, and have my own performance shop, and have built some downright disgusting cars... However i am no wheel whore, and couldnt tell you the different between offsets etc if it punched me in the mouth..> hence why i am asking your guys help.. With that in mund, thank you!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1599198
    No problem! I'm truly an ass sometimes too. Sorry you had a terrible v-day.

And you're nuts for putting that huge turbo on there :P

My Cars
    Too Many To List
    No problem! I'm truly an ass sometimes too. Sorry you had a terrible v-day.

And you're nuts for putting that huge turbo on there :P

it is alright, we all can be asses at sometime and yeah wasnt too good of a v-day but whatever... and i know i like to do builds that stand out and are different.... Should be wicked when finished.. month or 2!

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    I haven't done any of the offset calculations because I really don't know anything about 1.9 rear fenders, but usually it looks the best if you can get about the same amount of poke and stretch in both front and rear. If the wheels in the front are inside the fender and the ones in the back poke outside the fender it will look as if the car is not as well sorted out as it could be. Just something to think about if you have a choice.

My Cars
    Too Many To List

Moon

Quote Originally Posted by GB5416 View Post
    I haven't done any of the offset calculations because I really don't know anything about 1.9 rear fenders, but usually it looks the best if you can get about the same amount of poke and stretch in both front and rear. If the wheels in the front are inside the fender and the ones in the back poke outside the fender it will look as if the car is not as well sorted out as it could be. Just something to think about if you have a choice.

This is true, but and however i am not running for a totally wicked stance, i want a good looking stance, but also traction, which is a pretrty hard combination... so i want a pretty postitive camber, but a nice staggered offset to set everything off