Thread: M54 vs. M56 Difference?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325Ci

M54 vs. M56 Difference?

What it the difference between an M54 vs an M56? I just bought a 2003 BMW 325Ci .. does anyone know which it is?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Should tell you on the drivers side door jam...maybe? Your car could be either....pray it is not an M56....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1064599

Read the bove thread......doesn't sound good to me though. Sorry man.

To find out for sure...take the last 7 of your VIN and type it in (where it says serial number) at the below link...and let us know what you have.....so we can either laugh or cry....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
    Last edited by danewilson77; 11-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    E46 330i
    aside from being 3.0 and 2.5? not much

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuit View Post
    Not so sure about that....

My Cars
    '90 535i
    2003 325ci = M54 all day long right?
    It's MAF'd.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325Ci
    ok thankfully it's not the m56 much to my relief. thanks so much for the links-- basically i think it's the emmision control modifications that make the m56 different than the m54. its production lasted from 02-04 only
    thanks!!

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    I have the m56 enginge what's so bad about it?
    Saving BMWs one basket at a time.
    BMWs saved 2

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    M56 is great u guys are mean. The difference is... Sulev vs ulev it has stainless steel fuel lines, sealed fuel system all together. The M56 is just a green car.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuit View Post
    No. My mother owns a 330 with a 3.0L, it is M54. I own a 325 with a 2.5l, it is M54. The only down side to m56 is working on it. Also modifying it, it's real sensitive and will throw codes left and right if u try.
    Last edited by slvrXI; 11-16-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    2.5 liter M56 sulev motors were sold only in MA, NY and CA to meet tougher air quality standards. If I recall correctly, you can tell the M56 by the fact that its oil filler cap is farther back towards the windshield, and the M54's us in front near the VANOS. Power ratings were the same.

My Cars
    German Civic
    The main problem with the M56 is the integrated fuel filter. You would have to replace the entire fuel tank if it ever goes bad (BMW claims it's a "lifetime" filter but we've heard that misleading pitch before--no filter, fluid, or part is indestructible--it need only survive the survive the warranty period).

Power modding isn't so much an issue--the regular M54B25 isn't that responsive to non-F/I applications to begin with.

Most of the "enhanced" emissions control devices in US market cars (especially SULEV/M56) are far more trouble than they're worth. A good example of this would be the secondary air pump, a notoriously failure prone piece of $400 equipment which will throw a code when it goes and has no purpose other than to circulate air through the cats to bring them up to operating temperature a few seconds quicker on a stone cold engine start. Short of replacing it or building a device to trick the ECU, you would have to ignore the code at the risk that a real problem could develop unnoticed or at the hassle of routinely rescanning for new codes. The Euro market cars don't even have this; you have to appreciate the irony of a country (i.e. the US) that requires absurd emissions control crap like this while tolerating (even encouraging) the proliferation of fuel guzzling SUVs.

And FWIW: the M54 comes in both 2.5L and 3.0L versions (and, actually, 2.2L, in markets besides the US). The 330 has the M54B30 and the 325 has the M54B25.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    M56 is great u guys are mean. The difference is... Sulev vs ulev it has stainless steel fuel lines, sealed fuel system all together. The M56 is just a green car.

No. My mother owns a 330 with a 3.0L, it is M54. I own a 325 with a 2.5l, it is M54. The only down side to m56 is working on it. Also modifying it, it's real sensitive and will throw codes left and right if u try.
    So me putting in air intake and new exhaust and things as such as that will throw a code.?
    BMWs saved 2

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Heavier modifications. You will be 100% fine with exhaust. And intake should not be an issue.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    Heavier modifications. You will be 100% fine with exhaust. And intake should not be an issue.
    Oh thank the good lord my high hopes for my car went from good god I can't wait too get this too. Man why did I even get this car. But now my faith is restored once again in my E46
    BMWs saved 2

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocNC View Post
    Oh thank the good lord my high hopes for my car went from good god I can't wait too get this too. Man why did I even get this car. But now my faith is restored once again in my E46

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Saloon
    Look under your hood the oil cap location is different on a M54 its on top of the valve cover a M56 oil cap down at the left hand corner of the valve cover..

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Holy 5 year old thread revival?

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    2004 330Ci

My Cars
    BMW 2003 325i M56

Not so fast. What looks like a Cherry car is actually a Lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocNC View Post
    I have the m56 engine what's so bad about it?

I don't know your experience, and believe me, it hurts me to admit this because I love my 325i and how it drives. But other owners and all the mechanics I have talked to warned me that this car was the worst specific model BMW ever made. I would not listen to the critics, I kept defending this model. But after a long hard struggle and a drained bank account, I am ready to throw in the towel.

The M54 model however is evidently is a classic and a great car. But the M56 was BMW's attempt to be more cautious with fuel emissions and it was a failure from a MAINTENANCE standpoint. Once the car hits 100,000 miles and even before, there was always something going wrong with it. Especially after 100K, the car would incur monthly expenses to fix something - it got to be ridiculous. It was like pouring money into a black hole that you could never see the end of it, while all along the car kept depreciating in value. My recommendation to you is if it still runs right now, sell it or get rid of it fast. And get a different BMW model. You will be happier in the long run. Or lease a car so you won't have to put up with the maintenance headaches.