My Cars
    x5

Post Bmw x5 e53 2002 3.0 lift kit?

I have a bmw x5 2002 3.0i and i was wondering if anyone has ever put a lift kit on there x5? I planning on putting a 2 inch lift kit so i cant fit 30* or 35* nitto mud grapplers. The question is if it is possible

If you have pictures show ?
    Last edited by charlesx5; 11-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Please don't.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Good luck with that. Unibody vehicles with 4-wheel independent suspension are the most difficult and expensive to lift. I don't know a lot about lift-kits, but I imagine there's a reason that most vehicles that are lifted have solid axles front and rear. I Googled "X5 lifted" and various permutations of that phrase and found exactly 0 images of a lifted X5. Not that it can't be done....
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    i would be more concerned about the transfer case and trans holding up with the added weight and strain of the tires.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    '86 325"e", '95 540i/6
    it would be pretty awesome if you could do it. I would like to try it to.

for those comments above, most lifted vehicles have solid axles because its cheaper both for production and lifting, its simpler in design, it preforms better off road (providing better traction)

as far as the xfer case not taking the added strain of larger tire, i wouldnt worry about that much.

it doesnt seem that anyone offers a lift kit for the x5, however i think you could get away with some longer shock absorbers and an inch or 2 of spring spacers to lift it (an inch or 2)
    -Chris

My Cars
    M3, M3, 323is
    I was just wondering this myself. And this is what i found. And it looks just so sick!

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    I have been pondering this myself since I recieved the free 2001 x5 I have. At one point I was going to cut it up and make a luxo-rock crawler with solid axles front and rear. Suspension similar to a Jeep Cherokee. the "Frame" part of the unit body is very strong on the x5 and it seems strong enough to weld bracets (with some reineforcements) to support the link arms for suspension.

but your two inch lift, would be another problem all together. first off is the front suspension. the mounting points for the arms are also the front sub frame which holds the motor ect. you could in a pinch make some nice spacers to move the mounting points of the front arms down about 2-3 inches and reinforce them and then the front struts or air bags could be also spaced down with some aluminum spacers an equal distance, this would keep the suspension geometry like BMW set it. BUT.... doing it this way you will put the steering shafts from rack to knuckle at strange angles and would most likely cause a good death wobble or bump steer problem. you could relocate the rack and pinion below the subframe and mount it up but I would be leary of the steering angle from the column to the rack would be at this point.

the rear looks easier but still with challenges. once again the rear subframe is also the suspension mounting points with coil spring or air bags holding up the weight. you could machine some 2-3 inch spacers and move the entire assembly down 2-3 inches, then source some custom springs or use thick coil spring spacers like some jeep users use for the fronts of cherokees (cheap method). then you will run into the shocks on the rear being not long enough. once again more fab work.

then when all said and done your exhaust will want to occupy the same space as the now lower rear suspension is now. so more work.

if your rig has 4 wheel air then you can trick the system into staying in "off road" mode and gettting 1.75 inch out of it but your ride goes almost hard as a rock and the alingment goes all funky at the top setting for air suspension.

oh just to clarify, when I say move the suspenion down, I mean away from body to provide the lift.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    03 BMWx5

I attached a picture of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesx5 View Post
    I have a bmw x5 2002 3.0i and i was wondering if anyone has ever put a lift kit on there x5? I planning on putting a 2 inch lift kit so i cant fit 30* or 35* nitto mud grapplers. The question is if it is possible

If you have pictures show ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Too much LOL. I like it
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    03 BMWx5

Thanks!