Thread: Door lock cylinder swap problem...

My Cars
    1995 325ic

Door lock cylinder swap problem...

Need help As per the DIY posted on this forum, I'm in the middle of replacing my driver's door handle. I managed to get the old broken handle out and swap the original lock cylinder (tumbler) into the new (used) handle. When I removed the lock cylinder from the broken handle, a couple of the "wafers" fell out, and I was fairly certain I'd replaced them in the proper position. Now, with the original key and original lock cylinder installed in the undamaged handle, the key will only turn counterclockwise, unlocking the door. It will not turn clockwise to lock it. Obviously I'd like to solve this problem before I install the assembly back in the door. Could this be caused by the "wafers" or tumbler chips being incorrectly installed? It seems to me if they weren't in the right position the tumbler would not turn in either direction. Could I just have a bad handle from the salvage yard? Visually everything looks like it should be OK. Any insight is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    94 325IC,94 VIGOR
    yes tumblers could effect it try the 3 thatfell out in all postions, remember these r laser cut keys...if not yes you may have jus got a faulty cylinder in that cause do all locking from passenger door or install alrm to do it for u

My Cars
    1998 528i
    The original wafers and tumbler are more worn than the newer cylinder. On mine, after changing out like you've done, the tumbler will now not throw either way; but then my wafers and tumblers are from a car that is 3-4 years older than yours and thus likely just has that much more use. When the the key glides into the wafers, the inevitable wearing down of the wafer on the inside, that is, where the key and wafer interface, results in the wafer(s) not "drawing down" into the tumbler far enough to allow the tumbler to turn. You can tell which one(s) they are when you have the key in the tumbler and the tumbler removed from the cylinder; they stick up above the outside surface of the tumbler. The old cylinder was worn down at the same time too, as the wafers were turned against it. So there was no problem. It was when you changed the cylinder that the issue was introduced.

If the wafers were actually in the wrong location(s){in which case at least 2 would be incorrectly placed} you would likely not be able to turn the tumbler in the cylinder whatsoever...
    So you got a BMW, huh? Helps to be handy with tools!

1992 325i
    1997 318iC(RIP)
    1987 528e (parts runner)

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    I figured as much. I'll pull the tumbler out again and see if any of the wafers are sticking out. I did notice on the old door handle that the plastic cylinder that the tumbler sits in had some grooves worn in it. The undamaged handle does not. This may be yet another issue. Back to the workbench. Thanks for the advice...

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageAppraiser View Post
    Need help As per the DIY posted on this forum, I'm in the middle of replacing my driver's door handle. I managed to get the old broken handle out and swap the original lock cylinder (tumbler) into the new (used) handle. When I removed the lock cylinder from the broken handle, a couple of the "wafers" fell out, and I was fairly certain I'd replaced them in the proper position. Now, with the original key and original lock cylinder installed in the undamaged handle, the key will only turn counterclockwise, unlocking the door. It will not turn clockwise to lock it. Obviously I'd like to solve this problem before I install the assembly back in the door. Could this be caused by the "wafers" or tumbler chips being incorrectly installed? It seems to me if they weren't in the right position the tumbler would not turn in either direction. Could I just have a bad handle from the salvage yard? Visually everything looks like it should be OK. Any insight is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.
    damn, you may never get the lock cylinder out too, since you need to turn the key for it to disassemble. Sorry to hear.

i just removed my lock cylinders all together and used rear door handle trims in the front. I use my alarm to unlock the doors and the trunk lock if the battery ever dies, since the batt is in the trunk.
    Last edited by BMWMPow3r; 11-28-2009 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    well, you can use a set of picks from harbor freight and coax the tumbler out, PIA is all. I've considered trading out the wafers from the passenger door but tearing apart the door and handle is not only alot of work, but I know stuff is just gonna start bustin'. it'd be easier to walk a junk yard and take trunk locks apart looking for the right numbered wafer(s). I guess the stealer has a kit for sale with wafers to change out the bad ones too; I just hate feeding a bad habit.
    So you got a BMW, huh? Helps to be handy with tools!

1992 325i
    1997 318iC(RIP)
    1987 528e (parts runner)

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    Strange solution... Bimmerfeel, you were apparently correct. The wafers all seemed to be in the right spot, so I put everything back together. Still had unlock but no lock. On a whim, I tried the valet key and bam, unlock and lock. The combination of worn key, worn wafers, and grooves worn into the old plastic cylinder where the tumbler spins were a no go for clockwise turn in the new non-worn plastic cylinder. At this point, I think I'm just going to use the valet key until I decide how to resolve it. I guess the best solution is to buy a brand new tumbler with a brand new key and swap it into the used handle, if it's serviced as a separate part. I've been wanting to get another key with the push button light in it anyway, mine went bad a long time ago. Thanks for the insight guys. Now to settle a window issue I'm having after reassembling the door, I'm going to post that in the vert section...

My Cars
    e36, e39, e92
    how did you get the old lock cylinder out of the used handle?

My Cars
    1995 and 1994 325iC
    When I did mine, I had a lock place (the only place that could, here in Cincinnati) swap them for $35.
    Thanks,
    Bob

'95 325I Convertible Auto
    '94 325I Convertible 5sp.

My Cars
    e36, e39, e92
    that was what i was thinking....just hoped it was an easier way to do it at hoome.

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    Very easy to get the cylinder out of the handle, once the handle is out of the door. I think theres just a pin that you remove from the back side of the cylinder and it pops right out. There's a very good DIY somewhere on this site that explains the whole process, with good photos.

P.S. - Here's that DIY...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=709257
    Last edited by DamageAppraiser; 03-13-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost