Thread: Rattling windows when doors are closed

My Cars
    Z3 1.9

Rattling windows when doors are closed

Hi. both driver and passenger side is getting a rattle when I slam close the door. It had a solid clunk when it was new. When could possibly cause this? Door panel too loose or windows regulator? Anyone had this problem and fixed it?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe; 92 Civic VX; 2001 ZX6R
    Is the window rattle coming from within the door itself, or is it rattling outside the door?

If outside, how are your window seals around the parameter of the window? There should be a tight fit between the window seal and the top/side of the actual window.
    2000 M Coupe - My Baby
    92' Civic VX - 45 mpg city, 55 mpg highway
    2001 ZX-6R - My Toy

My Cars
    Z3 1.9
    it is in side the door. No matter the window is up or down, the rattle still exist

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe; 92 Civic VX; 2001 ZX6R
    Personally, I've never heard of such a rattle. If your car's still under warranty, I'd just take it to the dealership.

If you're a go-getter and wanna try to figure it out yourself, here's a link for removing your door panels. Should help out.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/int...oor_panel.html
    2000 M Coupe - My Baby
    92' Civic VX - 45 mpg city, 55 mpg highway
    2001 ZX-6R - My Toy

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe
    Had it myself. Put pressure on the window while driving - does this cure it? I had some lose parts in the door that hold the window in place. Both windows had this issue and both fixed under warranty. My window would also 'fall' down a few inches on occasion when putting the window up! Weird stuff, but all fixed.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe

Re: Rattling windows when doors are closed

Originally posted by MC007
    Hi. both driver and passenger side is getting a rattle when I slam close the door. It had a solid clunk when it was new. When could possibly cause this? Door panel too loose or windows regulator? Anyone had this problem and fixed it?
    I heard this noise when you slam the door personally on many Z3s/coupes including mine. In my case it is temperature dependent and does not happen unless the temperatures hits a sweet spot which is not very often. 90% of the time mine are fine. From what I heard it is not the doors. It is the impact beams inside that cause this. Thus dealer will not mess with them (safety issue). Solution is to get a new door but I bet that will do the same thing.

Florian
    2002 M Coupe
    Estorilblau
    368S/74