Thread: E34 530i center drag link

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70

E34 530i center drag link

Hey yall, has anyone changed the center drak link on their 5 series e34 front end.
    Ive got a new one and noticed that one of the ball joints is stationary and
    the other is moveable. Off the top b4 I start pulling, can anyone confirm which side goes to the idler arm and which to the driver side. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    95 318ti, 92 325i, 97 M3
    When you remove it then it will be obvious. If I remember right the ball joint end attaches to the gear and the bolt end goes to the idler arm.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    ^ True, it will be obvious. And what he said. And make sure to attach the pitman side first before you attach the idler arm side.
    demet

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    Ok, I'll pay close attention. Thanks for the quick response guys. whats the benefit of attaching the pitman side first.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    If you do the idler arm side first, there won't be any swivel to get the pitman arm side on.
    demet

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    IIRC the tabs on the sides point backwards when positioned correctly. You will be able to check this when disassembling. My advice is to undo the nut on the pitman arm side and pop that ball joint then pull the bolt out of the idler arm and remove the entire assembly, with the parts off the car it will be a little easier to remove the idler arm or just reassemble the new idler arm and center link before getting back under the car.

I highly recommend this tool http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html . It will make the job much easier use plenty of penetrating oil and put some grease on the threads of the tool for the first time use. Since using one of those forks with a hammer might damage your steering gear.

During reassembly make sure to get the torque on the idler arm bolt correct or your steering will be either too loose or stiff and make cause steering system issues. Its in the Bentley manual.
    Last edited by ptam; 01-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    The only way you're going to have stiffness in the idler arm that is sensitive to bolt torque is if you get the badly built idler arms that are floating around out there. I had to send two back because they were seized out of the box. lemforder is the only way to go on these. If you can't do this on yours then you got a bad one.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=idler007.mp4
    Last edited by demetk; 01-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    demet

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    Mine was tightened to 42 ft lbs originally and the steering was way too stiff. Loosened and tightened back to 32 ft lbs and steering was perfect. I overdid it by 25% so it can make a difference.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    As I said above if you need to adjust the torque to get it right you have a defective idler arm. It's your car though.
    demet