Thread: Looking for mechanic in San Diego?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3

Looking for mechanic in San Diego?

1999 M3 convertible----just cruising along one afternoon and out of nowhere the check engine light came on----I few minutes later the engine starting running rough. I pulled over and had the car towed to a shop. They changed the plugs and coils with no change. They ran a compression test and cylinders 4 & 5 at 60 psi. The car did not over heat. They wanted another $600 to check the head gasket...I am filing for bankruptcy here in Socal after getting a divorce-I paid off the ex to keep the house and the real estate market has collapsed. I think you see where I am going. I don't have much $ to put into this . I was told I may need a new head gasket kit? maybe need the head done at a machine shop? maybe a new cylinder head (quoted $3500 for just ther head) maybe I have a cracked block? I have a limited knowledge as you can probably tell. I was thinking of just parking the car for a month or two to try and save up some funds. Someone else might give me $2-3,000 to take it off my hands. I love this car. I have not had the money to properly maintain this car. I did have front & rear brakes done recently, I need the transmission flushed, shocks, alinement and oil change (last changed 10 months/2200 miles ago). Sooooooooo any ideas or thoughts? Recommendations?
    J. Dillon
    john@premier-graphics.biz

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    I'll take it off your hands.

Is it an auto or a manual. That isn't a very good compression. It sounds strange that it's just on cylinders 4 and 5. It seems like it would be either 1-6, 2-5, or 3-4.

The only thing you can really do is pull the head. Depending on the tools you have and the basic car knowledge you can do it yourself. If you have the tools supplies is only around 200.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    For a good shop check out DTM in Oceanside

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>