eBMWParts

Thread: e39 and e38 suspension?

My Cars
    The whole car lot

e39 and e38 suspension?

So i can't seem to find a definite answer to the ? will e39 shocks and struts fit e38? I am not discussing the weight difference or anything else just bolt on ability. I see that Fluid Motor Union recomends people to put in 540i sport susp. in e38 and has it in one of their cars but is it an easy swap or do you have to swap arms bushings and all? Thanx

My Cars
    The whole car lot
    Surely someone must know?

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    It works, it's the same setup.

Are you looking for coilovers?
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    The whole car lot
    You got it! I need some cheap coilovers, springs aren't low enough and I dont want to cut springs unless I have so I thought about trying Racelands I can only find e39 on google and its in spanish.LOL, $18-2000 isnt an option so lets not make this Tc vs Raceland thread I know they are not the best thats not what I am after. Jack have you seen Racelands for e39? Like I said I have seen them advertised but not from a U.S. supplier.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Never seen them, nor would I buy them. Link me to the site please.

Look into Megan Racing. Its what I have now and they go LOOOOOWWWW.

Look on eBay for E39 coilovers, plenty around for sub $1000 that are decent and will hold up.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    The whole car lot
    See if this works Jack
    http://www.leiloes.net/COILOVERS-Rac...uction_details - Cached

If not if you google "e39 raceland coilovers" On the first or second page you will see Promaco or something like that and its mexican ebay I think and they have em.

My Cars
    The whole car lot
    Anyone else know for sure that the suspensions are interchangable for sure?

My Cars
    pralryabivity

e39 and e38 suspension

I got home tonight and my friend called and told me this morning at open, he was using BF to upgrade himself to the XBox Elite, the black one.
    He got his and ran to the register just so he could avoid the lines, when they rang him up, he saw the price and knew that thier was something a miss, he asked if he could get a 2nd rang up and the clerk ran up a 2nd and had the bagger go get a 2nd. As soon as he return he said he nearly ran out the door. He got 2 Xbox 360 Elites for the price of the 299.99 each. nevermind the clerk missed it, but the clerk also rang up a 2nd one for the 299.99 as well, when they should not have. Now my friend is going to post it online for sale at the regular price. Too bad BB, should have trained those seasonal employees better.

My Cars
    E46 M3, MKV GTI
    Technically then, couldn't you bolt an M5 suspension onto an E38? Or is the geometry different than a regular E39.

Also, if you just want to go low, FK make coilover kits designed for the E38. They're right around 900-1100 dollars and a bunch of members are running them with great results.
    Last edited by Rakshas; 12-06-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by pralryabivity View Post
    I got home tonight and my friend called and told me this morning at open, he was using BF to upgrade himself to the XBox Elite, the black one.
    He got his and ran to the register just so he could avoid the lines, when they rang him up, he saw the price and knew that thier was something a miss, he asked if he could get a 2nd rang up and the clerk ran up a 2nd and had the bagger go get a 2nd. As soon as he return he said he nearly ran out the door. He got 2 Xbox 360 Elites for the price of the 299.99 each. nevermind the clerk missed it, but the clerk also rang up a 2nd one for the 299.99 as well, when they should not have. Now my friend is going to post it online for sale at the regular price. Too bad BB, should have trained those seasonal employees better.

Cool story bro.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    The whole car lot
    uh ya thhanx for the xbox story! so the suspensions are switchable then?

My Cars
    99 E38 (True Sport)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW TUNING View Post
    So i can't seem to find a definite answer to the ? will e39 shocks and struts fit e38? I am not discussing the weight difference or anything else just bolt on ability. I see that Fluid Motor Union recomends people to put in 540i sport susp. in e38 and has it in one of their cars but is it an easy swap or do you have to swap arms bushings and all? Thanx

I am seeking the answer to the same question as well. What I did find is it looks like the struts on the e38 are L/R specific versus the e39 which look to be the same. I have eibach springs at the house that I was going to install on the 7 until i said forget it I'll dump it on coils. At this point the price of Bilstiens with lowering springs are about the same price as coilovers. If i can use a coilover setup for an e39 that would be even sweeter $300 discount. If no one answers this soon i'll check for sure once i get back in country. The answer to this question is killing me.About spring rates 540i and 740i/il should be about the same up front due to the added weight of the m62 motor. At least thinking about it from a logical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RASKAL007 View Post
    I am seeking the answer to the same question as well. What I did find is it looks like the struts on the e38 are L/R specific versus the e39 which look to be the same. I have eibach springs at the house that I was going to install on the 7 until i said forget it I'll dump it on coils. At this point the price of Bilstiens with lowering springs are about the same price as coilovers. If i can use a coilover setup for an e39 that would be even sweeter $300 discount. If no one answers this soon i'll check for sure once i get back in country. The answer to this question is killing me.About spring rates 540i and 740i/il should be about the same up front due to the added weight of the m62 motor. At least thinking about it from a logical perspective.

Please correct me if i'm wrong on the left right specific thing this is a link to the site where i tried to make the comparisson

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/
    Last edited by RASKAL007; 11-13-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 bmw 740il
    im guessing no one knows the definite answer to this question? i looked and the both seem to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 7euros View Post
    im guessing no one knows the definite answer to this question? i looked and the both seem to be the same.
    Hi so did you go ahead. Are they the same?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL
    I just got a PM about this today from an unrelated thread. I bought my e38 from Vorshlag motorsports in TX. While it was their daily driver, they fit the e38 with Bilstein PSS/B14 coilovers that were otherwise meant for an e39. It was -nearly- bolt on. They used e39 shock mounts in front, and needed to grind a teeny bit off the rear shocks to make them fit. Something like that. I may have front/rear reverse, and may be missing a detail. But it was done, and they ride great. Get in touch with Terry Fair about the details. This work was done ~4 years ago though and there has probably been 1000 projects since this one, so he might not recall.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...t=vorshlag+e38
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/m...php?15924-Fair

modernbeat is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Caged
    I recall that we had to turn down the diameter of the front struts. I don't remember if that was to fit the front knuckle, or to adjust the height properly. But there was definitely lathe work done to the strut housing.

Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag