Thread: after alignment car seems to liek to wonder and drives not so nice

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer

after alignment car seems to liek to wonder and drives not so nice

got my alignment done on my old tires, recently had my ps2 put on and not the car drives like shit, steering is sloppy, seems to wonder on the roads especially freshly paved one..... the dude showed me the spec sheet and everything was green. the thing is that when i first picked the car up with the old tires i dont recall having these issues now with the ps2's the car is all over the place. also i think it is pulling to the right. any ideas?

oh ya, new tie rods, sway bar links, 25k on h&r coilovers, new strut hats, rogue rsms, poly rtabs, new rear balljoints, 25 k front ball joints when i jack the car up their is ZERO play in either wheel.....

My Cars
    98 Mustang GT
    Have the alignment done again?

I had mine done every time I got new tires or wheels on my old car.

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    thats what i figured...... the worst part is that now i need to remove my splitters AGAIN...... and watch them pull the car in, wtf. i think i am going to just go some were else where i wont need to baby sit the operator... but this sounds like an alignment thing?

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Post your alignment specs.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    meh, i would need to find it, this was liek two weeks ago

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 96bmwcosmosm3 View Post
    meh, i would need to find it, this was liek two weeks ago
    Two weeks...I've still got mine from 5 years ago.
    Keep them in the Bentley or your owner's portfolio/case.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I happen to wander if its more of an owner problem.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    don't be sarcastic. lol
    Last edited by Balthazarr; 11-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    yet again another pointless post........ my sincerest apologies for using the wrong spelling.

anyway, i usually do, i have my other two from the last 5 years, but i knew i was going to be getting the car re aligned after i did the rest of the bushings in the sub frame.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Definitely need to see your alignment specs. Showing everything green on the alignment printout only means that the parameters are within the range of spec tolerances. That still leaves a lot of fudge room. Silly question but you've checked your tire pressures already, correct? Also, some tires will tend to wander or follow road imperfections more than others (I don't have personal experience with PS2s though).

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'll take a stab and ask about the tire belts...are any loose?

Is the subframe solid?
    Last edited by Balthazarr; 11-19-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E30 S50
    Did you ask for stock specs or go for one of the more aggressive alignments often recommended here? Aggressive alignment can cause wandering, especially toe.

So, another for the "needs to see numbers" camp.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    So with the old tires the car drove fine and now you've done nothing but get new tires and the car feels terrible?

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    well one of my exclaims had the inside tire worn plus was trouble shooting wheel shimmy. i dont travel much on the highway now a days since i moved, so didnt really notice right away if the car wandered on the old tires it seemed fine, but still shimmied, so i put on spare wheels same thing on the roads jsut not as bad ( 205/50/17 e46 oem conti) put once i put on the pilot sports and got the wheels re balanced thats when i noticed the car wandered all over the road at high way speeds.......untill i put the pilots on i avoided high ways.. idk... it seems liek the more i drive or warmer the tires get the worse it wanders. and all tires have even 34lbs cold.

also before doing the tie rods and did alignment car drove straight as an arrow. idk, i guess i will see if i can just get a front alignment....
    Last edited by 96bmwcosmosm3; 11-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I'd find a better shop to do the alignment. Also search for the Alignment thread here and have a good read.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    this is what i told them to do,

Front
    Camber: -2.5 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0
    Rear
    Camber: -1.5 to -2 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0.20 total toe in (IIRC this is 1/8" total toe in)

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I'd say that's a fairly aggressive alignment. -2.5 camber and zero toe up front will naturally be more darty and wander more than stock. When I had my Miata I was running -2.0 and zero toe all around... and I couldn't sneeze in that car without changing lanes. At the track though the turn-in and cornering balance felt good. You have to find settings that work for your intended use. If you drive mostly on freeways then you might prefer something closer to stock specs. Otherwise the more aggressive alignments will generally trade straight line stability and tire wear for better handling.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 96bmwcosmosm3 View Post
    this is what i told them to do,

Front
    Camber: -2.5 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0
    Rear
    Camber: -1.5 to -2 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0.20 total toe in (IIRC this is 1/8" total toe in)
    Get that neg camber reduced up front.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E30 S50
    That is almost exactly where my current alignment is. I may have slightly more aggressive camber up front, but not much if any. I went there from about -2 degrees camber in the front and ~.20 toe in on the front. (I don't remember what the rear was before). It went from being perfectly stable over road bumps and changes to being very squirrely. That is to be expected though and I feel is a fair trade off for better cornering. If you don't like the random darting you'll have to switch back to a standard alignment.