Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How To Acheive Quality Sound From A BMW E36

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i (CB31)
    Requesting input on tweeter placement and speaker selection, see previous page.

Firetobrain, AFAIK the "12V ignition" is hot when the power is turned on with the key (accessory or run mode). The "12V battery" is always hot. If you plugged to the "12V battery", you're draining your battery.
    Last edited by Morgion; 12-12-2012 at 07:55 AM.

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    I know this is old. Been reading.
    Been installing stereos for damn near 20 years semi pro.

Ok so I'm half competent

My setup is cheap and simple by design.

new HU with 3 RCA outs
    (one is dedicated sub)
    other two are front and rear respectively.

i want to also add a sub.
    Ill run RCAs and power down center of car. Like I did for my non hk e36 vert

I will keep the HK hifi setup (amp and speakers)

WHAT EFFING PLUG SHKULD I USE FOR THE HU???

This one still seems wrong!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002B...278610-8291435
    If I use this AND The factory amp I'll use the HU speaker out outs and that harness will send the signal to the amp and the amp will here that signal well?

i feel I Ned the two RCAs harness to keep the HIFI amp AND use a sub again I will select decent HU with a sub RCA out and front and rear RCA outs. 6channels!
    Admittably, I've never attempted an install with factory amp. I normally gut stock systems and their amp to do it the comp way but not today! Money could be better spent elsewhere!

Again....
    what harness should I use?

Thanks!
    If this yields no responses I'll start a new thread with a copy and past :/
    ps forgive my writing this is on an iPhone.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    If you are keeping the factory amp, you will use that adapter. Factory amp is fed by speaker level inputs. Be aware that your new HU will output a significantly stronger speaker level signal. You'll want to do something to lower the output power level. A few head units can do that with internal settings. I've read of a trick to reduce output by tying the speaker negatives to chassis ground although I can't speak from experience. There are other methods too. As for the sub, you'll run that off the RCA to a dedicated amp.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Thank you!!!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    If you are keeping the factory amp, you will use that adapter. Factory amp is fed by speaker level inputs. Be aware that your new HU will output a significantly stronger speaker level signal. You'll want to do something to lower the output power level. A few head units can do that with internal settings. I've read of a trick to reduce output by tying the speaker negatives to chassis ground although I can't speak from experience. There are other methods too. As for the sub, you'll run that off the RCA to a dedicated amp.
    The output level will most likely be higher but it shouldn't really be a problem.

Do NOT tie the negatives to ground on a radio unless it is a common ground radio. And I haven't seen one of those made in a long time.

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    The output level will most likely be higher but it shouldn't really be a problem.

Do NOT tie the negatives to ground on a radio unless it is a common ground radio. And I haven't seen one of those made in a long time.
    essentually you are saying to ground the HU - to make my own ground for the HU.

Oh wait the speakers ground or the HU ground?

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    What we are both talking about is the issue that an aftermarket head unit will have a much stronger "speaker level" driving the amp than the old factory head unit. What I said I don't know from experience. What he said is don't do it. I'd follow 12V's advice.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Sound quality and car stereo are oxymorons. With in car noise, the seats and the awkward listening position it is darn near impossible to have a good sound stage. Combine this with mp3's, radio and sirius satellite and sound quality is a complete joke. A fresh set of speakers on the 15 year old car is going to make a big difference in sound reproduction as the speakers are almost assuredly done from old age but to hope that the sound is going to magically compare to even a cheap well set up home stereo is just wishful thinking.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    OH boy, Lets not make this harder than it has to be PLEASE!

I will listen to 12 volt as his name indicates he is a genius with electricity and 12 volts.

- - - Updated - - -

think I got it...stop me if Im wrong. Otherwise thanks again.

this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7#post27341717

this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2#post27351622
    Last edited by deayge; 04-01-2014 at 02:12 AM.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 328i
    very descriptive & informational, thanks!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead but you guys know what you are doing with respect to e36s so id figure I would ask here instead of making a new thread. I have searched every sing thread about how to set up a good sound system in a e36. I haven't found a thread as good as this one.

I currently have a 95 e36 m3 with the non-h&k system. The rear speakers are removed. Fronts are all blown. The car has a sony MX-BT4100p HU with RCA outputs for Sub, left, right. I also have a rear seat delete at the moment, so I have more road noise than stock. My car has/had folding rear seats. I do track the car so I am a little worried about having a sub in the back for space/safety reasons.

Now here is my question, I am not sure if I want to do 6.9 in the rear, or just run a sub in the back. Keep in mind I have no pass-through with the rear seat delete.

I see that the 6x9s aren't favored. But I am thinking these would probably be better than running a 10/12" enclosed sub in the back? Or am I wrong?

I listen to hip hop/pop/dance, etc. Heavy bass music.

This is my plan:
    Front: Infinity Kappa 5.25 component system. Probably right around 80RMS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4DPYV13E&psc=1
    Back: Infinity kappa 6x9 3 way coaxial. 110w RMS link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SDHDORFF&psc=1

Amp: Blaupunkt 1500w 4ch. 150w RMS x 4 capability. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SDHDORFF&psc=1

OR

Back: IDQ10/12 V.4 D4 sub. 500w RMS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0ROPFSE5&psc=1

So I think im gonna have AMP issues with this sub if I choose to go this route right?

I am also thinking about going up to a 6.5" speaker in the front but am undecided.

If you guys have any other speaker suggestions around these pice points let me know.
    Last edited by BlipBoy; 01-12-2019 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    My 92 325is has blaupunkt amp. I would like to upgrade to HK but factory wiring is different. Is there any place that makes harness converter so I could use existing plugs with HK upgrade?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234