Thread: spark plugs, ignition coil wires...whats it all mean?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

spark plugs, ignition coil wires...whats it all mean?

been putting together my list of stuff i wanna replace or do to the car. I came across performance ignition coil wires in my bavauto.com magazine, and it kinda had my interested cuz i really didn't know much about it.
    All in all i'm tryin to figure out;
    Do they make a difference?
    Do they have to be coupled with other things to make a difference?
    what are good spark plugs that can be changed in with the new coils...
    in general any adivce is great, im just tryin to brainstorm as much info as possible on my list of crap so i can make an economically smart decision. thank ya.
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Black
    Sport Trim
    Bilstein Sports

...more to come

Sold: 00 528i
    Gone: 07 (B7) Audi A4 2.0T

My Cars
    00 528i, 07 VW Eos
    Our cars don't have ignition coil wires. There are 6 coils, each mounted directly on the plugs. You can get "performance" coils, but they will not work any better than the OEM models. If you don't have any coil issues, just leave it alone.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    yea i misread and typed that cuz im an idiot, but putting in performance ignition coils wouldn't do anything?
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Black
    Sport Trim
    Bilstein Sports

...more to come

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by jecain View Post
    yea i misread and typed that cuz im an idiot, but putting in performance ignition coils wouldn't do anything?
    No.

What do you trust more? BMW engineers or a no-name Taiwanese company making aftermarket coils? For your own good leave them alone or replace them with OEM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    In theory, if you get a stronger spark, you can get better performance but most BMW are so maxed out on performance the ability to get additional gains is minimal. While you don't need to replace the coils, you can get the Coil pack ends-the rubber boot with the coil inside for about $10 each. Over the years these tend to get worn out and if you have had a valve cover leak they get soaked in oil gumming up the connection inside. So for $60, you can get 6 coil extensions for the price of one of those "performance" coils and probably "feels" just as good. Part number is 12139067831.
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 12-09-2009 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    whose to say that maybe, in the scheme to make money and technology advancing, 10 years after they designed that coil that maybe one available now might be better though?
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Black
    Sport Trim
    Bilstein Sports

...more to come

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Feel free to buy a set of performance coils and let us all know how faster she is.

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    whose to say that maybe, in the scheme to make money and technology advancing, 10 years after they designed that coil that maybe one available now might be better though?
    They have been selling those for years. I don't think any extensive engineering went into them -- they're simply rigged to create a hotter spark. And if something is going to combust, fuel to air mixture does more to aid combustion than the "size" of the spark.

You might burn through spark plug connectors and plugs faster though.
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    I like how people get suckered into buying new ignition items when their stuff works just fine. Unless your plugs are near 100k old, then don't replace. Think about it. It's just a spark. If it's creating a spark, it's working. Don't waste your money.

My Cars
    2003 525I
    been putting together my list of stuff i wanna replace or do to the car. I came across performance ignition coil wires in my bavauto.com magazine, and it kinda had my interested cuz i really didn't know much about it.
    All in all i'm tryin to figure out;
    Do they make a difference?
    Do they have to be coupled with other things to make a difference?
    what are good spark plugs that can be changed in with the new coils...
    in general any adivce is great, im just tryin to brainstorm as much info as possible on my list of crap so i can make an economically smart decision. thank ya.

I have a brand new set of the "Hi Perf" ignition coils straight from Bav Auto. . . make me an offer!

My Cars
    '02 530i
    Unless your coil packs are real old, cracked, or out of spec they don't need to be replaced. They aren't a maintenance item so if it ain't broke don't break it. Easiest way to tell is to do a quick search (or get a Bentley Manual) and get the resistance specs for the coils, grab a volt-ohm meter and check the coil resistance values. If the values are in spec then leave them alone. If they any of them are out of spec, replace all 6.

The rubber boot that connects the pack to the wire should all be replaced at 80-100K. They get old and dry and will loose conductivity.

Replace with OEM parts. "Performance coils" are a waste unless coupled with other mods.