Thread: My custom CAI Heatshield

My Cars
    02' 330ci - 97' 328i

My custom CAI Heatshield

I've been driving around for months with a CAI w/o a heatshield and everytime i touched that filter it burned my hand, so i decided to make my own heatshield since after market ones are overpriced.
    Well i can't say i made it i just showed my friend ( who has a shop for seats and soft tops etc ) what to do and he did everything, it took an hour and cost me a dinner

The steps:

1. Removing the air box and making a cardboard template.

2. Cutting and shaping a piece of thin sheet metal while testing if the hood closes freely and make sure the metal doesn't scrape with anything ( wires etc ). Of course u have to cut a 3" circle for the intake tube and notice the bend around the plastic water container, it allows the cold air to enter freely and it also helps steady the shield.

3. Cutting insulation sponge and gluing it on the metal, this is a sponge that has closed cells for insulation ( at least that's what he told me lol ) . I found this, maybe it will help someone : http://acehose.com/closed-cell-sponge-rubber.htm

4. Spray paint everything black for looks and insulation purposes

5. Weatherstripping - lower

5. Weatherstripping - upper

6. Placing the shield in place and testing again if the hood closes to make sure u don't need any further changes. The shield will sit in place very well without a need to zip tie or screw anything.

7. final product:

To me it looks fine ( ill find a proper 45 degrees intake boot ) but most importantly i drove it hard for 30 mins and when i opened the hood the filter was very cool only the left side of the heatshield was a tiny bit warm from the inside i think because the shield from the oustside is touching the alternator and that's transferring some heat, but the filter stays cool, im convinced it will behave the same in the summer.

I should say the intake sounds deeper with the heatshield for some reason, i felt the difference in sound immediately, and more importantly and im not dreaming the car pulls a little better down low it feels like it has more torque in lower rpms, i never thought a heatshield would make a such a difference.

I hope this will be helpfull, i know there r lots of DIY's with effective and more good lookin' CAIs but still i wanted to share.
    Last edited by ModMaster; 12-06-2009 at 02:07 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328/4/5
    U should start distributing. I'll buy one if its cheaper then the ebay ones.

My Cars
    323is
    VERY clean job, and I am a perfectionist!

My Cars
    1996 328is

My Cars
    1997 328is
    good job. looks quite clean. easy for someone to follow too
    Quote Originally Posted by Smigz View Post
    Holy shit BMW makes a street sweeper!?

My Cars
    01 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ModMaster View Post

I should say the intake sounds deeper with the heatshield for some reason, i felt the difference in sound immediately, and more importantly and im not dreaming the car pulls a little better down low it feels like it has more torque in lower rpms, i never thought a heatshield would make a such a difference.
    Was it just me that noticed this? I think the heat shield looks awesome, but proof read first please.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0i
    Very nice! I need to get around to building one of these ASAP. I'm gonna try to model it after yours as close as possible

My Cars
    95 6sp 332is 98 5sp 328i
    I'm about to do this exact same project my self, I've been driving for over a month now without a heatshield around the intake.

Unless if you want to make another, how much would you want for a shield?
    95 Hellrot/Modena 332is, 287k chassis 143k S52, 6 speed 420g, DS2's, 3.23 LSD, 97+ facelift, 96+ climate control conversion.
    98 Alpine white/Black and Tan, 328i Sedan 226k chassis 163k M52, Auto to 5 speed ZF manual swapped, E46 sport seats, 2.93 open diff, style 30 wheels, OEM M3 catback, nothing special here

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    nice work. looks just as good as the $400 intake kits. has anyone really questioned why those kits are so ridiculously priced? lol.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    looks awesome...as good as K&N and other top CAI heatshields... I think you have business opportunity...haha...how much did it really cost you to make???

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This is quite nice. I was expecting some bad DIY job but this is great! Real nice job!

No cruise control? Radiator expansion tank on the LEFT? Weird...
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 12-06-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 M3
    How much and where did you get the filter and piping. I would like to do this.

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody
    Great job, man! I bet that sounds awesome.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiRacer View Post
    U should start distributing. I'll buy one if its cheaper then the ebay ones.

+1

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Well of course it looks good. He's the mod master as his SC states.......

My Cars
    '89 325is, '13 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by CLPreston View Post
    Was it just me that noticed this? I think the heat shield looks awesome, but proof read first please.
    grammar Nazi

op, heat shield looks really well done!

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    nice job. waiting to go 3.5" maf to do the same thing.

My Cars
    02' 330ci - 97' 328i
    Thanks a lot guys for the nice comments, it gives me great satisfaction.

I had two 30 min trips today home-work-home, at the end of each trip i opened the hood to check the filter, it was cold the upper (chrome) part of the filter was cold !! u couldn't touch that thing b4 the shield. but the weather is very cold now, can't wait to test it in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by tlamm View Post
    How much and where did you get the filter and piping. I would like to do this.
    Filter was bought locally, not a brand name but i paid 80$, those r not cheap here, the blue intake tube is from e-bay (15$ shipped), but i bought the 90 degree elbow by mistake, so i got a 3" plastic sewer pipe (lol) as the extension until i get a proper 45 degree intake elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboi View Post
    looks awesome...as good as K&N and other top CAI heatshields... I think you have business opportunity...haha...how much did it really cost you to make???
    I really don't know, i mean its only sheet metal, insulation sponge, weatherstrip etc not expensive materials but all that stuff was already in his shop and he really didn't take money, he's a good friend of mine, he did it as a challenge he likes this stuff, i just showed him pics and explained the idea to him and he came up with it in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball546 View Post
    Great job, man! I bet that sounds awesome.
    The sound is awesome, i'll post a vid soon. I'm actually gettin' the cam specific software soon, i can't imagine the sound @7000rmps

As for the distribution idea, i'm not sure it will work cus of shipping charges but i will check it and consult my friend to see if we can work something out, he actually told me he can do a better job with the finish.

My Cars
    2017 M240iX
    Well dude hats off that's a hell of a DIY job. Very impressed.

Put together a kit with the shield and the piping (so that the hole lines up perfectly), let people add their own filter, and you'd sell lots of 'em on here.

But you may want to look under some other hoods, my expansion tank isn't there either and there might be an issue with that front bit becuase of that.

My Cars
    1997 328is AA SC
    very nice--great sheet metal skills and use of other materials--wish more people would use their brains instead of buying substandard ebay crap.

you are the man

Far too much to list

My Cars
    E30
    Quote Originally Posted by ModMaster View Post
    I've been driving around for months with a CAI w/o a heatshield and everytime i touched that filter it burned my hand, so i decided to make my own heatshield since after market ones are overpriced.
    Well i can't say i made it i just showed my friend ( who has a shop for seats and soft tops etc ) what to do and he did everything, it took an hour and cost me a dinner

The steps:

1. Removing the air box and making a cardboard template.

2. Cutting and shaping a piece of thin sheet metal while testing if the hood closes freely and make sure the metal doesn't scrape with anything ( wires etc ). Of course u have to cut a 3" circle for the intake tube and notice the bend around the plastic water container, it allows the cold air to enter freely and it also helps steady the shield.

3. Cutting insulation sponge and gluing it on the metal, this is a sponge that has closed cells for insulation ( at least that's what he told me lol ) . I found this, maybe it will help someone : http://acehose.com/closed-cell-sponge-rubber.htm

4. Spray paint everything black for looks and insulation purposes

5. Weatherstripping - lower

5. Weatherstripping - upper

6. Placing the shield in place and testing again if the hood closes to make sure u don't need any further changes. The shield will sit in place very well without a need to zip tie or screw anything.

7. final product:

To me it looks fine ( ill find a proper 45 degrees intake boot ) but most importantly i drove it hard for 30 mins and when i opened the hood the filter was very cool only the left side of the heatshield was a tiny bit warm from the inside i think because the shield from the oustside is touching the alternator and that's transferring some heat, but the filter stays cool, im convinced it will behave the same in the summer.

I hope this will be helpfull, i know there r lots of DIY's with effective and more good lookin' CAIs but still i wanted to share.
    The photos for this post have disappeared. Any chance you can post them again??

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF78 View Post
    The photos for this post have disappeared. Any chance you can post them again??
    Since this thread is 9 years old and the guys post count is still only 103 I am doubting he is still active. But I could be wrong.