Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 reliability - better info

My Cars
    2003 Protege5

BMW M3 reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to track cars closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by 3-Series owners. So far I haven't been reporting results separately by engine for the E46, but I'd like to. If enough M3 owners sign up and participate, I'll report results seprately for it.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the M3, free of charge.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

Note: select 3-Series as the model. You'll be able to specify the powertrain later, which will identify your car as an M3.
    www.truedelta.com
    Price comparisons, quick and thorough
    More useful reliability information

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the E46 3-Series to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 150, worse than average (blip at the end of the standard warranty?)

2004: 80, about average

2003: 113, about average

2002: 80, better than average

2001: 143, about average

Less consistent than I'd like--larger sample sizes would likely smooth these out.

I'd like to report separate stats for the M3 in the future--just a matter of getting enough owners involved.

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    93 RSA, 03 M3
    hope more people get involved, it would really help people who are looking to buy one (like me).

My Cars
    See sig
    i got involved, and finally filled out the survey last week.
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hopefully we'll be able to provide some stats for these cars starting in May.

Combined results recently updated:

BMW 3-Series reliability comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    I should know in the next day or two whether we'll have stats for the E46 M3 in May. It's going to be close, so even a few more participants would be very helpful.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Not quite enough responses to provide separate stats for the E46 M in May, but close and so very likely for August.

Based on the data we do have, the repair frequency is very close to that for the regular 3. These updated figures will be posted in about two weeks.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2009 Toyota Tacoma
    I registered for your site, although I don't have an M3 yet, I started filling out info for my truck.

there are a bunch of bugs in the system, it gets really annoying, really fast.
    Mostly when you switch to/from detailed to/from basic or want to separate items, it "looses info or adds info by itself. I almost gave up.

You should really get someone to test the heck out of the system as there are many, many things that are not consistent.

otherwise it's a great resource, for compiling data or just to have your own records.

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Sorry you had so much trouble. I'll take another look. I've tested it pretty thoroughly myself, but it's complex, and I could have missed something.

Is there any chance that the data isn't really lost or added, but it's not clear what the consequences are when varying the level of detail?

Data is never deleted unless you click on the delete. But if you reduce the level of detail, it will stop displaying anything above the new level. It's still in the database, it's just not displayed.

In a related fashion, if you enter something at a high level of detail, then reduce the level, then increase it again later, some information might seem like it's appearing out of nowhere.

It does sound like you're varying the level more than I had anticipated. I figured people would set it at one level then leave it there. So it's certainly possible that you went through a sequence of steps I did not anticipate or test for.

If you can recall the details of a specific instance, I'd love to try to replicate it. I can be contacted here:

http://www.truedelta.com/contact.php
    Last edited by mkaresh; 08-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the E46 3-Series to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2004 3-Series: 87, about average

2004 M3: 49, better than average

2002 3-Series: 99, about average

2002 M3: 120, about average

Very small sample sizes for the M3s, so these results are not precise. The average odometer reading is also much lower for the M3s.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could fully cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up:

BMW 3-Series reliability comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Next week we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. The preview results will be updated as responses come in.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. As I type this the sample sizes for the 2002 and 2004 remain small, while the 2003 and 2005 are each 2-3 responses short of the bare minimum for any results.

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    M3
    I have owned the car for 2.5 years and have done nothing but oil changes and a valve adjustment... I have nothing to contribute

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by FatJohn325 View Post
    I have owned the car for 2.5 years and have done nothing but oil changes and a valve adjustment... I have nothing to contribute
    Actually, it's just as important to learn when a car has required no repairs. Many people seem to like to know which models required the fewest repairs
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also, updated reliability stats this month.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. We're just above or below the minimum for a few years of the E46 M3.

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

dworthy is online now Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That is a good web site to track your milage, ect when it comes to maintaince

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Thanks for putting a good word in.

We've updated the results for the E46 3-Series to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2005: 88, about average

2005 M3: 59, better than average, very small sample size

2004: 84, about average

2004 M3: 44, better than average, very small sample size, much lower average odometer

2002: 86, better than average

2002 M3: 99, about average, very small sample size, much lower average odometer

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

BMW 3-Series reliability ratings and comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    02 e46 m3
    just an idea when asked if you had any repair issuses in the period try adding also for each of us to fill out how many miles ( even with out repairs ) we drove . With winters some of us park and wait for spring. Also if we are dd or garage queens. I know I had no repairs but have not driven mine since they started with salt on roads . In the last 2 months I have not driven mine at all.

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by duecesoftail View Post
    just an idea when asked if you had any repair issuses in the period try adding also for each of us to fill out how many miles ( even with out repairs ) we drove . With winters some of us park and wait for spring. Also if we are dd or garage queens. I know I had no repairs but have not driven mine since they started with salt on roads . In the last 2 months I have not driven mine at all.
    The "no repair" survey does ask for an approximate odometer reading (and not much else), but this doesn't really capture what you're talking about.

Currently I remove cars from active status when people email me to let me know they aren't being driven, but very much need a better way to handle such situations. It gets complicated, given how the data are currently stored and analyzed, but a much better way of handling seasonal cars is on the list of things to do.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the E46 3-Series to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010.

2005: 88, about average

2005 M3: 77, about average, very small sample size

2004: 91, about average

2004 M3: 51, better than average, very small sample size, very low average odometer

2003: 106, about average

2003 M3: 74, better than average, very small sample size,

2002: 106, about average

2002 M3: 111, about average, very small sample size

In general the M3s are driven fewer miles per year than the regular 3s.
    Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping.

We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated our car reliability stats for the E46 M3 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2005: 107, about average

2005 M3: 103, about average, very small sample size

2004: 75, about average

2004 M3: 39, better than average, very small sample size, very low average odometer

2003: 110, about average

2003 M3: 28, better than average, very small sample size,

2002: 104, about average

2002 M3: 74, better than average, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we could provide more precise results.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated our car reliability stats for the E46 M3 and 3-Series to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2006: 33, better than average, very small sample size

2005:118, worse than average

2005 M3: 90, about average, very small sample size

2004: 89, about average

2004 M3: 30, better than average, very small sample size, very low average odometer

2003: 115, about average

2003 M3: 53, better than average, very small sample size,

2002: 108, about average

2002 M3: 57, better than average, very small sample size

2001: 128, about average

2000: 175, worse than average

1999: 149, about average, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could provide more precise results.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

BMW M3 reliability ratings and comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

dworthy is online now Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Mike, thanks for the update! Yeah I try to drive the wifes car more, esp since I have to commute 13 miles one way to work everyday.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated our car reliability stats for the E46 M3 (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2006 2-door: 11, better than average, very small sample size, likely too low to be accurate

2005: 115, about average

2005 M3: 92, about average, very small sample size

2004: 98, about average

2004 M3: 50, better than average, small sample size

2003: 103, about average

2003 M3: 54, better than average, very small sample size,

2002: 96, about average

2002 M3: 59, better than average, very small sample size

In general the M3s are driven about 70 percent as many miles per year as the regular 3s.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in May. With more participants we could provide more precise results.

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated our car reliability stats for the E46 3-Series AND M3 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2005: 59, moderate
    2005 M3: 35, low, very small sample size
    2004: 80, moderate
    2004 M3: 77, moderate, small sample size
    2003: 135, high
    2003 M3: 37, low, very small sample size,
    2002: 102, moderate (but close to "high")
    2002 M3: 94, moderate, very small sample size

In general the M3s are driven about 70 percent as many miles per year as the regular 3s.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more owners involved we could provide more precise results.

Last edited by mkaresh; 07-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated our reliability stats for the E46 M3 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2005 3-Series: 66, moderate
    2005 M3: 45, low, very small sample size
    2004 3-Series: 92, moderate
    2004 M3: 53, low, small sample size
    2003 3-Series: 113, high
    2003 M3: 51, low, small sample size
    2002 3-Series: 130, high
    2002 M3: 96, moderate, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in August and in November.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

www.truedelta.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast