Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st track day = nearly totalled ///M

My Cars
    '98 ///M Roadster

Unhappy 1st track day = nearly totalled ///M

after a few years of autoX i decided to kick it up a notch and drive at a track day at www.roadatlanta.com this past weekend and unfortunately ended up getting into a wall. now my '98 ///M Roadster is pretty badly damaged but excluded from insurance b/c it was on a track. repair estimates range from expensive to extremely expensive/totalled.

pretty much the whole front end is jacked. but otherwise the car is in mint condition with only 44k miles, the motor was unaffected, the wheels are in great shape, brand new rear tires, the interior is essentially perfect, new rear rotors/pads, all electronics work appropriately, garage-kept, non-smoker, etc. again, the engine still turns over and the car can slowly creep along (onto and off of tow trucks and parking spaces).

so my question is: if repair ends up out of the question, how would i go about selling a wrecked car (here vs autotrader vs local shop)? anyone interested in the car or know someone who may be?

thx,
    patrick

p.s. i'll be happy to post a pic with the hood up but it'll have to wait til after i get back in town after thxgiving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 ///M Roadster
    black on black
    bone stock

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    Whoops, looks like a wet track too so I guess it really wasn't a very good track day to begin with. Glad to see your alright. It could have been much worse. Which corner did you go off at?

My Cars
    Evergreen M Coupe
    That sucks man. I am scared of that exact thing. I cought my coupe with the plan to track it but every time that I step on the track I get chills down my spine from just thinking about crashing it into the wall.

How did you send it into a wall? what happened?

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that man. What a terrible thing to happen on your first track outing.

Before parting or anything I would explore legal avenues with your insurance. Was it a timed track day? Or can you somehow show it was a "driver education" school? This is the reason why BMWCCA schools are run in a very specific way.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    So sorry to hear that I would check:

a) how much a salvage yard would pay for it
    b) how much the repair would be.

I can't remember what that saying is but it basically says if you can't afford to lose, don't track it.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    '98 ///M Roadster
    turn 7 is essentially a hairpin turn to the right; it was rainy and i went it with too much power (apparently), so i oversteered then somehow hooked up and crossed over the track and hit the inside wall.

progressive insurance specifically says they don't cover "anything occuring at a permantant or temporary racetrack or raceway". so the untimed thing won't fly, i'm afraid.
    1998 ///M Roadster
    black on black
    bone stock

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    =( Sorry to see/hear man. Weather definitely wasn't in your favor either, especially for your first track outing.

Was ASC on when you lost it? Doubt it could do much in a situation like that either way, but curious if it was on.

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    ugh, and i know how much those hoods are... that's about $7000-$8000 worth of damage total, maybe less if the radiator support is ok, but i've seen a similar wreck and it was a lot.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 11-25-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliAgents1688 View Post
    =( Sorry to see/hear man. Weather definitely wasn't in your favor either, especially for your first track outing.

Was ASC on when you lost it? Doubt it could do much in a situation like that either way, but curious if it was on.
    '98s were prior to ASC.

Sorry to see this, as it's what has kept me from doing full on track days; I'm suspicious of my self-control...

I just can't resign myself to being able to walk away from a car after I've balled it up.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    ugh, and i know how much those hoods are... that's about $7000-$8000 worth of damage total
    For that amount of money, he should probably just sell it to a salvage yard and buy another one. Even when fixed, it will be a PITA trying to sell that car.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Part it out. Seems to be the way with these things, sadly.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Part it out. Seems to be the way with these things, sadly.
    Since it's stock, I'd probably try to sell the engine and call it day.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 - '07 Acura TL
    OUCH!!! That's enuff to make a grown man cry.

How's the under carraige? Or is just cosmetic damage - fenders, hood, bumper, etc?

The reason I ask is my daughter wrecked he car ( not a Z3 /M tho ) about the same way. Her boyfriend and I drove it to a local junk yard and just exchanged parts. Took about 4 weekends to do it. She then had it painted.

If the damage is too much to do that and you can wait for your money, then you can "part" it out by adverising in Craigs list or Ebay. You should be able to get a lot more money for it then selling it whole.

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    It's not too bad from the looks of it and if you take your time sourcing parts you could repair it for under $2k i bet.

Or
    a) buy an e30 and bribe locals with beer to help with the swap.
    b) Zionsville has had a Z3M rolling chassis on ebay for a while now for $3,500: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item3356f147d5
    Last edited by fritzintn; 11-25-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Dibs on the rear plastic window

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Sorry to hear. Glad you're okay. Doesn't even look like the airbag went off
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    '98s were prior to ASC.

Sorry to see this, as it's what has kept me from doing full on track days; I'm suspicious of my self-control...

I just can't resign myself to being able to walk away from a car after I've balled it up.
    Oh yeah, duhh

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    '96 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Wow sorry to hear!
    I'm always nervous when I take a car to the Ring (Nurburgring), but that's also a part of the kick. Never tracked the Z3, only my Peugeot 106 GTI, I think I'd drive like a grandpa in my Z3 on the Ring, to scared to crash it :-P

1996 BMW Z3 1.8 Roadster
    1999 Volvo V40 (DD)

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzintn View Post
    It's not too bad from the looks of it and if you take your time sourcing parts you could repair it for under $2k i bet.
    +1. I think this is mostly cosmetic. The air bags didn't go off. Unless the unibody frame is super tweaked, it's just a bumper, fenders, lights, and a hood. That hood could pop back pretty easily. A good body shop and pull almost anything out. It won't come out 100% perfect, but so what. That best part for you and the worst part for a buyer is you will still have a clean car fax! I've seen worse repaired. Now $2K is a little low, unless you do a lot of the work yourself as fritzintn says. A shop would charge you a lot more.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    e36/7/8's
    Quote Originally Posted by Feelgood MD View Post
    turn 7 is essentially a hairpin turn to the right; it was rainy and i went it with too much power (apparently), so i oversteered then somehow hooked up and crossed over the track and hit the inside wall.
    that bites. My very first track day was rainy, too, and there was a lot of water on the track. I was afraid of doing exactly that and ended up driving really on the cautious side, which also has its drawbacks. Did your instructor tell you to slow down before the turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    Don't fret, love, you're still at the top of the weirdo list and I <3 you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    I need to say something to get into einzlr's signature.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Part it, make some money back.

You can buy DE insurance that covers this sort of thing. My insurance carrier covers DE's although I doubt they would after the first "incident" haha

You can learn a lot with a wet track..sucks that it was your first outing though. I take it REAL easy in the rain, no fun in not driving home.
    Last edited by SamGrant951; 11-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    car,truck,bike,dog
    yikes. That sucks.

Glad you're ok.

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Oh boy...this sucks.

I really feel for you, I'm so sorry.

Here are my thoughts...

Sounds like you dropped two (outside) wheels and tried to steer it back (or kept the wheel locked in position) on the track and it slung across the track backwards, and continued to spin until it hit something.

Were you having fun prior? Would you do it (HPDE) again? Rebuild it as much as you have to so that you get it safe and continue to track it. Look at your front rails and see how bad they're bent. Either way, I'd get a quote for the heck of it from a shop.

Rain is a great tool to hone car control, not so much to learn it from scratch. Guys, don't fear rain...it's god's gift to track days. I just wish somehow it only rained on track and not in the paddock. You get all the thrill, even more, with less speed and less wear on your consumables.

Good luck getting it straighten out.
    Last edited by Car54; 11-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Or snow, probably even easier to learn car control

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe
    Wow, this really sucks, on your very first track day. Glad you're ok. Looks like the same lesson I learned: Track day + rain = nevermind, go home. There's always another track day...

As for the damage, I say, if there's no underlying frame damage, then repair it, learn from this experience, and roll on!
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Removed: spare/jack/tool kit/fog lights/A/C/knee bolsters/center cargo bulkhead/subwoofer housing/rear wiper/trunk floor
    Forbes diff mount/trunk floor reinforcement
    Forbes custom bolt-in rollbar
    Whalen Shift Machine and billet hood release handle
    TCK S/A coilovers
    16" x 9" BBS E26 3-piece magnesium racing rims
    Unorthodox crank & alternator pulleys
    3.0 300mm discs with PF pads and braided stainless lines
    Shift light & MZ3 shifter
    Momo steering wheel
    lightweight motorcycle battery
    Corbeau seats
    IE subframe bushings