Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Vorshlag $2010 GRM Challenge car - BMW E30 V8

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by spider2077 View Post
    question about 5 lug on the rear, I dont even have disk barkes can I convert to disk from drum or do I have to cahange the arms all togather ?!?!
    wow, I haven't even heard about e30 with drum barkes...
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    95 M3 Coupe, 00 C5 Vert
    Awesome project guys, keep up the good work!

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    wow, I haven't even heard about e30 with drum barkes...
    well you have now i'm from europe i think that US models all came with disk :P

here is a tech thing... whants the diffrence in spark plusg what if I dont have the right code for my car ??
    Last edited by spider2077; 03-07-2010 at 05:34 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    function (in-budget and small) defeats form (lots of money for no reason) once again in the form of the steering!!!
    I think a V8 E30 is considered rear-steer, isn't it?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    Update for Feb 18, 2010: Going to E36 M3 spindles mean we'd need M3 rotors, calipers, and more.
    supposedly E32/e34 6 cylinder cars have front calipers that will pnp bolt to e36m front spindles- somebody had a write up about it. this would let u guys have 315mm rotors; im sure e36m front spindles can be gotten cheap, they use the same front wheel bearings as any e32/e34

you should test, i would if i still had my e32
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38
    scrap the v8 it has power but a e36 3000 cmc m3 engine is super in response, had the chance to drive on for 200 miles last night its super the respons is super it indiscrible :P

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    scrap the v8 it has power but a e36 3000 cmc m3 engine is super in response, had the chance to drive on for 200 miles last night its super the respons is super it indiscrible :P

i don t think you understand the concept of a budget of $2010 US

good for you for having driven "a 36 3000 cmc m3 engine"
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38
    if you put it that way ( here in europa you can find a well working engine m3 complete with the hole buget

My Cars
    '90 325is '88 M3 '87 iX
    Still anxiously awaiting update...

My Cars
    95 M3
    if you put it that way ( here in europa you can find a well working engine m3 complete with the hole buget
    yeah a big hole in the budget...
    These cars are tighter than a douchebag's turtle neck. By mipktb
    It likes getting raped. It runs better. By Volfinator

My Cars
    BMW
    wow that's cash to burn...

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Update for March 25, 2010: Better late than never? I'm a little tardy in updating the E30 project from work we did 2 weeks ago. We've had some thrashing on the E46 since then, including the first autocross in it (at the Texas National Tour, where it took 1-2). And we've had the busiest week of business ever here at Vorshlag, followed by the new busiest week on record.

Anyway, the GRM Gang of 8 met on Thursday March 25th and we had 3 crews going at once (3 of us met again last Thursday, but sat around and watched an F1 race instead of working - doh!). One crew was busy cleaning - the T5 transmission was thoroughly cleaned (externally), and the rear calipers were cleaned as well. Amazing what you can do with a brass wire wheel brush and a parts cleaner. They calipers will be rebuilt with new seals, pads and rubber lines (and under the safety umbrella none of it will ding the budget - yay!) but the T5 will remain as-is. Don't wanna crack open that case, or risk screwing something up (bad karma). And yes, its a $100 T5. And we have another identical $100 T5 as a spare. That's not some crazy deal, just simple CraigsList searches, done locally. Its not a popular T5 version - its one everyone ignores. More about this not-so-special T5 transmission soon.

We had another group that bolted the trans to the bellhousing and played with some other parts I can't discuss, but if I show any of that I'll spill all the beans - so it'll have to wait. :devil look:

We had another crew of team members removing the stock halfshafts, diff, and 4-lug hubs. That was a bit of a chore, but we had the tools and the know-how to get 'em off - and we did it clean. The rear wheel bearings went unscathed, thankfully. We'll be sliding in the 5-lug hubs (junkyard sourced from a Z3) soon enough, along with the Z3 rotors and rear calipers.

We have a LSD equipped E30 diff in a very desirable (for our build) 2.79 rear ratio in hand, delivered all the way from Nebraska free of charge by a kind soul that was coming down to the Texas Tour two weekends ago. Saved us a bundle in shipping this 90 pound lump! Thanks again Christy. Not much to see with that yet - its still in a garbage bag, and its oily.

The car is temporarily sitting on the wrong trailing arms and 5-lug hubs - these rear arms and hubs are straight out of a Z3, and widen the track by a whopping 3.5". With the hubs swapped into the proper E30 trailing arms we only gain about an inch of track width over stock, or so my crude measurements make me think (see rotor pics at the bottom of this post). We raised the rear ride height all the way up, thinking the little 15x7 bottlecaps wouldn't clear the fenders. It looks... hilarious. We just wanted to get it off the dang lift so we could prep the E36 M3 and E46 330 for upcoming track and autocross events they are being run at this Saturday and Sunday (we just don't have enough on our schedule).

The E30's old M20B27 motor and Getrag 5-spd trans are being sold this Friday for $300, and that will take the purchase price for the E30 back to $200 in the budget. Once the front and rear seats are sold that should bring the sum down to nearly $0 - which is a common achievement among $200X GRM competitors.

We've got a bit of reinforcement work to do on the stock E30 rear trailing arms, subframe, trunk floor/diff mount, and several bushings to whittle out of some scrap Nylon that Derek found, but that's going to have to wait until next time.

Cheers,
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    1985 325e 1983 633cs
    Update please!!!

Past:
    84 325e
    85 325es dinan
    84 325e m50 swapped
    89 535i
    92 525i
    84 633csi
    98 323is mtech
    Present:
    97 e36 m3
    88 635csi

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Why not go with Z3M rear rotor and calipers. The rotor is vented appears to manage heat better.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Why not go with Z3M rear rotor and calipers. The rotor is vented appears to manage heat better.

how much do those cost?

is it really worth spending money on rear brakes compared the the fronts or any other part of the car?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Updates from April 8, 2010: We worked on a bunch of little stuff last Thursday. First off was a mock-up of the new LSD equipped E30 diff we scrounged for the car, but we wanted to put it in with an E36 rear diff cover for added strength.

We got a dual eared E36 rear diff cover for almost nothing and cleaned it up. The plan was to slap this onto the E30 diff and make new mounts in the chassis and reinforce the trunk floor to hold the added torque from the V8. The single-ear E30 diff mount is prone to ripping a big hole in the trunk when high grip/hp is applied to the rear subframe. We're hoping to have lots of both, so....

Well, the dual eared mount E36 rear diff cover doesn't quite just "bolt onto an E30 diff housing" as we've been told, of course. The reluctor wheel for the speedometer sticks out of the E30 case farther than in an E36 housing. This wheel hits the speed sensor and deeper dished E36 cover, so we'll be cutting those down to make the E36 rear cover fit.

Our Kirk Racing 4-point roll bar is here, which we want to have to mount harnesses to and for just more on-track safety (for UTCC), so we removed the front and rear seats to prepare for the install. None of those seats are going back in, and here's why: The rear seat becomes useless when you add a 4-point roll bar, and it weighs close to 30 pounds. The front seats don't look like they'll be good enough for track use, and replacing them with aluminum seats (used or homemade) will lower the weight even further. The goal is to lose 60 pounds in the front/rear seats, which is what the 4-point bar weighs. We hope to offset the weight of the roll bar completely.

We're also trying something different - just to see if it works. The Z3 rear 5-lug hubs stick out 1" wider than the 4-lug E30 hubs (see pic above, left), which is moving our wheel package outboard WAY too much. When we're dealing with a 15x10 and 18x11 wheel packages, this is critical. One of our team members (Chris) had an old E36 non-M rear 5-lug hub, rotor, and half-shaft, and we took some measurements - wow. Using this hub and rotor moves the hub/rotor face inboard .45", for a reduction in track width from the Z3 hubs of almost three inches overall. All of the other hub dimensions are the same, and it can work with the existing E30 rear hub bearings and E30 half-shafts (the E36 half-shafts are about 1" longer).

We slapped in one of the E36 non-M rear hubs onto the E30 trailing arm and it looks good. REALLY good for our big honkin wheels. This not only moves the wheel face inboard, but moves the rotor inboard by the same amount, so we'd need to make custom brackets to fit the calipers to the trailing arms to the E36 non-M rear rotors (we mocked all of this up but didn't take pics). This is still a work in progress so... "don't try this at home". It might be more trouble than its worth, but we're going to try it. We need to reduce track width badly, and this might work.

Speaking of reducing... we need to reduce the purchase price of the car within our GRM budget, so here's some stuff for sale! All of these parts came in this 1986 BMW 325e when we bought it, so we can reduce our purchase price by the amount each piece is sold for (up to the total price of the car). Once we have the car price down to $0, we're good.

FOR SALE

Front Seats, brackets and sliders - brand new! = $150 + shipping.

Stock Rear E30 Seat, upper and lower, good condition = $75 + shipping.

Stock E30 4-lug bottle cap wheels and tires = $85 + shipping. Re-painted gloss black this week. Murdered out! Tires are all the same size (195/60/14) and condition (crap) but from 3 different tire brands.

I really don't want to ship this stuff, but if a buyer insists I will. Shipping charged would be straight UPS Ground costs, no discounts or "bundled prices". We have to account for every penny on all bought/sold transaction on this project, guys. Send me an email with your address and what part(s) you want to buy to fair (at) vorshlag (dot) com and I can get you UPS Ground shipping quotes on any of these items. And no, I won't break up the wheel sets, seats, etc.

BMW E30 2.7L motor + 5-spd trans + DME = $300 (we will not ship this). We've had some interest from our CraigsList ad, and almost had it sold last Friday, but the guy cannot get it all back to Lubbock. Anyone making a trip from North Dallas to Lubbock sometime soon willing to help transport this drivetrain and help this guy out, please let me know! I'll get you in touch with him and yall can work out a price/logistics. Or if you want to buy it, its still for sale. Engine, accessories, trans, harness, DME = all for a package price.

One more thing... I looked at a Vorshlag/AST customer's E30 M3 at a BMWCCA Club Race last weekend that had the "right parts" (according to the experts) for a proper E36 front suspension swap: E36 struts (4200s), Vorshlag E30 camber plates, '96-99 M3 LCAs, '95 M3 offset LCA bushings, and '95-99 M3 spindles/brakes. Beautiful car, and fast. Anyway, the wheel is still not centered enough for my liking, and it has +10° of caster - which is enough to make for some weird weight jacking at high steering angles (seen in auto-x), we think. We already know we cannot fit the E36 M3 12.5" diameter brakes inside out 15" wheels, so this E36 M3 spindle swap is not going to happen in our project. We are going to make custom tubular LCAs instead - its cheaper and it can fix the wheel centering issue "more". We'll lose some of the caster with our custom fixed top mount we're going to whittle out of some scrap steel.

Next up: This week we start work on the sunroof delete (lowering weight, adding headroom, adding strength, and the old headliner was trashed). Team member DaveB has a method of re-using the old outer sunroof skin that I've never seen before, and it more than covers the hole in the roof while preserving the dual curves of the roof line. He did it to his E36 last week for $0, and it looks perfect. Never seen one look this clean and cost so little. We'll around play more with the rear hubs/brakes, and start tinkering with the custom front LCAs we know we're gonna need. The roll bar goes in after the sunroof delete is complete, too.

Anyone that has a line on some used aluminum 1-piece fixed back racing seats, please send me a PM. We might have found one for $50, but it would be nice to have 2.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sunroof delete while retaining sunroof skin? Lies. Pics please
    [2.25" Magnaflow][3.38 LSD][GC Track/School][3.5" HFM][Cosmos V2 + Tuning][UUC Sway Bars][UUC Subframe Bushings, RTAB, RSM w/ Plates, Trans. Mounts][X-Brace][Brembos]

My Cars
    1995 M3/2/5 Cosmos
    very nice stuff, I was going to say, instead of grinding on the E30 diff, could you not make a spacer and 2 gaskets out of steal/aluminum?

My Cars
    none
    i did a sunroof delete recently and I'd like more pic of what that guy actually did

also, nice tape job on the wheels, LEGIT lol
    Last edited by Colby Colbs; 04-15-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by Karuza View Post
    Sunroof delete while retaining sunroof skin? Lies. Pics please
    Hopefully we're doing this sunroof delete tonight when the GRM team arrives. We're working Sunday as well, so we might (might!) have it completed by then. Trying to get that done so we can get the roll bar installed ASAP.

As usual we'll post plenty of pics on the technique... its pretty simple, just never seen it done this way. Saves a LOT of work, time and money, and looks darn good.

My Cars
    hunting for the next
    does he just separate the top (outer) skin from the sun roof panel. Then just fold the edges out, tack it in, then fill?

Seems that would be the easiest.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcone? View Post
    does he just separate the top (outer) skin from the sun roof panel. Then just fold the edges out, tack it in, then fill?

Seems that would be the easiest.
    yuuuup

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    So whats the scoop on the motor swap???

I understand a full update may not be ready, how bout just a teaser?

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Update for April 15, 2010: The crew showed up last night and we got a lot of work done. The best part - everyone got to plasma!

We had a special guest - JeffD from corner carvers forum was in town from Chicago and joined the team for a long night of destruction on the E30. Jeff had some great insight on E30s, as well as products from ZF/Sachs/Lemforder, for which he is a rep. He even had some suggestions for a clutch for my DSP E46. Thanks for the help, Jeff!

Jeff was kind enough to stop by and lend a hand - and do the nastiest of the plasma cutting inside the car!

Costas spent the night in obscurity, running the numbers for pilot bushing engagement with our "never before attempted" trans to motor adaptation. Once he had the setup of parts that had enough pilot bearing/input shaft support he bolted the pressure plate, clutch and bushing onto the block. McCall is getting us one little fitting we need today to hook up the hydraulic throwout bearing that came with the T5 we're using. No pictures of this work performed, as it would give too much away...

Meanwhile the rest of the Thursday night crew attached the sunroof and trunk, cutting away a lot of dead weight. We had originally tried to emulate the pretty and proper Sunroof cassette/frame removal tips from some online sources, but that was, like, hard. Instead, we went straight for the plasma cutter. Everyone loves sparks!

I spent some time with the cutoff wheel trying to do the sunroof structure removal "the right way". Screw that noise.

Looks like about 35 pounds of crap associated with the sunroof.

We'll skin the sunroof, flatten the lip/edge, trim it to fit the hole, and weld it in place this weekend.

Derek and Chris gutting the trunk lid. Me at far right, holding a beer in one hand and heat gun in the other.

Derek and Chris attacked the underside of the trunk lid, with plasma, heat gun, and putty knife. They got the bulk of the structure out, and the hinges, dropping another 7-8 pounds off the back end. The paint still looks OK and the trunk is still strong enough to support aero loads and such. Next up - the hood, where 50+ pounds awaits to be gutted away.

More work this Saturday - the April work push has begun.
    Last edited by Fair; 04-16-2010 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3/2/5 Cosmos
    updates?

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast