Thread: M73 oil pan and filter housing questions...

My Cars
    01 750iL

M73 oil pan and filter housing questions...

So...

In do my oil change yesterday I noticed 2 things....

First, the mounts on my remote oil filter housing are busted... houw do you get to the bottom of the flange to loosen/ tighten the nuts on the bottom of the rubber mounts?

And second, I noticed that the threads on my oil drain plug and pan were damaged... what does it take to drop the pan and replace it?

Richard

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    To remove the rubber mounts...all you have to do is turn them counter-clockwise after removing the two nuts on top (#20). They will come right off.

The diagram is drawn incorrectly...it makes it look like there's a nut on the underside...but it's not...those nuts (#20) are actually on TOP of the rubber mounts (#19).

The rubber mounts just screw down into the bracket that supports the oil filter reservoir...then the reservoir sits on the rubber mounts, then you secure it with the two nuts (#20). It's easy as pit to take off the old broken rubber mounts and install your new ones.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    01 750iL
    Well... that helps for #1.... thanx.... I thought it was going to be hard.... Can you remove the cap without getting oil all over the place? 2 of the 5 tabs that retain the oil filter broke so I was going to replace the cap too...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    To remove the rubber mounts...all you have to do is turn them counter-clockwise after removing the two nuts on top (#20). They will come right off.

The diagram is drawn incorrectly...it makes it look like there's a nut on the underside...but it's not...those nuts (#20) are actually on TOP of the rubber mounts (#19).

The rubber mounts just screw down into the bracket that supports the oil filter reservoir...then the reservoir sits on the rubber mounts, then you secure it with the two nuts (#20). It's easy as pit to take off the old broken rubber mounts and install your new ones.

Last edited by darkstarmedia; 11-15-2009 at 10:14 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Under normal circumstances, yes. When you undo the Oil reservoir cap...the oil in the reservoir should drain out.

But if the filter doesn't lift up with the cap because the tabs in the lid are broken...go slow just in case the filter doesn't lift up high enough to allow the oil to drain.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Here is a trick.

I use one of the plastic rain sleeves from a news paper.

Pull it back over your arm like a sleeve. Grab the filter and pull the sleeve back off your arm with the filter inside. You can grab it good, break it free, and never get dirty or oil everywhere.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    01 750iL
    news paper? ya mean those antiquated things that some supermarkets sell... do they still make those?

Richard

My Cars
    Mine filter mounts were broken on my 7 and i kinda made some...

I took a bolt that would fit the thread on the housing mount(I believe its an m10). Then I put a rubber hose on the bolt then a bigger rubber hose over that. Its worked great for the last 6 months.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Get a new drain plug for the next service

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    98 740iL
    I saw some threads on here about the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]oil[/COLOR][/COLOR] housing. How do you get the old pieces from the old filters out? The top and the bottom is stuck in the oil housing.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Trese View Post
    I saw some threads on here about the housing. How do you get the old pieces from the old filters out? The top and the bottom is stuck in the oil housing.
    Pull, twist, dig...or whatever it takes to get it out. There is no science or trick. Just pull any remaining pieces of an old stuck oil filter out of the reservoir. It (the filter) just sits inside the reservoir...and there are some teeth up in the lid that should grab onto the top of the filter when you screw it on.

If your filter is stuck, the last person that changed it either overtightened the lid...or used a cheap filter that has fallen apart...or the oil change interval was too long and the filter has been in there too long.

Under normal circumstances (because of the teeth up in the lid) the filter should lift out attachted to the lid when you undo it the next oil filter change.

Removing oil filter & reservoir lid:

--

Replacing oil filter & reservoir lid:
    --

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Ehh Q have to add!

Replace the O ring and ALWAYS click the filter in the cap FIRST so you don't damage the filter when pressing down

pre lube the O ring to prevent leaks

Click filter in place

Like this

Then insert back

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    That works.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    if you do it your way there is a chance the tabs could break

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I will definitely try it that way the next time...although I always make sure not to over-torque the lid when I screw it back on.