Thread: Replacing the ECU in a 2000 528i?

My Cars
    BMW

Replacing the ECU in a 2000 528i?

Is it possible to do your own ECU replacement on these cars, or does it have to be re-programmed? I am new to BMW. I hear you have to have ot programmed by the dealer? True or not and anyway to DIY? Thanks!!

My Cars
    85 M635,85 535i,01 DINAN
    It has to be coded and aligned with the EWS system.
    My fleet:
    85 535iM Cinnabar, 85 M635 Cinnabar, 93 325iA Bronzit, 97 318i Silver, 99 540i 6-spd Scwartz

My Cars
    BMW
    Is it possible to DYI?

Any further info or a link? FAQ?

My Cars
    03' M5
    why are you replacing it??

My Cars
    BMW
    Dealer said ECU is going bad.

I'm just checking to make sure it is true, there is now way for end user to swap it and have it work?

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Get me a fault code and problem with you car. I'll tell you if needs a new one or not.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    1997 328iS - Boston Grün
    why not try ecudoctors.com? It's cheaper than replacing the DME and you don't have to code anything!
    Ian - Canton, OH

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    My E23 ECU went bad after 10 years. In contrast, the E39 ECU is rarely defective.

Make sure you check everywhere else before condemning the ECU.

This is from my car (1998 528i 5-sp MT), passenger's side Cabin Filter Area (the slot next to the Engine ECU is for Automatic ECU, which in my case is empty because I have Manual Transmission):

Check your VIN Number and the existing Number before buying any ECU
    1. New is expensive!
    2. Used is about $160-200 on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-ENGINE-CONTROL-UNIT-DME-ECU-E46-E39-323-328-528-Z3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270476473227QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

My Cars
    BMW 533i
    you can only get used dme for older models like those using ms41 or those use on m52 equipped cars. unlike the older ms41 units, the ms42 unit on the ebay posting above cant be recoded/aligned with another ews unit. i was told by a bmw tech on this. hope someone can clarify this.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    any DME will have to be coded/aligned to your car for the car to crank.

A used DME can be recoded with your vin and than coded to your car. I have done this hundereds of times. It all depends on the dealer and if the tech has knowledge of how to do it. We do it, but give no warranty on the repair if using a used DME. teh cust has to supply the DME. So basically if I code a used DME to your car and it is also defective than you are SOL and you still pay the bill.

But yes, what is your car doin, very rarely do DME's go bad. it is not uncommon but rare
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    01 530i
    Just had a reputable german repair shop in my area tell me my ECU and SRS modules are "corrupted"

01 BMW 530i

To fill you in
    It had a sunroof leak
    And the power distribution fuse box under the passenger seat/carpet as well as the little green airbag sensor right by it were severely corroded

I fixed all thos issues
    And the car starts fine, but idles really rough
    And is giving me these trouble codes on my Bavarian Autosport OBD2 reader

Table 19 4A A8 C6 CA E3 E4 EF F0 F1 F2 F3

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackh3art View Post
    Just had a reputable german repair shop in my area tell me my ECU and SRS modules are "corrupted"
    I already replied in your other thread. I would not trust that shop nor assume you need a replacement MS43 DME just yet. If you indeed do, you can buy a used one and have it flashed with EWS delete software so it will work with your car. It would also need to be coded to your car using NCS Expert, but that’s not hard.

Focus on diagnosing the engine running issues first.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    A 2000 528 uses an MS42 DME. I have a spare one at my storage unit that I plucked out of my old 2000 528 wagon before I junked it if you need one. Car was running like a top before I hydroplaned it and spun a 180 into a concrete wall, 75mph.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    01 530i
    Damn
    Im sorry man thats harsh

But the engine is in good shape
    I know you dont know me
    But no leaks
    Nothing on the engine is broken
    She ran perfectly fine before the sunroof leak

Heres a pic of what the pdfb looked like

This powered the modules in question

I used colored tape to flag and one by one cut out and replaced the sections that were corroded

And there was enough of the heavy wire from the trunk to move a few inches up and cut away the corroded part

I made double sure my wore lugs were properly crimped on all the wires

From the sources Ive read
    Drops in current from the battery can result in modules getting corrupted or damaged

Im not gonna say I know for a fact
    As this my first bmw

But seeing as theres independent sources with info about the issue
    I feel this is legitimate

But if you can show me otherwise
    Im listening

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39 530i, Ford Territory
    just reading your thread, i also have an 01 530i i to had a similar issue from a sunroof leak, but only found the issue when my wife managed to lock our 3mth old daughter in the car with the keys inside the car....mmmm dont ask, the fire department was called(i wasnt present-i was at work & spare key was at home) so they just smashed the drivers window to access the car to get the baby out, on repairing the car i didnt worry about disconecting the battery(& if i had id probably be none the wiser to the corroded wires under the carpet)as i have a scan tool & just asumed id clear the srs fault & everything would be fine, but when my snap-on scan tool(or any other scan tool for that mater)would not connect to the srs or abs systems,(it kept comming up with communication error/can-bus error, which made me look further to find the can-bus junction boxes & found a simillar mess to yours, once i repaired the corroded wiring ive had no further issues. Ohh yes i also repaired the sunroof leak as well......as stated by earlier post you can program anthor DME to the car NCS expert/inpa will do it, but before that id be have a look at those wires again an making sure its 100% as it is possible the corrosion has eaten further up the wiring, does the car drive fine once in motion & only act up at idle or is the issue there no mater what the rev range? have things like spark plugs, coil packs, throtal body all been looked at? as earlier post have stated its not to major to do the DME & im sure u could find someone near by from the forum that could do this for you if u slipped them a few dollars ,but it would be a real pain to have this done or even have it done a few times (probably by a DME from the junkyard for $100/200)& still have the issue

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by goz777 View Post
    as stated by earlier post you can program another DME to the car, NCS Expert/INPA will do it
    No, they won’t. A used DME will have a different ISN than the existing EWS, so the engine will crank but won’t start.
    You would need to unlock the DME and flash it with software configured for EWS delete. This wiki describes how to do that on MS43.
    https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43

My Cars
    E39 530i, Ford Territory
    or buy the EWS with the DME?