Thread: CD changer is stuck - does not pop out

My Cars
    04 BMW 545i-6 Sport

CD changer is stuck - does not pop out

I see the mechanical movement and the sound after the changer door opens, but the magazine does not pop out. tried moving it, etc, but no luck. any idea as how to get this out?
    04 745Li out of warranty, but under CPO which doesn't cover this

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 97 740i
    I had the same thing happen with my 06 750, took it to my dealer and had them reset it. Not sure if it is something than can be done otherwise. Mine works fine now and haven't had any further issues.

My Cars
    04 BMW 545i-6 Sport
    from asking around here in dallas, the odds are here that dealer can just replace the unit rather than repair it. does anyone know how to release the cartridge from the changer. I see things moving, but it does not pop out.

My Cars
    2002 745i
    Did you ever find a solution for this?

I am driven demented trying to get my changer out. Like that, it makes a sound and seems like it might come out but it's stuck fast.

My Cars
    04 BMW 545i-6 Sport
    none of the solutions listed worked for me. the darn thing would not pop out.

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    We have a special tool(surprise, surprise) that we use to release CD changer cartridges. Its a thin plastic piece that trips some sort of mechanical release. I can take a loot at it and see if it would be possible to make your own release tool.

kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    04 BMW 545i-6 Sport
    that would be nice. I've tried all sorts of knife, cards, etc sliding it all over the case and it will not release. I can see the mechanism moving back and forth, but will not eject.

funny thing is it was working perfect, and this happened without any warning.

My Cars
    2002 745i
    Bimmer8604, if you could take a picture of the tool so I could try to copy it or knew where I could order one I would be so grateful.

My Cars
    Black 2002 745Li, white 1997 740iL
    Have you already done a MOST bus reset (pulled out the ring in the fuse box in the glove compartment for a few secs)?

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    Sorry for late response. I did some looking around the shop today and found our CD cassette tool, unfortunately it didn't work on the e65... After about 30 minutes of searching on TIS I was still unable to find instructions/special tools to remove. Sounds like the best solution would be to remove the entire CD changer and release it manually.

Sorry for the downer!

Kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    2007 550i

Solved!!! (For me at least...)

I know the thread is old, but someone else will have this problem later and hopefully it helps them out. My front flap was opening, but the cassette would not eject. My CD Changer icon on the iDrive was greyed out and no amount of resetting would get anything working. I had resigned to just living without it and just using my recently added fm tuner mod aux in, but realized that my Anita Baker CD was stuck in there!! I tried the resets and fuse removals, but nothing worked. Here's what fixed it:

Grab a flashlight and open the front flap. I actually removed the two screws holding the black trim around the cassette, but I don't believe it is really necessary and the trim didn't come off anyway. If you look at the right side of the cassette, you should be able to see whichever CD slot is stuck sticking out. I grabbed a small screwdriver, pryed up on the CD slot, and magically it moved itself back in position and the cassette popped out. I did a MOST bus reset and everything is now working again.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745Li
    I have been reading on here of the different techniques used and tried, but to no avail. I though since the "CD" was greyed out on my control console, that the fuse must be blown. Finally found the fuse box in the glove box behind the drop down door. The engineers loved designing this to reek havoc on the poor ole mech, that didn't know about all the little tricks! Anyway, the fuse was not blown, so, checking once again the cartridge I could see No. 2 CD disk was hung. After, prying, forcing and talking sweetly, nothing. So, I came to the old pc once again to consult the forums. After reading roundrockmoe, I figured I would try the small screwdriver trick. Well, went back to the car, opened the door and heard the CD changer making noise, hit the eject button quickly and out popped the cartridge! Don't know what prompt it to, but it is out, so now I'm going to order a new cartridge as recommended. 1 more "item" worked off the list, now on to the trunk hydraulic system!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Whatever you do, don't go to the dealer and pay a dime until you try slipping a firm thin card in-between the cartridge and the holder to dislodge it. Simply slip the card in on the right side and move to the left nudging it along. It should pop out. You may have to try it with the car running as well.

Valencia BMW in California wanted to rip me off and charge me $165.00 to do this.