Thread: Low oil pressure on idle

My Cars
    1995 318is

Low oil pressure on idle

When my car is idling my low oil pressure light flashes periodically, and has been getting worse day by day.

It's to the point where the second my rpms drop to idle it comes on for a good few seconds, and does this multiple times, including flashing.

Is this probably a sensor or is it something serious like my oil pump.

There is oil in the engine.
    1995 318is
    violet on black
    5 speed w/ lsd
    268.xxxkm

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Mine did this for a long time -- drove me nuts! I even switched to a heavier weight oil thinking I had issues with my engine internals.

I replaced the oil pressure sensor (switch) -- it's on the back of the oil filter housing.

Problem solved (for me at least)!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    BMW
    could very well be a sign of a failing oil pump.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraut.Burner View Post
    could very well be a sign of a failing oil pump.
    True, but replacing the switch is cheaper and easier to start with. Many times it's just the switch that's bad (they get gummed up with oil sludge and stop sensing the correct pressure).

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    True, but replacing the switch is cheaper and easier to start with. Many times it's just the switch that's bad (they get gummed up with oil sludge and stop sensing the correct pressure).
    I agree with this.... Could very well be the beginnings of an oil pump failure, but try replacing the sensor first, and go from there.

My Cars
    94' 325is
    I don't remember what page, but in the owners manual it says it's normal as long as the light goes off as soon as you rev the engine.