Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's the e46 LS swap???

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3

where's the e46 LS swap???

been waiting over two years..last year nahrods gave me a 2009 teaser / expected release..

I dont know whats going on on this front, any progress anywhere?

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    I sent an email asking how it was developing, i recieved this reply.

Quote Originally Posted by New Age Hot Rods 10/12/2009
    Thanks for your interest, Your correct on we are not releasing it till its perfect, we are currently working out issues with wiring between e46 models.

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    thanks man. must be a pita indeed with all the wiring.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4 Cosmos
    I think the E46 wagon with an LS1 six speed would be the perfect car. Godspeed.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    I think the E46 wagon with an LS1 six speed would be the perfect car. Godspeed.
    Apparently so thought someone else...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hefftone; 11-23-2009 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4 Cosmos
    Does anyone know any specifics? Will the Vorshlag or NAH e36 headers fit the E46? Does a new steering shaft have to be made up? Will the E46 AC be easy to integrate to the LS1 via bracketry? Is there adequate room to run the exhaust? What do you think will be the biggest hurdle in getting a swap kit out? (Electronics no doubt)

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    I recall somebody on these boards saying there is about 2" more clearance between the shock towers on the E46 vs. E36. Hopefully that will make things easier around the steering shaft and brake booster, but there's no guarantee, yet.
    NAH has been very tight lipped about the entire swap, I have not seen any details emerge regarding fitment. I wait with great anticipation to see what they come up with. They are supposed to be putting together a turbo kit as well.

Somebody has a E46 M3 with LS swap on YouTube... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnGTW9aMr8[/ame] skip to 2:22 for engine bay shot. Followed by dyno pulls, but no numbers.
    Last edited by hefftone; 11-24-2009 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    As expected a "christmas tree" on the dash, but its a damn running e46-LSx. Very nice!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    1998 M3/4 Cosmos
    Too bad about the Music they make you listen to. I think we are nearing the end of an era with this swap. Probably won't be allowed to do such a thing in 5 years time...or sooner where I live.

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    If you don't bother with the E46 cluster would it be a lot easier? Say for example you just integrate in a race cluster that mates to the standard LS series harness?

All I would like is to retain is ABS, and I guess power to the climate control...

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by Maersk View Post
    If you don't bother with the E46 cluster would it be a lot easier? Say for example you just integrate in a race cluster that mates to the standard LS series harness?

All I would like is to retain is ABS, and I guess power to the climate control...
    Why not disassemble the gauges, and put a piece of black tape over the light? It's basically non-funtional anyway.

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Why not disassemble the gauges, and put a piece of black tape over the light? It's basically non-funtional anyway.
    yeah I was just figuring, with one of those universal clusters you see in track cars you would be able to monitor all the things you want still, temps etc.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by Maersk View Post
    yeah I was just figuring, with one of those universal clusters you see in track cars you would be able to monitor all the things you want still, temps etc.
    I'm not real sure what the deal is, but with the system being a CAN BUS, i guess the gauges somewhat rely on the ecu, which without the engine being present spazzes out and throws code. I've heard some folks say that the HVAC controls and possibly other stuff could be connected too, which to me sounds unlikely but then again....its a bmw .
    I really like the E46, mainly because of the updated interior. Since that's where I spend all my time anyway. I'm still sorta torn between having an LSx in my E36 M3, or in a regular E46. I suppose if i found clean E46 cheap enough and swapped an LSx, I doubt I would have any problems parting with my E36.

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    I'm not real sure what the deal is, but with the system being a CAN BUS, i guess the gauges somewhat rely on the ecu, which without the engine being present spazzes out and throws code. I've heard some folks say that the HVAC controls and possibly other stuff could be connected too, which to me sounds unlikely but then again....its a bmw .
    I really like the E46, mainly because of the updated interior. Since that's where I spend all my time anyway. I'm still sorta torn between having an LSx in my E36 M3, or in a regular E46. I suppose if i found clean E46 cheap enough and swapped an LSx, I doubt I would have any problems parting with my E36.
    I just love the way the e46 feels(driving) compared to the e36, but its heavy you know? So we need that LS...

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    how much do you think an entire swap would cost once its available?

7 grand? bit steep for me, but Im wondering if it would be about that.

My Cars
    The BMW's been sold.....
    bump, need some more info on this stuff. I think it would be a great swap for a e46 sedan. Who was the one doing the wiring??? Anyone have any solid info on this swap??? Would love to take this on.........

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
    bump, need some more info on this stuff. I think it would be a great swap for a e46 sedan. Who was the one doing the wiring??? Anyone have any solid info on this swap??? Would love to take this on.........
    New Age Hotrods (they sponsor the engine conversions sub-forum, see banner above) is developing a swap kit for E46's. From what I can tell, they seem to be working on electronics, and they won't release the kit (nor info) until they get it perfect. NAH's stuff looks top notch, and its not cheap. I would imagine when they are done, the car will act as if it came with an LS1 from the factory.
    Every once in a while, I will spend a few hours searching for E46 LS swaps...usually nothing new comes up. Personally, I would'nt mind if the check engine light was on....hell, my car is stock, and that GD light is always on anyways!

My Cars
    1998 540i
    The problem isn't that the check engine light would be on The issue is that with a CAN system a lot of components are controlled by the netowrk so it is not easy to change their control. for example, in the e46, the tach is controlled by the network so you can't just feed it an analog signal from the GM PCM. Same goes for the HVAC system.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    The BMW's been sold.....
    New Age Hotrods (they sponsor the engine conversions sub-forum, see banner above) is developing a swap kit for E46's. From what I can tell, they seem to be working on electronics, and they won't release the kit (nor info) until they get it perfect. NAH's stuff looks top notch, and its not cheap. I would imagine when they are done, the car will act as if it came with an LS1 from the factory.
    Every once in a while, I will spend a few hours searching for E46 LS swaps...usually nothing new comes up. Personally, I would'nt mind if the check engine light was on....hell, my car is stock, and that GD light is always on anyways!
    Yeah I seen that they were working on a kit for 2010. I thought there was another member who did it on their own. I wish they could give us some kind of update on the project to see if they are still moving forward to completion.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4 Cosmos
    Day after tomorrow is 2010 if I am correct. Hopefully they will have some complete $3000 kit ready to ship by Monday!!

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Day after tomorrow is 2010 if I am correct. Hopefully they will have some complete $3000 kit ready to ship by Monday!!
    LS7 in E46! WOOT!

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    IIRC, this kit was originally supposed to come out at the end of 2008, so there have been some delays. Don't order your LS7 crate yet!
    Last edited by hefftone; 12-31-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: smiley

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    haha! Yeah I remember that. Lol, no worries, I couldn't afford an LS7 anyways.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
    Someone donate a nice e46 4 door chassis to me and I'll move my LS1 Engine over and provide some "solid info" I like blue with Tan interior.

I actually saw an E46 listed cheap locally but it was gone before I got to it.

My Cars
    CB e46 BMW M3
    someone here in LA just put an S65 into an e46 m3....hope to get pics or videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast