Thread: Parrot BT with Steering Controls installation on 540iT

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3

Post DIY - E39 Parrot BT with Steering Controls installation on 540it

I apologize if this should be located elsewhere, but I think this is an E39 540it specific interior question. I did searches, but did not see specific detail for this topic.

I'm putting in a Parrot BT kit with steering controls in this afternoon. Anyone on the forum recently done the same thing on a 540it wagon?
    I'm looking for the 25 pin connector for the phone/audio wiring that on the sedans are in the rear left interior quarter panel. Not visible and before I pull that rear interior panel off, i figured it was worth a question in case this particular connector is located elsewhere on the wagon. Or the correct way to remove the wagon left interior panel in the cargo area. I did notice at least in one area it seemed to be attached with Torx screws. Did not find reference of either in the two volume expensive Bentley manuals.

Any guidance here will help minimize this afternoons trial and error. Thanks!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 04-14-2009 at 02:06 AM.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3

Post DIY - E39 Touring - Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth Installation

I was recently asked by a forum member as to the installation of a Parrot CK3000 bluetooth integration kit made by EISkits. I picked up the kit from BavAuto for $435 or so.

While I installed this a few months ago, I took a few pics this afternoon of where the pieces are installed in case anyone else is interested in doing the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a few criteria items for the new unit:
    • First, the solution would have to work with any Bluetooth phone I might have or replace with in the future.
    • Second, I wanted to use the steering wheel controls already installed on our steering wheels.
    • Third, I wanted installation to be invisible.
    • Fourth, I wanted voice commands for dialing contacts.
    The Parrot fit all the criteria. Additionally it was about $250-$300 less than the OEM integration kits available. I figured for a first shot, I'd try this solution.

I wasn't smart enough to take pictures while I did the installation so, these are post photos with comments on the location choices.

So, the Parrot CK3000 kit consists of two control modules, a wiring harness for the E39, a DB25 pin connector and a bluetooth mike. (photo of the kit)

Here's the install manual from EISkits as thier picture are better than my pictures of pictures. http://www.eiskits.com/E38_39%20Plai...al%20v1.11.pdf

Based on available space locations I decided to place the two Parrot Bluetooth modules in the center console since a portion of the factory telephone wiring terminates in the center console.

Part One:
    First and the easiest part was installing the DB25 connection.

On the tour, it is under the cargo panel directly behind the rear seats. To remove the panel, remove the panel over the spare tire. On the remaining panel, remove four screws that hold the two lashing D-rings and one bolt in the rear center edge of the panel. The screws for the D-rings lie under plastic flaps that hide the screws.

There is a 10mm bolt you will also have to remove to gain access to the lower floor area. (Picture deleted as I was at the photo limit)

On the Sedan, the DB25 connector is in the drivers side rear quarter panel where the amp and factory CD Changer.

(look in the EIS install manual above for pictures of the Sedan install location and a pic of the DB25 connector.

So, I connected and tie wraped the silver DB25 connector to it's plug in the Tour's cargo area. Once installed, I reinstalled the floor and D rings. Part one done... 15 min once I found the touring location of the DB25 connector.

Part Two:
    The second part of the install was to locate the telephone integration harness under the center console. The first step is to take the console apart.

Remove the cup holder. I used a plastic trim tool to not damage the console. (Just noticed I have to clean the rear vents...)

Remove the vents. Just slide the vent assembly down and pull out. There is a wire on mine for heat control.

Unscrew two screws holding the center sliding armrest.

Remove armrest by lifting up and back.

In this shot, you can see how the two modules fit into the armrest. The silver module sits in the middle so the sliding armrest will fit properly.

To get the blue module to fit width wise, I cut off the mounting ears with a Dremel. I left the ears on the other side as a spacer to protect the connectors. Once the module case was modified, I placed it in the armrest area to figure out how much material to remove so it had a snug fit without being loose.

I used a Dremel tool to remove a little material from the sides of the armrest toproperly fit the blue module. I could have used an x-acto knife as well. The circles show where I removed material. The arrow shows the existing opening I used to route the excess wiring.

In order to get the cable connector to fit, I picked up a 90 degree angle 3.5mm jack connector from Radio Shack to make the bend.

Next photo is where I stored the excess cabling harness. I took out the storage area/cup holder from the center console after uncliping the leather boot for the e-brake. Simply push up from underneath to get the storage holder/cup holder out.

The integration cables were about two feet long. I coiled and tie wrapped the cables to the passengerside of the inside of the center console next to the cup recess. Done with part two. Time about an hour.

Part Three: Running the microphone
    Next thing I needed was to install the microphone. This part took the most time at 1.5 hrs. Routing the cable and not triggering the side head airbag was a concern. I took my time as to not mess anything up. I wanted it in the original OEM location do I had to run from the center console to the headliner. The problem was the cable was 1 ft too short.

I purchased a six foot extension cord from Radio Shack with male and female ends. If they had a 3' cord that would have been ideal, but six was all I could find on a Saturday morning... I plugged this extension into the 90 degree connector pictured earlier. I ran this extension on the right side of the center console and up to the lower dash area.

I ran the cable up and over the glove box and coiled the excess length on the right side of the glove box area. This cable provided a place to plug thr mike into. I used a stiff wire with the end taped to fish the wire to where I needed it to go.

x
    Next was to run the microphone cable. Here's the mic location. I plan to get a better mic placement but it's here for now. I first took out the lights then the mic/sunroof switch panel

I started running the Parrot mike from here. Note the BMW mike in the background. I will figure out how to get it cabled in and working if having the Parrot mike exposed bugs me enough. I wrapped 10" of the Parrot mike cable as it would be running near the interior loght box and wanted to protect the cable from the heat generated from the lights.

I next removed the overhead light and visor. The visor was two torx screws and the overhead light easily removed with a plastic trim removal tool. Sorry for the vague picture.

Remove the side pillar trim. Run the cable from under the headliner to under the trim piece and under the airbag. Important to run under the airbag to not interfere with proper deployment.

I routed the end of the microphone cable through a small gap between the dash and the pillar. I connected the end of the cable to the coiled cable in the glove box.
    x

Here's the working end of the microphone. I routed the mike cable out of the headliner by the rear view mirror and used the microphone clip included in the clip to position the mike towards me. To get the mike to run out of the headliner, you have to remove or just loosen both the passenger and drivers side visor clip torx screws so the headliner has some room to shift away from the glass. The visor clips have screw covers that you can release with a pick or small flat blade screwdriver.

Insert the microphone clip in this area and position it where you want it. Retighten the visor clip torx screws and reassemble the panel for the sunroof switch and interior lights.

Part three done, elapsed time, 1.5 hours not including time to head to Radio shack for the extension cord and the 90 degree connector.

So, the finishing tough was a mount for my phone/GPS.

The install took about three hours and another hour to figure out how to program the Parrot. Works great and was worth the time.

After using the unit for two months, it works great and is very clear through the cars speakers. With use, I found I could be more soft spoken when programming the voice commands and contact names. That way you don't have to speak too loudly to get the unit to recognize your commands.

The only thing I wish it would do, is dial by number by voice command. This seems to be a major difference between the OEM integration and the Parrot. Other than that, I am pleased with the unit.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 02-05-2009 at 02:07 AM.

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    '05 330ci Sport
    Thanks very much for the pics! Now all we have to do is get you over to my house this weekend to repeat it!
    E34 6 CD Changer for sale Cheep...just pay shipping!:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post15212510

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    Thanks very much for the pics! Now all we have to do is get you over to my house this weekend to repeat it!
    You're welcome! PM me if you need a hand over the phone while you're doing the install.

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit

1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I've been considering this retrofit. Thanks for the info. and write-up.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    The caller information does not show up on the MID/instrament cluster correct? Is there any kit besides OEM that allows this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 550i View Post
    I just fucked a 26 year old. Fuck marriage, it's overrated. Mention the words Aston Martin and NO woman is out of the question.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by hurttech View Post
    The caller information does not show up on the MID/instrament cluster correct? Is there any kit besides OEM that allows this?
    Correct. Although, if you have uploaded the caller info into the Parrot, it announces the call before you pick up. Additionally, I have a mount for my phone where I can see the screen of my AT&T tilt if the caller is not defined. I have not researched any other suppliers that have MID integration.

Hope this helps...

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Thanks Black, I just love OEMness and MID info would be great. Just cant justify ~800 for bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 550i View Post
    I just fucked a 26 year old. Fuck marriage, it's overrated. Mention the words Aston Martin and NO woman is out of the question.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by hurttech View Post
    Thanks Black, I just love OEMness and MID info would be great. Just cant justify ~800 for bluetooth.
    Yeah, me too, however I could not ignore the $350 price difference...

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    potato
    good stuff! I did a very similar install with my ck3000 with the control unit under the armrest. Mine only differed in that I did not do the steering wheel integration and instead hid the controller unit in the ashtray.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by supark View Post
    good stuff! I did a very similar install with my ck3000 with the control unit under the armrest. Mine only differed in that I did not do the steering wheel integration and instead hid the controller unit in the ashtray.
    Did you writeup your install with pics? I recall somone doing the ashtray location very cleanly. I need to find a good location for the controler, but I use the former ashtray location for stuff. I thought about stashing it in the ebrake boot when I don't need it as it would be easy enough to get to there...

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Hi, I'm looking into this as well.. What do the steering wheel buttons do then? Can you access the phonebook in your phone to make a call? How do you know when you've selected the right contact? If there is no display on the MID where do you see the result?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Sorry, just saw this today. No MID integration. The phone button on the steering wheel and volume works. The Parrot can manually acquire and store phone numbers from your BT phone. Different phones have different levels of integration as far as ease of use.

While I have enjoyed and used this system extensively, with the pricing of the OEM components lowering, I may check phone integration/limitiations and if it works for how I'd like to use the system, (i.e. MID and voice number dialing) I may make a switch for the 540it.

Cheers!

BMWCCA# 160411

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    I'm not sure if anyone still reads new posts on this thread but I was digging like hell through my 97's armrest and I couldn't find anything to hook up the controller to. So I returned the unit. I may try again though. My car is pre-wired for a phone and everything...are the wires just really hidden?

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    Yeah, mine were under some insulating material. Took about 5 min to fish it out with a bent hanger.

Under the air duct on the passenger side under the insulating material.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 09-14-2010 at 01:51 AM.

BMWCCA# 160411