RM European Auto Parts

Thread: how to prep/clean an old gas tank.

My Cars
    E60, E83, '74 2K2

how to prep/clean an old gas tank.

Got around to setting up my track car ('74 2002). It has been sitting for several years before i bought it. After taking out the fuel, i find rust and other crap in the tank.

What needs to be done to take care of this?

I purchased some rust remover from autozone and have been sloshing it around and sitting for about 14 hours. its only about a pint of fluid.

What other things should be done to get the inside of the tank ready for gas?
    THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE

E60 535
    E36 M3/4/5
    '74 2002
    '71 2002-show(MA)

Porsche Cayenne TT- sold
    330I ZHP ~DD-sold
    e36-Sold
    '74 2002tii-track-sold
    e34- sold

My Cars
    87 325is
    Here's one way...

A twenty year old car with a steel gas tank can have a surprising amount of
    rust in the tank. That rust can and will clog the pump inlet screens and
    filter and cause the high pressure pump to have a short life. While a
    new tank will certainly fix that, you can clean and seal the tank for a lot
    less money.

My 87 325is suffered from this. The car ran fine on the street but the first
    time I took it to the track for a test & tune it was as if the car had a soft
    rev limiter that decreased by 500-700rpm per lap. Some particulate matter did
    come out of the tank when I drained the gas, but with the in-tank pump out I
    could see a layer of crud in the bottom of the tank that was about an 1/8"
    deep. On the track that stuff got stirred up, clogged the inlet screens &
    filter, and starved the engine. It also ate up the internals of the high
    pressure pump. Rust is a fairly abrasive material.

The first attempt at a fix was to have the tank acid dipped and install new
    pumps & filter. Either they didn't leave the tank in long enough or the acid
    was a bit depleted, but the result was less than satifactory as the next time
    I had the car on the track the high pressure pump started buzzing and I ran
    into the same starvation issue.

After taking the tank out again and sloshing about a gallon of fuel around I
    got loads of rust out of the tank. The new filter was heavily loaded and the
    inlet screen of the high pressure pump was also loaded up. And the cross-over
    pipe was completely plugged. This time I was determined to get all of the rust
    out and follow that up with sealant to lock down anything that was left and
    prevent further rusting. I used a gas tank sealer kit from Eastwood, but went
    a bit further than they suggest.

The tank, having been recently acid dipped had no varnish in it. So a simple
    wash with a strong TSP solution removed the remaining organics. I made up a
    simple plug for the hole where the in-tank pump mounts that could easily be
    removed. Think of a round disk of plywood with a bar on the bottom and a couple
    of screws to snug the bar up. Drop that into the opening, rotate slighty to
    engage the lock ears on the tank and tighten the screws. The remaining
    openings were closed up with pieces of a freezer bag held in place with rubber
    bands.

About a gallon of diluted acid in the tank was about right. That was enough to
    slosh around well but not so much as too make the tank to heavy. I used an acid
    mix sold for cleaning masonry that's composed of Hydrochloric and Phosphoric
    acids at about double the normal dilution. Over the course of a couple of
    hours I'd slosh and flip tank every fifteen minutes to wet all parts of the
    tank with the solution. At the end of a couple of hours I drained the tank and
    disposed of the pretty well spent acid by reacting it with limestone gravel.

To flush the tank I made up a right-angle spray nozzle with plumbing fittings
    and a 1/4" hose barb. That allowed the nozzle to be inserted into the tank and
    a high velocity stream sprayed into all corners. This was done with the tank
    at about a 30deg angle (drain plug hole down) and the fluid collected into a
    bucket. When the water ran clean and no more loose junk came out I repeated
    the acid treatment and flush. It took all of one Saturday and part of Sunday
    to get the tank to the point that no more rust could be seen and nothing was
    being flushed out of the tank.

The last steps were to use the acid etch from the Eastwood kit, flush with
    acetone, and apply the sealer. Before putting the sealer in the tank I removed
    the cross-over pipe and sealed those openings. And after the sealer had been
    applied and before it had a chance to harden I blew out those openings and the
    tubing that runs across the top of the tank with compressed air. After drying
    for a couple of days the tank was reassembled and reinstalled in the car.

Once sealed the inside of the tank had a fairly uniform white coating. I did
    see a few specks of matter that I wasn't able to flush from the tank, but
    those were well locked in place by the sealer.

Cleaning and sealing the tank is pretty labor intensive. But at a total cost
    of less than $80 it is a lot cheaper than a new tank (~$400 for this car).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL