Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rearview Mirror w /HomeLink.

My Cars
    05 LS430

Rearview Mirror w /HomeLink.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket rearview mirror with HomeLink built in. Just wondering if this is a simple swap or if there is any significate modification involved.
    Bankswood

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    You have to configure 3 or 4 wires on the early cars, Done it 3 years ago, Opens the garage door and make a killer Lcd with the clown nose for your alarm, Great upgrade! My car is a 92, Your car may be easier and might just be plug and play other than programming the garage opener.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Is that the Homelink plate installed in the removeable panel?

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes. However a slight modification is needed. Following are the UGDO Installation files from Dr. T that I used (I had to modify the pages and break it into 3 parts for the attachment restrictions). Please note that it is a Garage Door opener (GDO) and not a full homelink. Another small homelink device can be installed the same way with the same wire taps to the other side of the Sunroof Switch (What I did to balance out).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ahmed303; 11-18-2009 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Nice wriet up and great job! Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    1995 840ci
    along the same lines of the Z3 UGDO Modification ~ I bought the dremel tool 1 year ago and have never found a Z3 homelink available to purchase! Ebay currently has nothing and Local BMW dealer says they aren't to be found. Ideas?

Second...anyone use the E39 overhead light in their E31? I love the two BMW orange spots that shine down on the console and thought that would be a great addition to the E31 interior

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I'm about to do this mod and have discovered a few things...

>...have never found a Z3 homelink available to purchase! Ebay currently has
    > nothing and Local BMW dealer says they aren't to be found. Ideas?

According to my research, the Z3 Homelink module has been discontinued (p/n 82111470399) which includes the wiring connector, along with all other Homelink modules for ALL other BMW's. Dealer have some remaining stock of replacement modules only (p/n 61318380869) but they are quite expensive (about $191). Your best bet is to visit a salvage yard in your area (if one exists) and snip a complete assembly from the headliner of any 5 or 7 series.

Furthermore, the Z3 module is meant for console mount and requires adaptation to fit in the headliner of our 8's. Instead I have obtained a unit from the headliner of a 5 series, and I'm hoping it'll fit without the modification outlined in Dr T's write-up. We'll see.

RE: Homelink mirror:

ALL Homelink mirrors have been discontinued - why, I don't know - just like the module. They would be really cool and plug-n-play for many 8's. Especially cool is the Homelink mirror with integral digital compass (p/n 51169151852). It was very expensive new though (list $811.46)...really like to find one of those.

And talking about headliner switches, I'd also like to swap our sunroof switch for the E39 5'er switch. It is a 5 position switch instead of our 3, making it much easier to perform an auto-close by feel instead of the usual ambigious "stab" method. However, the wiring is not plug-n-play and it is a different size (smaller length) which would require a panel mod.

>..anyone use the E39 overhead light in their E31? I love the two BMW orange spots that shine down on the console...

Hummm...I didn't think of this; a great idea! What year was this available? I'll look into this when I do my Homelink mod...and will prolly do a write-up.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    ALL Homelink mirrors have been discontinued - why, I don't know
    My guess would be that they realized 90% of owners end up not using them. (Too lazy to program, or they have a rolling-code opener that's too many steps to program, or they flat out have a device that is incompatible.) BMW probably sees it as a waste of resources trying to stay ahead of the curve on such niche technologies.

And I agree with you on the sunroof button! I have an e46 also, so having the same-looking switch work in such a different (and odd) way is slightly annoying.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    ...fwiw, Homelink Mirrors are on Ebay and work great with 2 openers programed, The compass is nice too, No problems for 3 years, Bought it for $85.00 on the bay, It fits right on our oem mirror mount on the windshield. I like how the power for the GDO is disabled wihen there's no power to the car. It's very easy to do, I will post the pin outs if someone needs them.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    I ended up using the Z3 UGDO mod. I liked it better to fill up the spot panel of the headliner.
    pulled mine from an e38 IIRC
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    1995 840ci

Furthermore, the Z3 module is meant for console mount and requires adaptation to fit in the headliner of our 8's. Instead I have obtained a unit from the headliner of a 5 series, and I'm hoping it'll fit without the modification outlined in Dr T's write-up. We'll see.

>..anyone use the E39 overhead light in their E31? I love the two BMW orange spots that shine down on the console...

Hummm...I didn't think of this; a great idea! What year was this available? I'll look into this when I do my Homelink mod...and will prolly do a write-up.
    I seem to recall the Z3 module was the preference because of size/thickness over the 5-series modules. There is very limited space for this custom cut that must be done to the headliner panel in the E31.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    According to my research, the Z3 Homelink module has been discontinued (p/n 82111470399) which includes the wiring connector, along with all other Homelink modules for ALL other BMW's. Dealer have some remaining stock of replacement modules only (p/n 61318380869) but they are quite expensive (about $191). Your best bet is to visit a salvage yard in your area (if one exists) and snip.
    Yes! They do pop up on e-bay time to time. I got mine from e-bay and done one for a friend by getting the Z3 unit form an online junkyard ($20 + $3 shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by larrystiver View Post
    I seem to recall the Z3 module was the preference because of size/thickness over the 5-series modules. There is very limited space for this custom cut that must be done to the headliner panel in the E31.
    Somewhat correct. It was the increased thickness (The internal circuit board is raised) and the absense of the harness.

Frankie,

Since you are doing some research, could you please check into the adaptability of the mood lighting from a Jaguar X-Type? From the looks it may work.
    Last edited by Ahmed303; 11-19-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    There is a confusing and bewildering array of part numbers for the Homelink mirror. As far as I can tell, there are two of interest:

1) p/n 51160304488 - large red "clown nose", compass display in always-visible rectangular background of upper right corner.

2) p/n 51169151852 - smaller, flat "clown nose", compass display without visible rectangular background.

eBay prices seem to hover between $350-$450 (without compass: $200).

I'd say #2 is more desireable since the alarm light's "clown nose" won't be used on our 8's (unless you re-route the center console alarm light). And the stealth compass display looks better. On these part numbers are MANY variations depending on your car's options. This seems to make the proposition of a mirror retrofit more complicated.

8eights.....

Since I don't have the e39 Bentley wiring diagrams, a post of the pin-outs from your mod would be helpful. The wiring diagram below shows that 8's (from '95) have 3 existing mirror wires (hot, ground, & reverse signal):

If the Homelink mirror is truly plug-n-play it may be worth the expense. Otherwise, the headliner module is much more cost-effective.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    This is where i wired into, This is the Mirrors side of wiring!

Pin
    1 + Reverse
    2 Not used
    3 + Switched
    4 Not used
    5 Not used
    6 Not used
    7 Not used
    8 + from alarm LED
    9 - from alarm LED
    10 - Ground

I heard of E31's with the clown nose already on there mirror, Were plug and play and some needed to ad 1 wire, On my 92 i had to wire it all, Took 30 minutes, There is also a harness available to do this, I made my own from a 10 pin plug, Easy since i only used four pins.

Below is the type of mirror i used, It sits directly on the oem mirror mount as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    ...This is the Mirrors side of wiring!

Pin
    1 + Reverse
    2 Not used
    3 + Switched
    4 Not used
    5 Not used
    6 Not used
    7 Not used
    8 + from alarm LED
    9 - from alarm LED
    10 - Ground
    Cool. It looks like the pin-outs are indeed plug-n-play - but only if the connector is also a direct fit. A few more questions:

1) Does your clown nose work? If so, you must have re-routed the center console mounted alarm light to pins 8 and 9, right? But then the console mounted light becomes superfluous....

2) Your mirror seems to be without compass. Do you know if the compass works off power pin 3 or does it require additional wiring?
    Last edited by Frankie; 11-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    The clown nose is connected to a aftermarket alarm, Wired up the pillar, The Compass mirror i have is from a E90, It plugs right in and works. I think your referring to the older mirrors with the etch on the upper right, Those work great and are priced more resonable, These have a cleaner look and just light up without the dark etch. If you get this model, You will receive it with a smaller and flatter clown nose, This one was replaced.
    Last edited by 8eights; 11-21-2009 at 02:20 AM.

My Cars
    1995 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Yes! They do pop up on e-bay time to time. I got mine from e-bay and done one for a friend by getting the Z3 unit form an online junkyard ($20 + $3 shipping).

Somewhat correct. It was the increased thickness (The internal circuit board is raised) and the absense of the harness.

Frankie,

Since you are doing some research, could you please check into the adaptability of the mood lighting from a Jaguar X-Type? From the looks it may work.
    Faisal...a good friend just dropped off an E39 panel with the UGDO and sunroof switch for me to play with. While the absense of harness can be worked around, I am wondering if you know if the internal circuit board dimensions will cause the transmitter to bulge in the panel after install is complete?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sorry for kicking this back up, but I guess I did use the search.

I wonder if anybody finished fitting one of these compass mirrors to his E31 as this will likely make it work on my E36 too.

The thing is, the mirror works with a switched +12v and ground and the additional reverse light wire. Auto-dimm and compass will work then.

The main problem is, the remote control receiver is also inside the mirror if you have a factory alarm and I can't figure out which wire is that. My guess is a red wire as this would indicate an always-live +12v as the remote control must always work.

Another things is, my E36 (factory) auto-dimm mirror has all 10 pins used, the much, much newer compass mirror (flat nose) only has 9. That would almost sound if it will never work.
    And this is pin 2 that is not taken, which corresponds to a red wire on my mirror side.

PS: For those that didn't know already: There is another fairly big difference in between the 2 model of compass mirrors. Yes, we all know one has the black always-visible display and the later one the (very nice) hidden one.

Only lately I realized that the big difference between those 2 displays, is that the always-visible one, uses the classic LCD display, like most alarm clock, where there are 7 bars that make up all numbers/letters, now the hidden display, has a dot-matrix display, 100% matching the OBC/factory HU/climate control (on E36) dot-matrix displays. AS far as I can tell, the LCD display is more of a red, while the hidden display is the exact matching BMW orange/amber color.
    Which, imo, is utterly cool.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    The main problem is, the remote control receiver is also inside the mirror....my E36 (factory) auto-dimm mirror has all 10 pins used...
    In my experience, compass mirrors should NOT be installed in any car with a factory alarm. The compass will work, but since the alarm systems are incompatible, your keyless entry system won't (neither will the "clown nose" light).

Wiring diagrams are in the Bentley manual for your E36. I found that not all alarm system wiring is published in Bentley, maybe for security reasons. E31 alarm wiring is not complete either. It's hard to believe there are 10 wires in our mirrors.

See my write-up for more.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    In my experience, compass mirrors should NOT be installed in any car with a factory alarm. The compass will work, but since the alarm systems are incompatible, your keyless entry system won't (neither will the "clown nose" light).

Wiring diagrams are in the Bentley manual for your E36. I found that not all alarm system wiring is published in Bentley, maybe for security reasons. E31 alarm wiring is not complete either. It's hard to believe there are 10 wires in our mirrors.

See my write-up for more.
    The mirror only hold the receiver. I'm trying to find what wire does what on both mirrors.

The led does work, I already have it going. It's not that hard. pin 9 on the compass mirror is the +12v for the led. I simply reroute the original +12v's led to pin 9 on the mirror and that's it. Looks like the pin 10 ground wire is the ground for all functions, unless (have to check) the original wire on pin 8 (which could be the leds ground pin) is another ground wire. Although I'm sureit would have to be a brown wire, which it is not. Will have to verify with the wiring of the original led.

Everything is working, except the remote control.
    Last edited by MParallel; 04-19-2010 at 04:23 AM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    This is the Mirrors side of wiring!

Pin
    1 + Reverse
    2 Not used
    3 + Switched
    4 Not used
    5 Not used
    6 Not used
    7 Not used
    8 + from alarm LED
    9 - from alarm LED
    10 - Ground.
    Has anyone determined what the 10 pins in the car wiring harness connector are for?

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Depends on what year the car is, I don't believe all 10 are used, Not on my cars anyway.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by radlaw View Post
    Has anyone determined what the 10 pins in the car wiring harness connector are for?
    Like 8eights wrote; that depends on the model year. For your 1995 E31 the pin layout is:

• Pin 1: reverse/backup signal for automatic dimming
    • Pin 2: permanent 12 V
    • Pin 3: switched 12 V (accessories)
    • Pin 4: diagnostic interface TXD
    • Pin 5: interface to general module
    • Pin 6: interface to general module, EWS immobilizer and DWA alarm system
    • Pin 7: not used
    • Pin 8: diagnostic interface RXD
    • Pin 9: interface to DWA alarm system
    • Pin 10: ground

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    You have to configure 3 or 4 wires on the early cars, Done it 3 years ago, Opens the garage door and make a killer Lcd with the clown nose for your alarm, Great upgrade! My car is a 92, Your car may be easier and might just be plug and play other than programming the garage opener.
    What mirror (part #) did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast