Thread: Replacing intake cam position sensor - S54

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 99 XJR

Replacing intake cam position sensor - S54

I've searched but couldn't find much info specific to the S54. Bentley says I need to remove the intake manifold, fuel rail, and other stuff to replace the intake cam position sensor. Has anyone replaced the sensor on an S54 and is it possible to do it without taking all that stuff off? Anyone have a write-up/pics?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

My Cars
    '03 M3
    I believe Randy knows. I did the exhaust one not too long ago...PITA.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I also did the exhaust one, but I don't think I really had to. What code are you getting and what are the symptoms? Replacing the sensor didn't fix my problem. Spending $6 on a can of MAF cleaner did. You may want to try the inexpensive/fast fixes first.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 99 XJR
    Thanks guys.

Been talking with Randy about it - in fact, he reset the light for me but it came back on. He's on vacation now and doesn't have access to all his photos right now. Both he and the dealer said the code was indicating the intake cam position sensor. So far it doesn't seem to be affecting performance much. I'd like to do it myself if possible, especially in light of the fact that my dealer gave me an estimate of $504 to do it (can't figure how they came up with that number).

I have MAF cleaner. I've not used it on this car yet.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Latest news on the picture gallery, is that Comcast is scheduled to be at Daniel's (dwm) new place on Thursday. It might take him a day or so to get everything unraveled, but when my signature pic reappears, so should everything else.

In any case, we'll be back home Monday or Tuesday, so I can go through the pictures I put up in the gallery, I should have some without the airbox installed and that will show where the intake cam sensor is.

As long as it's running smooth, don't take it to the dealer ($500?? Yikes!!).

My Cars
    01 MCoupe, 88M3, 99XJ
    They are correct in stating that the intake manifold must be removed to replace the intake camshaft sensor. Its not a terrible job, but be sure to have new hose clamps for the throttle bodies. The clamps also use a special tool to re-fasten them. If you need any more information let me know.

Kyle
    88M3, 97 840Ci.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 - '07 Acura TL
    Quote Originally Posted by robmik2000 View Post
    I've searched but couldn't find much info specific to the S54. Bentley says I need to remove the intake manifold, fuel rail, and other stuff to replace the intake cam position sensor. Has anyone replaced the sensor on an S54 and is it possible to do it without taking all that stuff off? Anyone have a write-up/pics?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    I believe you're looking at the 'crankshaft sensor' removal instructions. I just had the intake camshaft sensor replaced and it's behind the air filter box. If you have the Bentley Manual, instructions are on the bottom of Pg 120-18.

If not:

1. remove fuel injector rail cover.
    2. remove air filter housing and ducts.
    3. detach engine vent hose
    4. detach VANOS solenoid connector.
    5. unscrew VANOS solenoid.
    6. reach under intake manifold to disconnect camshaft harness sensor.
    (Note: Prior to removal, attach a stiff wire to connector to aid in proper routing during re-installation)
    7. unscrew camshaft sensor mounting bold.

Good Luck
    Installation is reverse of removal.
    Last edited by tincan96; 11-04-2009 at 11:23 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Thanks, but wrong engine, his is an S-54 with both cam position sensors at the back of the cylinder head.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 - '07 Acura TL
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Thanks, but wrong engine, his is an S-54 with both cam position sensors at the back of the cylinder head.
    Sorry 'bout that...Now that I looked at the list of engines in the book, the S54 IS missing from the list.

My Cars

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by robmik2000 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Join bimmerfest.com and search there. Ron Stygar has a few postings on the matter over there from the past.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Okay, Ron's picture leads me to believe that the airbox does not have to be removed, but the wiring trough at the rear of the engine compartment (only four__4__10mm nuts hold it on) should be temporarily lifted up for access.

My Cars
    Okay, Ron's picture leads me to believe that the airbox does not have to be removed, but the wiring trough at the rear of the engine compartment (only four__4__10mm nuts hold it on) should be temporarily lifted up for access.
    I didn't post anything but the pic because I thought you were going to.

Both following also mention tools.

Remove intake air manifold.

Remove cable strip for fuel injectors.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
    I didn't post anything but the pic because I thought you were going to.

Both following also mention tools.

Remove intake air manifold.

Remove cable strip for fuel injectors.
    I guess I just need to wait until I get home and can see what's in the way on my own car.

Thanks for posting the picture though, it's better than anything I have access to at the moment.

Comcast update: Daniel got hooked up today, but still has some work to do on his end before we're back online.

My Cars
    I guess I just need to wait until I get home and can see what's in the way on my own car.

Thanks for posting the picture though, it's better than anything I have access to at the moment.

Comcast update: Daniel got hooked up today, but still has some work to do on his end before we're back online.
    I have the air manifold and cable strip removal but can't find them.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 11-06-2009 at 12:46 AM.